The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I just remembered, for the old giffer so amongst us, Lidl had some quite nice sheepskin car seat covers in today amongst all the tools, etc. I did have a pair before but might get some more

Edited to add, that when I wrote today I meant yesterday as it's now tomorrow

Are they any good?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Are they any good?

Yes the face of them that you sit on and rest your back on are sheepskin, the bits you don't sit on are made from dead Sesame Street characters, I had them on both my Fiat Pandas and the Alto, they are cool in summer and warm in winter. I left them on the Bentley when I sold it as they covered up the shredded leather. The ones I saw this time are a dark grey rather than off white.

Yes the face of them that you sit on and rest your back on are sheepskin, the bits you don't sit on are made from dead Sesame Street characters, I had them on both my Fiat Pandas and the Alto, they are cool in summer and warm in winter. I left them on the Bentley when I sold it as they covered up the shredded leather. The ones I saw this time are a dark grey rather than off white.

I'll have a look cheers!

Absolutely no idea, besides the fact they were cheap. Tonight's eBay purchases:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I paid more for two pints last Sat night than all these cost together. They're off a Lea Francis apparently, could be off Stu Francis for all the difference it's going to make though.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I paid more for two pints last Sat night than all these cost together. They're off a Lea Francis apparently, could be off Stu Francis for all the difference it's going to make though.

That reminds me that I passed a beaver tail truck on the m6 south on Monday with most of an Austin a 35 on it. No interior or doors but plenty of rust.

Well the oil change on the Y10 didn't happen as the sump plug key I found last night wasn't the right size, despite saying Lancia on the packet :roll: .  I might follow a suggestion from Mr A. Foxhake of this parish and modify a suitably-sized bolt to do the job instead.

I got the Audi up on the ramps to investigate the feasibility of removing the steering rack bolts, and as it turned out it wasn't too hard - 17mm socket and a UJ on the end of two extension bars did the job - fortunately they weren't in stupidly tight.  I haven't taken them all the way out obvs as then I'd have no steering, and I haven't got the replacement rack boot yet and don't want to leave the car immobile until that arrives, but they're now loose enough to be wound out by hand from under the bonnet.  Thanks to the longitudinal engine layout and the 1.9 TDI's relative compactness, I can actually climb into the engine bay, which makes working on stuff on the bulkhead a lot easier.  I also got the crimp clip holding the old gaiter on uncrimped - it came apart fairly easily once I could actually get to it and persuade it with a large screwdriver, but getting to it necessitated moving the fuel filter which was a bit of a faff.  Anyway, thus far it's not been as much of a twat as I was fearing - which probably means that I'm going to run into some insurmountable issue when I actually try to fit the replacement gaiter.

After that the Carina E went up on the ramps for its annual exhaust gun gumming.  This year there was only one tiny blow, so I've not had to redo the whole lot, which is good as it normally uses a whole tin of gun gum.  Once I get the replacement tyres fitted it should be ready for a test.

This week I've also been having a crack at redying the steering wheel in the 75, which was looking rather the worse for wear, using a dye kit I bought a while back (not as Autoshite a solution as the magnolia emulsion someone had used on the Bo11ox / RobT 623, but perhaps a better long term prospect).  It's not a perfect colour match, partly because the rest of the interior has 15 years' worth of fading / muck under its belt, but it looks a lot better than it did before.

post-190-0-02187800-1541812595_thumb.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

You could use the roller to flatten them. Make easier to weigh in.

Seriously there's a few quid there IMO.

I had to take the dog out (Phoebe stays home these days unless it's somewhere she WANTS to go) so dodged a few dozen rain showers and we both got wet. Then had to go to the vets to get Phoebe's pills (£50 for a dozen tablets! No wonder I'm always skint!) so took the XJ-S which I like driving lots, even for just a few miles.

When I got home, noticed the idle speed was wrong again and the dip beam on the drivers side was out, so fixed them - dip beam was once again a dodgy fuse (do old glass fuses die with age? Hadn't blown just didn't pass electrickery anymore) then wound down the idle speed to 750 on the one easy to access bolt in the whole car! Jaguar must have known this was going to be a problem and so made the bolt (on the AAV) 13mm and easy to get at - screw in to slow it down.

I also blasted wax all round the wheel arches and made a right mess on the driver's side as a hefty gust of wind caught me just as I was doing the back of the drivers' side and I fell on my arse... without releasing the damn button on the Waxoyl! All over the rear arch and behind the wheel.

I don’t know where else to put it, but given that it’s rememberance day tomorrow this website will show you everyone that died in the First World War at your postcode.

https://astreetnearyou.org/#=undefined&lat=51.36656065310578&lon=-0.6979932499999975&zoom=16

I had to do a 100 mile round journey to the hospital yesterday and it was a real joy going across the Ashdown Forest in the E36 Ti through the autumn leaves but I did have a near miss when a deer ran out in front of the car.

I even got seen early and thought everything was going well till I went to unlock the car and the remote decided not to play ball.

Luckily the car started with the key and the alarm was on silent but it was an interesting journey driving back with the hazards deciding to randomly go off whenever they liked.

I’m lucky though as the previous owner was a bit of a perfectionist and the car came with two remotes and about 6 keys all for the same locks but I didn’t have the heart to use a brand new 22year old fob so I took the innards out of it and put them in the old cover and it’s back together and working as good as new again.

I also cleaned up the old chip on the broken remote though and it lights up etc but still won’t play ball and open the doors up so I’m not sure I can get a new old stock one to replace it with.

Is that still not finished? 

I thought you'd fixed it and sold it a year or two back.

Nah, never got round to selling the bloody thing. It's languished in my garage under a huge pile of crap since my son was born.

I rolled it onto it's side about 3 months ago and finally started working on it last week, yer knaw just before winter. Friggin' tool that I am.

I was working weekends all summer or doing non car stuff in my limited non work weekends so nowt got done. Still busy with work now but for my own sanity I need to get this into a condition where I can drive it or punt the bleedin' thing on.