The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Bought a whizzo "Pure" DAB radio adaptor thingy for The Aero the other day, which I installed today. Everything went swimmingly and it works fantastically, allowing me to listen to (in theory) Planet Rock, BBC 6 Music, Jazz FM and Magic Soul on the move.

The biggest challenge was finding a way to route the aerial cable so that it didn't look untidy or pose a hazard to me or any future passengers, but a bit of tucking and trim removal saw everything right :)

I'm so impressed with the unit that I might get another one for The Volvo in due course ^^

Have you tried it on the move? I've not had a lot of luck with any DAB car radio - both factory integrated and aftermarket. Driving along caused it to drop out frequently, even on major motorways.

My Nextbase unit is pretty good now I've discovered what was causing it to be shit. My cheapo 12v twin-charger. If I use my Ring twin-charger, it's fine. Still rubbish in my village, but that goes for anything DAB, including our house radio (which we haven't used for seven years). Struggled a bit down in deepest Devon and Cornwall, but praise the lord for BBC 6 Music.

Volvo is going to be immobile for a while it seems - the wheels are going to be powdercoated at a local place, the same one that did the wheels on my* old A4. Probably going to go 2 at a time as I’ll need the Bini to transport them. They have a tyre fitting machine too which makes it easy.

Doesn’t matter though as I have quite the to-do list:

-adjust handbrake so it actually does something

-coolant leak

-diff leak

-oil/ATF changes?

-spark plugs?

-ARB link bushes

-brake caliper refurbishment (failed seals/dragging caliper - someone didn’t use a proper winding tool on the piston in the past)

-replace heater control panel light bulb

-replace rotten headlining with one that’s a better colour than beige; paint/dye/replace beige trim to match

-replace sunroof weatherstrip as damp and rotten/brittle (yes I know it’s not a seal, but it looks bloody awful)

-make sunroof work

-rust treat sunroof aperture (sunroof needs to be retracted/removed for access)

-rejoin wiring to rear driver’s door; central locking and speaker inoperative

-find trim insert for same door as it’s missing

-consider new numberplates, rear especially is looking tired as they’re from about 1990

Quite the list, but not as much as it seems as it’s a lot of small easy jobs - all the headlining/sunroof work will be done at once too which is a big thing. I’ve no idea why Volvo made a car with black interior plastics right up to the roof, and grey/green seats, then made the headlining beige? It just doesn’t make sense. I’m probably going to replace it in a more logical grey, and replace/paint the few beige trim pieces to match. As the car has a manual sunroof I’m fairly sure I’m going to have to paint the crank shroud as I’m not sure grey ones even exist - if so I’ll do the interior light and sun visor mounts to match as it’ll just be neater that way. That is if I can’t find pre-existing grey sunvisors from a newer car to fit, perhaps.

Just taken The Aero out to test the DAB adaptor's abilities when the car is driven. The reception is excellent, no doubt due to my area having decent digital radio coverage and the windscreen mounted aerial being pretty substantial and correctly fitted/earthed  :)

post-4796-0-53741500-1517421332_thumb.jpg

Also, much happiness comes from having an unpixelated SID unit ^^

Just taken The Aero out to test the DAB adaptor's abilities when the car is driven. The reception is excellent, no doubt due to my area having decent digital radio coverage and the windscreen mounted aerial being pretty substantial and correctly fitted/earthed  :)

attachicon.gifDU4ydwhW4AAO6RV.jpg

Also, much happiness comes from having an unpixelated SID unit ^^

I keep considering aftermarket DAB as normal radio is all shite. Good to hear of some that work.

I have absolute classic rock at home, except for weekend mornings when that utterly unfunny moron frank skinner (oh one for that thread..) ruins it, so switch to planet rock.

Only thing I can listen to in the car that doesn't make me want to punch the idiots trying to drive around me is classic fm. Oddly though, it alternates between that & Iron Madien CDs...

I put a pure 260 radio in the merc. A couple of years ago and it’s brilliant. Never drops out. But I did research the aerials, and bought the best rated one.

It also has Bluetooth and phone connectivity. For £80 it’s been marvellous.

Www.dabonwheels.co.uk.

Last year I bought a pure highway, which converts your existing unit to a dab. It’s in the 2cv and works faultlessly too. It came with a screen stick on aerial, which rather annoyingly works better than the external one I bought.

Ernie Warrender of UKIP (yes, someone still works there) is not happy about the 40 year MOT exemption.

He has a point - soon the roads will be full of structurally unsound Morris Minors travelling around at 145mph, like a 1950's Fritz Lang film or something from the back of Terry Gilliams imagination

He states 1million classics. Seems a bit high to me, certainly aren't a million cars over 40 years old on the roads (unless he spends his days watching Heartbeat and has got a bit confused?

post-3538-0-80925100-1517430710_thumb.png

Hardly immaculate if it’s structurally rusty is it. Where on earth does he get this £200million lost from? The last survey seemed to show the combined historic vehicle movement was worth £3 to 4 billion to the uk economy. Does he think that just because some cars no longer need and mot that they no longer need servicing? Perhaps he does, he’s a member of UKIP where the rats are leaving faster than ever. Idiot leader what’s his name with the dim racist girlfriend was on th radio5 at lunchtime. Did nothing to dispel the image that he’s more than a little dim and sex obsessed.

Ernie Warrender of UKIP (yes, someone still works there) is not happy about the 40 year MOT exemption.

He has a point - soon the roads will be full of structurally unsound Morris Minors travelling around at 145mph, like a 1950's Fritz Lang film or something from the back of Terry Gilliams imagination

Wonder where he got the £200million figure from? At an average of £50 for an MOT test, that would suggest there are 4 million cars over 40 years old on the road.

Otherwise he appears to be plucking a figure out of the air. If there are 100000 cars over 40 years old, he is assuming each one will need £2k a year spent on it by a garage.

You do realise that the 40 year exemption means E-Types and Ferrari Daytonas are now MOT exempt? Not that I wish to agree with UKIP, and you rightly point out the numbers are pure guesswork.

Seem to recall Classic Car Weekly did a story where parts suppliers were reporting a huge decrease in steering and brake parts being sold for pre-1960 motors. I'm pretty worried about safety, even though human error is still going to be the main source of crashes. Last thing we want is old cars being seen as dangerous and unsafe.

"1 million classics that need a couple of hundred quid spent at MOT time"

Yup, don't worry about the broken springs, electronic faults, airbag issues, emissions failures and failed sensors on modern cars, that's not nearly enough to keep our British lads busy.

Wonder how many regular garages are honestly letting people go because "once old Reg doesn't have to bring his Spitfire in once a year, our income is going to fall like a stone. Sorry lads, I have to let you all go"?

You do realise that the 40 year exemption means E-Types and Ferrari Daytonas are now MOT exempt? Not that I wish to agree with UKIP, and you rightly point out the numbers are pure guesswork.

Seem to recall Classic Car Weekly did a story where parts suppliers were reporting a huge decrease in steering and brake parts being sold for pre-1960 motors. I'm pretty worried about safety, even though human error is still going to be the main source of crashes. Last thing we want is old cars being seen as dangerous and unsafe.

Totally agree - but wouldn't you wager that the massive majority of classic car enthusiasts do their utmost to keep them tip top? Not many folk will be shelling out for a Mk1 Cortina because it no longer needs an MOT, will they?

I’m currently looking for a 1950s car. Just because it’s mot exempt doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be getting it checked and serviced every year. I’d imagine ( or like to) that owners of classics would like to keep them roadworthy and so spend time and money getting them checked and sorted each year. Either themselves or at a garage.

The bigger danger is people with modern cars with no licence, no insurance and over the drug drive limit.

Surrey road cops twitter feed is full of them-they’ve not pulled over a classic yet.

Totally agree - but wouldn't you wager that the massive majority of classic car enthusiasts do their utmost to keep them tip top? Not many folk will be shelling out for a Mk1 Cortina because it no longer needs an MOT, will they?

No, I would not! I am a classic owner, and have I always had cars pass an MOT? I have not. Have I left jobs until just before the MOT because I know it needs doing before the test? Yes, I have. This idea that everyone who owns a classic car is familiar with every nut of their car is utter farce.

No, I would not! I am a classic owner, and have I always had cars pass an MOT? I have not. Have I left jobs until just before the MOT because I know it needs doing before the test? Yes, I have. This idea that everyone who owns a classic car is familiar with every nut of their car is utter farce.

OK, I accept that. My point was classic car owners generally tend to be marque enthusiasts who look after their vehicles as a weekend toy. I appreciate I am making quite a generalisation here but I suspect there are more restored Mk2 Jags in heated garages than unrestored in daily use in supermarket or office car parks.

Whilst the MOT may not apply, owners will undoubtedly have to ensure their vehicles are roadworthy and safe. Doubtlessly the Police will be taking a keen interest in older cars "just in case"

Whilst the MOT may not apply, owners will undoubtedly have to ensure their vehicles are roadworthy and safe. Doubtlessly the Police will be taking a keen interest in older cars "just in case"

Of course they will. Classic owners tend to have more declared income so easy to levy fines on. Plus unlike criminal types that the police routinely avoid, normally law abiding car owners don't tend to be scary & violent.