The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It must be me. 

Everyone I encounter at the moment I sit there and think: "Why? How the fuck have you come to THAT conclusion? Why are you saying these things? You don't making any fucking sense." 

Yesterday was particularly delightful, getting pulled by Cambs plod after one of its unmarked cars (not on blues) tore across a roundabout I had right of way on so hard I had to make an emergency stop. 
I signalled my displeasure, they did a 180 round the same roundabout as me and hammered after me (now on blues). 

"There was no need to flip us the bird and beep your horn, that's not an acceptable way to behave."

'Neither's cutting across me on a roundabout so hard I had to make an emergency stop.'

"You were going too fast around the roundabout."

'I still had right of way. You cut me up so badly I had to make an emergency stop. You weren't on blues else I'd have seen.'

SILENCE

"Yes, it's a terrible roundabout that, isn't it?"

'It is, I've had a terrible morning.'

"Alright otherwise?"

'Yeah, just a terrible morning.'

"This car yours?"

'Aye [gives details].'

"No worries, on your way."

Could have been worse I suppose. 

Can I have a 5 minute rant that's not about cars ?

Families, Old people and Families. Who'd have them.

I started typing about Mother in Law, Father in Law and there health issues, and the amount of support Mrs New POD and Mrs MikeR (sisters) have provided to them over the last 2 weeks, and how their oldest child (I shall call him Dick) has managed to undermine all the good work and make it all twice as stressful for them.

So much so that my wife has now had to take to bed with chronic fatigue, because sorting out her mother's issues has basically taken everything she's got and more (and Mrs MikeR looked like shit when I last saw her too).

On or other has stayed the night every night for nearly 2 weeks, and when MikeR is on Nights, that means that MRs New POD, has been staying over looking after his youngest (I have stayed the night twice at MikeR's house, whilst he was on nights and his wife was at her mother's)

Unfortunately money is not a bottomless pit and MikeR has to work nights and I have a job some 110 miles away so it's not possible to be there every night, to support.   

Not a long term problem because Dick would happily put them in a home if it meant he didn't have to do anything. Like answer the phone or reply to texts.

And NOW (as a last straw) they've cancelled a trip to seeing the solicitor about organising lasting power of attorney.FFS if you want someone to make sure you are looked after in your own home you'll need to actually give them permission to organise it and pay for it from the savings you've put aside for a rainy day. And you need to do it whilst you still have mental capacity. Why have they cancelled this ? Because it gives the people named the ability to handle your financial affairs (in your best interest) should this be needed (and it will one day be needed).

The final icing on the cake. Dick, has told Mrs New POD that him and his wife have sorted it out for themselves, and she (the youngest) needs to make sure they do it. So wait a minute, whilst you were doing that (and very sensible too), you never told your parents and never thought to persuade them to do it at the same time. I really want to punch him.

Rant over, no details mentioned of the mother in laws health issues, just why the fuck are some people so fucking selfish ? Probably tired after the walk home from Church

I've had much of this in the past. What it does do is make you see how things need to be for the best, and sort your own affairs so that hopefully when it is your turn to be very old, things will pass smoothly and without argument.

To this end I set up a property trust fund, made a will, set up Lasting Power of Attorney and told those involved what to expect and how to handle it.

All this and more should be done as early as possible in the hope it works out as you planned, but there are no guarantees that it will.

All you can do is advise. People don't want to die, many don't want to talk about it.

Help them where you can, but not to the extent of making yourself ill.

Try to carry on your own life and fit them in around it, not the other way round.

It is very often the case that property and cash finishes up in the wrong hands.

Try not to let it get you down.

I still had one Trojan.... to disable it I have had to update Windows 10... aaargh!

I now have a different browser and have ad to remember log in details. My brain now hurts with the strain.

Oh yes, I went to visit the BGD earlier and on the way home, pulled in to let a lovely red Spirit through, I was waving madly and couldn't understand why he ignored me, I was in the KIA! :)

Did an overnighter in France on Sunday. I just fancied a trip away from the daily grind and stayed in Arras Sunday evening, which is a lovely town 60 odd miles from Calais, and visited a few war memorials and generally just drove around the countryside randomly.

The Canadian Memorial on Vimy ridge is stunning and worth a visit.

post-5013-0-53915000-1511308740_thumb.jpeg

That was on Sunday when the weather was bright, but Monday was wet and cold for my drive through the Somme department. The heater in the 626 is molten so no trouble there, but seeing all the cemeteries on such a cold grim day made me feel a right fanny as you just can't comprehend what the WW1 soldiers went through.

post-5013-0-44195900-1511308887_thumb.jpeg

Aire de la Baie de Somme services on the A16 are quite pleasant. I took the giant frog on the right to be a tongue in cheek reference...

post-5013-0-30232800-1511309070_thumb.jpeg

The 626 performed well and was great fun to chuck about on some twisty fast rural roads. The engine has a nice gruff note which is partly down to a slight blow from the manifold, and with the light clutch and light but direct steering it's a pleasure to drive around town too.

My bodged plastic rear window took a battering in strong cross winds whilst waiting for the ferry at Calais, but it survived thankfully. Plus the extra 12 quid for the premium lounge was worth it as I virtually had the place to myself! Tempting though it was, I only had a sip of the free bubbly...

post-5013-0-93191100-1511309662_thumb.jpeg

^^^^ Buyer removes?

Well, I had the vague notion that I would like a lock up, but the only ones that came up for sale were;

a. Expensive

b. Gone before I could broach the subject with Mrs. h.

Anyway, fast forward to this morning and I'm at work and Mrs h sends me a link to an estate agents web site:

Garage for sale, 5 minutes from our place. Not cheap, but not expensive either. 

I went for a nosey after work and decided that I'd chuck in an offer a couple of grand lower than the asking.

I didn't really expect to get it, but within half an hour the agent came back with a yes.

All I have to do now is find the money.

post-4930-0-97856200-1511370069_thumb.jpg

It's the one on the left.

post-4930-0-01009600-1511370084_thumb.jpg

Well, I had the vague notion that I would like a lock up, but the only ones that came up for sale were;

a. Expensive

b. Gone before I could broach the subject with Mrs. h.

Anyway, fast forward to this morning and I'm at work and Mrs h sends me a link to an estate agents web site:

Garage for sale, 5 minutes from our place. Not cheap, but not expensive either.

I went for a nosey after work and decided that I'd chuck in an offer a couple of grand lower than the asking.

I didn't really expect to get it, but within half an hour the agent came back with a yes.

All I have to do now is find the money.

$118.jpg

It's the one on the left.

$117.jpg

Just buy it and worry about where the money is coming from later.

What's the rental income on it likely to be and how many beds can you fit ;)

Not sure about the early, Hitler-spec models, but 1960s-on Beetles also have a pressure switch. Said switch is rather substantial, though, and bolts to the end of the (equally substantial) ATE master cylinder.

The earliest Beetles were mechanical brakes, Dad had a '49 for a few years (after all the mk1 Zephyrs dissolved) and once showed little me how he could stop just as quick with the handbrake as footbrake - because the handbrake worked on all four wheels.

My '69 Beetle failed an mot once when a brake switch burst during the test. Dual circuit brakes by then though so I drove home on rear brakes only.