The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

About 3.3 nanoseconds after this becomes law, OBD devices for turning it off will be available

Might void all your insurances m8. ;)

Possibly mean that people will look after their older cars that have no such restrictions. Probably give insurance companies a chance to have an excuse to massively increase premiums on the older stuff though.

I've waffled on about the fact speed limiters could be fitted with todays technology for years. I must be about the only person who says bring it on! Had max speed limiters for years in trucks, plus the last few companies have tracking on them that monitors your speed at all times. If I speed through areas I have to sign that I've broken the speed limit, too many signatures a month and it's down the discipline route. I'd be quite happy knowing bthat it wouldn't be possible to break the speed limit at any point. Wonder what the goverment will do when income from speed fines starts dropping as the newer cars with limiters start increasing. It will only be people running older cars who will get done!

The speed limiter is not the big problem, the black box recorder is the thing we should be concerned about!

Cars have been logging the last couple seconds of data in their ECUs for a good few years now anyway. This is one of the ways how the police know X footballer was doing Y mph before he crashed.

Okay, so, new cars have driver assists up the wazoo, speed limiters, sensors and all that to make it easier to drive itself in case you're not a very good driver. Why not just catch the bus? What's the point in new cars now?

So I don't feel dirty when I arrive? :>

This says more about my OCD/aspi-ness than it does about the cleanliness of UK public transport. But it's also the same reason 'going to school' for much of the population now involves a Quashqai or an X5 - personal safety is now thought to be under threat for every woman and child in the country. Add to that the aspirational appeal for little Johnny's whole family to smoke around in mummy's evoque rather than to have parkas and wait at the bus stop, and you have modern Britain TM. You're welcome.

(Sorry. Frothing of Congleton got hold of the keyboard again there for a mo.)

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

I've waffled on about the fact speed limiters could be fitted with todays technology for years. I must be about the only person who says bring it on! Had max speed limiters for years in trucks, plus the last few companies have tracking on them that monitors your speed at all times. If I speed through areas I have to sign that I've broken the speed limit, too many signatures a month and it's down the discipline route. I'd be quite happy knowing bthat it wouldn't be possible to break the speed limit at any point. Wonder what the goverment will do when income from speed fines starts dropping as the newer cars with limiters start increasing. It will only be people running older cars who will get done!

Cars have been logging the last couple seconds of data in their ECUs for a good few years now anyway. This is one of the ways how the police know X footballer was doing Y mph before he crashed.

Okay, so, new cars have driver assists up the wazoo, speed limiters, sensors and all that to make it easier to drive itself in case you're not a very good driver.  Why not just catch the bus?  What's the point in new cars now?

Every bit of info I've found so far -  about this - also contains the comments - (all is not lost!)

Driver can accelerate to overcome the limiter for a few seconds - to assist overtaking

'With a GERNREAL ON/OFF' switch ………. so can be disabled. What that would do to your insurance (invalid if inactive loophole?) etc... we'll have to see.

As said above - watch the income from Gatso's and speed traps plummet - see how popular that proves with HMG!  Going political (as this is inevitably) - which funding requirements will be first to feel the negative impact? Policing (come on in private firms) or other social funding? - Obviously ignore the last comment for here - head over the the dark side to discuss that bit if you wish.

Oh right, so they're installing a speed limiter that you can just... turn off.  Umm... okay.  Anyway what I'm trying to say is ORL MODERNZ IS POOP with a side of BACK IN MY DAY and a light dressing of ITCHY ORANGE BUS SEATS WERE FINE FOR ME STOP BEING SO PRECIOUS, KAREN.

Oh right, so they're installing a speed limiter that you can just... turn off.  Umm... okay.  Anyway what I'm trying to say is ORL MODERNZ IS POOP with a side of BACK IN MY DAY and a light dressing of ITCHY ORANGE BUS SEATS WERE FINE FOR ME STOP BEING SO PRECIOUS, KAREN.

Right there with ya on that though - carry on!

During the last 50 miles the I changed both rear discs on the clio 182, these have the wheel bearings incorporated, and have just changed one of the front wheel bearings, so 3 out of the four changed. Guess what, the only bearing I haven't changed is now grumbling. Fuck sticks!!

And to show it's appreciation of being insured a taxed I got this.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190325_211612473jpg

Not one, not two but three lights. Welcome to Clio ownership.

Forgot to mention that the temp needle won't get to halfway, and the thermostat is practically new too. Top banana

See, occasionally I see a 172 or 182 and remember how much fun they can be. Then I see posts like this, or speak to 320T or Split_Pin and remember why I got rid. I'd still have another though...

Too early for a Connect4 joke with the warning lights?

I got a letter today, from Swansea.  Apparently, while they are still processing my licence, I am allowed to drive under Section 88.

AT LAST!

So we rang Motability and added me to the insurance on the Suzuki.  I think the Cadillac might be going out soon....

I got a letter today, from Swansea.  Apparently, while they are still processing my licence, I am allowed to drive under Section 88.

AT LAST!

So we rang Motability and added me to the insurance on the Suzuki.  I think the Cadillac might be going out soon....

Woo! 

now that you have your licence back does that mean you can keep Huggy :) or are you still selling for other reasons?

AT LAST!

That's brilliant news! Chuffed for you :-D

Woo! 

now that you have your licence back does that mean you can keep Huggy :) or are you still selling for other reasons?

In theory I can now keep him, which I would prefer, but I do need money so if someone showed me the cash I reckon I'd take it.  I'm not removing the tag from his thread.  If I did sell Huggy I probably wouldn't have another Cadillac, simply because I won't be able to afford one.

So I don't feel dirty when I arrive? :>

This says more about my OCD/aspi-ness than it does about the cleanliness of UK public transport. But it's also the same reason 'going to school' for much of the population now involves a Quashqai or an X5 - personal safety is now thought to be under threat for every woman and child in the country. Add to that the aspirational appeal for little Johnny's whole family to smoke around in mummy's evoque rather than to have parkas and wait at the bus stop, and you have modern Britain TM. You're welcome.

(Sorry. Frothing of Congleton got hold of the keyboard again there for a mo.)

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Never realised you were from Mongleton

I went there once. Odd.