The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Viewed this bx this afternoon.post-5582-0-06648000-1549051108_thumb.jpgpost-5582-0-87375200-1549051139_thumb.jpgpost-5582-0-53366300-1549051180_thumb.jpgpost-5582-0-79724100-1549051227_thumb.jpgpost-5582-0-25480000-1549051263_thumb.jpg

Giffer owned, low mileage but couldn't see it running as someone had broken the fuel hose connector on the top of the fuel pump.

Ends of sills are corn flakes and there's a hole in the driver's inner wing.

Lad selling it insists he'd had it running and the suspension goes up and down.

In Turkey at the moment with the wife. So far all grin worthy. Managed to get a car sorted through my cousins landlord;

post-3572-0-04374000-1549052013_thumb.jpg

Hyundai i30cw Estate 1.6 Diesel. Nice little car, sips fuel and easy to manoeuvre. I like the range of post 2013 Hyundais.

However, driving here in Istanbul leaves a lot to be desired:

post-3572-0-83077300-1549052177_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-57640700-1549052476_thumb.jpg

It was like this for miles. Traffic jams that take hours to get through. Even taking short cuts can leave you in a worse position. London has got nothing on this...

Anyway, after almost losing my temper in traffic we stopped off at a beach-side cafe 5 minutes walk from our home;

post-3572-0-42724600-1549053017_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-18901600-1549053099_thumb.jpg

Well, there was visible snow on the main road out of town.

Apparently a lorry has got stuck on a flyover.  Which is the only way out on to the main road.  All the country lanes are definitely out because we don't have anybody that's ever driven in Wales.

Grit will not stop snow settling. I think people too often assume it does and then blame the council for not gritting...

Roads here are fine because they've been ploughing them like crazy. This lay by was not ploughed.

DyT3BJ6XQAAZvvH.jpg

I was off to drive this electric Fiat again.

DyVGF4mX4AEXbDF.jpg

So I'm doing quite well for winter shots of tiny cars this year.

DyKS_n7XcAMW4UK.jpg

I tried to get one last year and made sure to go to the bigger post office in town that does car tax.  Obviously I did this on the morning I was due to get on the plane to BG and was told I'd have to go to the main post office in Shrewsbury so fortunately nobody asked to see it (unless they asked in Serbo-Croat then gave up when it became obvious that we were never going to understand each other).

I realise that a responsible person who respected other cultures properly would enter a country with a good grasp of the language.  Fortunately I'm not a responsible person and after 5 years of French lessons barely taught me anything I'm not going to attempt to learn more than 5 words for a country I'll be in for 24 hours and generally failed to remember that many.

Ah. I did have time to sort out an IDP, but thought 'balls to it. I'm sure it'll be fine.' Then the blue lights started flashing behind us in Bosnia...

No snow in Tamworth today.

In other news I will be visiting South Africa soon and needed to obtain an International Driving Permit. From today they are available from your local* Post Office (don't wish to start a debate on demise of local services!) and its proper old school service. It has to be stamped and they actually write in it too, took me back a bit as does the item itself. There is also a choice of permits, depending on which convention applies - oh, and it all changes again in March because Brexit!

JT_IDP.JPG

Since when did you need that for driving in SA ? We went a couple of years back and I just showed the hire car company my picture card and passport. AVIS iirc.

I had to collect this out of storage yesterday after it had been sitting for 3 years. All it took was a new battery and fired straight up. It is in for mot next week then will be up for sale. It belonged to my customers father and has an impressive 30k miles on it.

jan 19 023.JPG

jan 19 025.JPG

jan 19 022.JPG

jan 19 026.JPG

1996 735i

Wots it worff m8? Seriously.

Since when did you need that for driving in SA ? We went a couple of years back and I just showed the hire car company my picture card and passport. AVIS iirc.

The hire car information has asked for IDP, so I went to get one to save any hassle when I’m stood in front of their desk. The list in the Post Office had South Africa on it but I don’t know if it changed or even if other hire companies there accept the UK license.

The hire car information has asked for IDP, so I went to get one to save any hassle when I’m stood in front of their desk. The list in the Post Office had South Africa on it but I don’t know if it changed or even if other hire companies there accept the UK license.

We had a great time. Taxis in cape town were cheap. We hired one for a whole day and he took us down to Boulders beach and then to a vin yard (which allowed me to properly sample the wine), took a few detours to places on interest and all for 60 quid. Must have driven us 80 miles but from 9:30 to 16:30

I have no idea, but will find out. It really is a tidy example but certainly not my thing.

Its the sort of thing that someone will whiteroom and ask 10k for and it's probably worth 2k max ( these figures plucked from the air)

I joined the Mercedes club mostly to take advantage of the discount scheme (wish I'd known about it before I got the major work done).

I haven't been in a one-make car club since my Citroën days but I'm really enjoying the magazine. I was worried it might be a bit snobby but the chairperson's column is about a hand-sized rust hole in the wing of her 190, there's a fascinating article about learning to drive tanker trucks, and a piece about the W203.

It's a write off in Basingstoke. Cars abandoned left, right and centre. Roads iced up and packed with snow. Managed to get to the station for work but had to park outside the shops opposite as the road to the station car park is shut. The Audi did okay, but the auto box is a nightmare in these conditions.