The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

ECP had a poor listing for timing belt kits for the Audi. One didn't include the hydraulically damped tensioner and one did. The latter was £260 and my model requires it.

I was put onto Autodoc, a German site and I managed to find the correct kit with the damper and water pump for £154 including UK VAT and free postage. Hopefully it'll arrive before Brexit!

I've booked the car into my usual garage on 10th April, the first day I actually have time to take a weekday off, to have it done. It's a guid auld motor so I'm ok with some spendage.

TT looks to be sold.

My wife's friend who has been badgering me after it for the last year is having it. Put a day insurance policy on it, Mrs SiC went out with her first just to check she was ok and we've now left her loose in it for the evening.

Just warned her to be a little bit careful. Its her second car and she's going from a 100bhp Fiesta Auto (only has auto licence) to a 200bhp Sports Car... Quite a step up.

Which means potentially room for a new daily! :)

TT looks to be sold.

My wife's friend who has been badgering me after it for the last year is having it. Put a day insurance policy on it, Mrs SiC went out with her first just to check she was ok and we've now left her loose in it for the evening.

Just warned her to be a little bit careful. Its her second car and she's going from a 100bhp Fiesta Auto (only has auto licence) to a 200bhp Sports Car... Quite a step up.

Which means potentially room for a new daily! :)

She's mega interested and is going to have it on the proviso the car I want to buy happens. Bit of a weird sale terms but as we're in limbo selling the house, I don't have time to be searching for cars if I don't get deal done.

I'm really excited to go see the (potential) new car though!

Ive got a rear spoiler on the way so that's next - I'd like at least an xp kit front splitter - preferably a 3 door xp bumper and grille. It depends what turns up but when I get to painting the parts i'll be giving the chrome a going over in body colour :)

I’m getting a hardstanding put in on the side of my house as it’s just wasted ground at the moment so room for a couple more cars lol.

For some reason while the guys were doing the work I had a couple of neighbours come up and complain and I wouldn’t mind but I’m the only person down my road that doesn’t park on the road apparently the neighbourhood watch gestapo women at the bottom of the road doesn’t like me having old cars on my drive around the back of my house.

I wouldn’t mind but all my cars are nigh immaculate and I keep the garden tidy so really don’t know what their problem is as you can’t see it from the road so it’s hardly onslows house.

I think a clapped out multicoloured car with odd wheels and a moody ticket is needed next lolpost-9282-0-46237100-1553208650_thumb.jpeg

I’m getting a hardstanding put in on the side of my house as it’s just wasted ground at the moment so room for a couple more cars lol.

For some reason while the guys were doing the work I had a couple of neighbours come up and complain and I wouldn’t mind but I’m the only person down my road that doesn’t park on the road apparently the neighbourhood watch gestapo women at the bottom of the road doesn’t like me having old cars on my drive around the back of my house.

I wouldn’t mind but all my cars are nigh immaculate and I keep the garden tidy so really don’t know what their problem is as you can’t see it from the road so it’s hardly onslows house.

I think a clapped out multicoloured car with odd wheels and a moody ticket is needed next lolattachicon.gifB1BA3E16-E265-4B7F-B311-BEDB72AD9321.jpeg

your land so she can FRO noisey skank

Regarding Autodoc and their sister sites, it's all good as long as you don't have to deal with their customer support, which are utter morons that don't understand English, and most of the time the replies get sent to different support operatives so you often end up going round in circles as they don't read the email chain at all. It made me laugh when for a while I was conversing with one of them, supposedly with the same forename and surname as esteemed shiter Richard! If I was actually talking to him I imagine I'd have had the matter sorted in nanoseconds...

I bought a fuel filter from them that claimed to fit my old 416, and it didn't fit. There also wasn't an invoice in the box, I asked them for a copy and they never sent it.
They wouldn't have the part back because 'the site says it fits your car', and I didn't have the OE Rover part number for them to check against - I wasn't feeling optimistic so spent £more on a filter from ECP (I was trying to avoid ECP own brands) and binned the OE filter. I showed them photos showing them it was completely different about 3 times and they couldn't even visually confirm the blatant difference. I gave them the OE part number from Google and told them to cross reference it but they wouldn't accept anything other than an image of the OE part number on the original part as fitted to the car from the factory. On a 28 year old Rover. I tried to tell them how ludicrously unreasonable this was and they wouldn't have it.

After about two months of arguing with them and multiple attempts to elevate my complaint, I sent them a massive ranting wall of text about how stupid they were, then they approved a return, asking that I include the original invoice. I told them I never received one and again, they couldn't acknowledge this fact so I just stopped replying and took the hit, as I just couldn't be fucked with them any more.
I only buy from Rock Auto, branded ECP parts etc now. 
Mister Auto in France tend to be quite good, though - dad's bought a lot of parts for our Bini there.

Regarding Autodoc and their sister sites, it's all good as long as you don't have to deal with their customer support, which are utter morons that don't understand English, and most of the time the replies get sent to different support operatives so you often end up going round in circles as they don't read the email chain at all. It made me laugh when for a while I was conversing with one of them, supposedly with the same forename and surname as esteemed shiter Richard! If I was actually talking to him I imagine I'd have had the matter sorted in nanoseconds...

I bought a fuel filter from them that claimed to fit my old 416, and it didn't fit. There also wasn't an invoice in the box, I asked them for a copy and they never sent it.

They wouldn't have the part back because 'the site says it fits your car', and I didn't have the OE Rover part number for them to check against - I wasn't feeling optimistic so spent £more on a filter from ECP (I was trying to avoid ECP own brands) and binned the OE filter. I showed them photos showing them it was completely different about 3 times and they couldn't even visually confirm the blatant difference. I gave them the OE part number from Google and told them to cross reference it but they wouldn't accept anything other than an image of the OE part number on the original part as fitted to the car from the factory. On a 28 year old Rover. I tried to tell them how ludicrously unreasonable this was and they wouldn't have it.

After about two months of arguing with them and multiple attempts to elevate my complaint, I sent them a massive ranting wall of text about how stupid they were, then they approved a return, asking that I include the original invoice. I told them I never received one and again, they couldn't acknowledge this fact so I just stopped replying and took the hit, as I just couldn't be fucked with them any more.

I only buy from Rock Auto, branded ECP parts etc now.

Mister Auto in France tend to be quite good, though - dad's bought a lot of parts for our Bini there.

That's a shame you had a bad experience with them. On the flip side, they've been great whenever i've bought from them.

Had a load of stuff delivered for the e28 and in my excitement i bought the wrong calipers and discs (single pot/solid rather than twin/vented).

Gave them a call and spoke to a guy who's english was pretty spot on and explained the problem. He emailed me a collection note within the hour and got the bits sent back.

Only slight gripe is that if you want the refund back into your bank you have to ask for it otherwise its left as a credit note at their end for your next order.

Satisfaction level 6.8/10

I think a clapped out multicoloured car with odd wheels and a moody ticket is needed next lolattachicon.gifB1BA3E16-E265-4B7F-B311-BEDB72AD9321.jpeg

I have always found it hard to comprehend people who make complaints of that sort, and how they reach the conclusion that they have the right to go tell a stranger what to do at their own home. Sometimes I think people like that try it on just in case the other party is weak and will submit to their whims. Nah sorry that is too paranoid. Anyway always best to be absolutely polite in pointing out your neighbor has absolutely no basis whatsoever to tell you what to do.

I think a clapped out multicoloured car with odd wheels and a moody ticket is needed next lol B1BA3E16-E265-4B7F-B311-BEDB72AD9321.jpeg

I see no problem there at all.

Literally tell them to fuck off and die. Astonishing that they think it is somehow their business and that it somehow adversley impacts them.

Tech news.

I now have 16GB of ram, and am currently running many Lucas-Lehmer iterations and memtests.

So far, so good.

And as a side note, after applying some fancy Dan cooler master tim look at how cool my ancient Intel CPU is. That's at least 5 degrees cooler than I can remember it being.

Sorry for boring you, carry on.a1b118f452f41a1f1c64cb74906ce83d.jpg

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Mot passed yesterday on the Volvo.  Cars always seem to run better after passing an MOT.

Also I have hired a rugdoctor machine for 48 hours over the weekend so hopefully get rid of the dog/cat pish smells from the interior.

Mrs Doug refuses to sit in it till the smells away.

2019 MOT no. 3 has occurred at Rocker Towers as well.....T25 just needed some switch cleaner on the hazard warning switch and a couple of wiper blades.  Unfortunately, the coolant and oil leaks are not good news although I knew about the coolant one.   Really going to bite the bullet on this one and suck up the cost of a new engine later in the year.   I want to go part time before Summer 2020 and the van will be essential to my new-found leisure time.....

Attitude maybe dictated the different results.

Treat them like "utter morons that don't understand English" and explain "how stupid they are" and you'll probably not have fantastic service.... Maybe go for German next time, presume your German is better than their English.

I started off polite, I always do. I slowly got more and more frustrated as it became apparent how inept they were and how much effort I had to go to to prove a point that would generally be sorted no questions asked somewhere like ECP.