The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The Rover of Doom has just failed its MOT, which is a bit of a pain.  Only failed on brake imbalance though (probably as a result of not using it for a while), which isn't bad for a nearly-20-year-old Rover.  I'm going to do some "enthusiastic" driving in it over the weekend to see if that helps any.

Front pads?

If discs and pads seem ok and caliper is not binding, I have been known to remove a thin bit of pad, say 1/4 of the total pad size from both pads on the better braking side.

Test by driving, braking reasonably hard whilst lightly holding the wheel.

Adjust the size of the pad until it pulls up dead straight. Take for retest .

If you only file a small amount off the pads they will soon level up again.

Front pads?

If discs and pads seem ok and caliper is not binding, I have been known to remove a thin bit of pad, say 1/4 of the total pad size from both pads on the better braking side.

Are you for fucking real ?

I despair sometimes

Front pads?

I hope you don't live anywhere near me!

So, it has snowed at home. Cleverly, I left the Honda, with its winter tyres, at home and set off before the snow landed in the Lexus, despite the fact that the aux belt tensioner sounds HORRIBLE. I'm hoping it has all cleared before I'm back tomorrow, and that the tensioner doesn't seize.

Also, the Lexus has again managed 30mpg. Happy with that!

First time I've ever been slagged off on here.

Fair enough, stupid post on my behalf.

I liked how the idea would work though, just shave half the pad to reduce the braking surface.

And both people involved are still trading under different names.

Indeed. And 2cvgb seem very reluctant to call them on it. I’ve sat in several committee meetings when they won’t even do anything about non payment of advertising invoices in the magazine. Friends of friends, or family members etc.

Well today has been spectacularly rubbish from a fleet point of view.  The Rover of Doom failed its MOT, the other Rover has become a twat to start since the weather turned cold, the Movano lunched its fanbelt, the Golf had its plates nicked and I failed to fix the horn on the Berlingo.  Plus the tuning box I bought off eBay for the Stilo doesn't work - when plugged in the car flashes up an engine fault and idles at 1,500rpm, and the accelerator pedal doesn't do anything, which I assume means it's getting no fuel pressure signal at all and therefore the box is duff..

I did at least manage to get the steering column bolt undone on the Stilo, having invested in a set of Torx sockets off eBay, so if it's warm enough tomorrow that I can feel my fingers I'll have another go at replacing the blower motor.  I also got the intercooler outlet pipe off on the Movano and it's absolutely full of oil (not just gunk, the concertina bits have liquid oil sitting in them), which confirms that the turbo was the guilty party when it ran away the other week.  Oh, and I've also cleaned up lots of blackbird shit.

lexus news......

mashed wing, bumper and lights all off and binned, 

new* wing and bumper on. paint is an EXACT match for the original paint on our car.

new headlamps on but they are ever so slightly skew-whiff and further fettling is required,

so, replacement bonnet still to fit (am not looking forward to trying to feed the washer pipes and heating wired though either of the bonnets), and headlamps really need pulling back off as we have not quiet got the front end exactly as it should be...... :-(