The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That 525e looks well rough for that money.

The 525e spec is an interesting one: aimed at economy, a low power/ high torque, 2.7ish version of the small six engine, very high gearing. I think in road tests it about sat half way between the Diesel and the normal 525 for fuel consumption.

The prices are all over the shop for E28's, the boot smelt a bit fusty like it had been damp and the tools in the tool kit were rusty, the spare was a 16" BBS off a E34 i think too. It had lots going for it and sadly lots against it too. There was a hole in the panel under the window on the rear door too whilst i remember.

It's silly, I'm a really good buyer normally and would walk away from something like this but it really got me under my skin, just something about the way it looked and drove, it even smelt of old leather, silly stuff like the original radio and working electric aerial, heated seats and all the dealer stickers and plates all appealed to me but then the sills and rear valance bothered me at that kind of money and the passenger door really bothered me.

Gah!

They rot like bastards. The thing that killed my 535i was rot through the rear subframe mounting points . You can't really see it but it's almost fatal unless you can get a repair section .

They are great cars though . I had my first one in he mid 90s and after loads of rattly fords the build quality blew my mind.

There are now roadworks between my work and my flat where there weren't on my drive in. Being that I only know ONE route between my flat and my work this meant I got so utterly lost I had to pay £2 to drive in and out of Glasgow airport in a state of utter confusion before eventually getting myself to the correct side of the Clyde, getting a McDonalds at 1am and finally arriving home half an hour later...

I thought I'd find somewhere to stop at the airport to work out a route home, navigating into the airport I picked a destination which happened to be Car Park 2 as I thought Car Park 1 would be closer to the terminal, because numbers. It's not 'till you get to the barriers they point out the charges and there was no way back other than reversing back through the one-way system.

My prior experience of driving around an airport was Aberdeen which is a wee bit smaller...

Beyond the Clyde Tunnel junction I have no idea what goes where further down the road, the only place I drive to that isn't in the West End is work! I can't stand city/motorway driving so I'm tragically unfamiliar with the area...

Ah I see that aiport operators are allowed and encouraged to operate such rackets.

The M8 on the other hand is a piece of piss and so is the city centre which is mainly a grid with alternating one-way streets. Like most city centres though its been fucked-over against the motor car.

Get a map and do some walking and work out where everything is city centre / west end.

You're joking right? Glasgow roads and particular the city centre is a rabbit warren of conflicting one way systems and confusing over passes. I've been up here 15 years and work in Glasgow but still can't safely navigate into the centre without the potential of ending up in totally the wrong place or lost.

There are often routes to places you can't follow back. This means if you go somewhere the route too and from there is totally different. Also there's no road signs so unless youre local or have sat nav you're going to end up lost or in Stirling .

It's the worst place I've ever driven!

cpt 70s it is theoriticly possible to get to the west end with out going through the Clyde tunnel but its very very easy to end up in totally the wrong place .

Glasgow, for Geordies...

I used to be in the city doing EPOS repairs in banks and shops or pubs...

I loved dropping off the 'new' mway link... down a thousand rats arseholes & popping out in the city, over the river by the Station.

I had a good grip on meter parking 'lucky slots' & Multis convenient for different areas of shops.

I agree 'one way'... However just go round [& around] again -you will get there .. eventually ;)

TS

You're joking right?

Only about the walking.

I stand by it being a piece of piss to get around. There are far, far harder places.

I haven't lived near/worked there for 20 years, but still go there and I can still get across, through and around the city centre and surrounding areas without thinking too hard.

The only time it doesn't make geographic sense is Taggart because telly.

That E28 is about £2k overpriced at that, I know they're on the up but it needs a big pile of welding, probably needs about £2k spending to be worth about what the seller is currently asking.

Leave it, they're not that rare and I would have thought £3k or so would get you a much better example.

That E28 is about £2k overpriced at that, I know they're on the up but it needs a big pile of welding, probably needs about £2k spending to be worth about what the seller is currently asking.

Leave it, they're not that rare and I would have thought £3k or so would get you a much better example.

I agree with what your saying but it's really playing on my mind today, i keep trying to justify in my head what it will cost to sort, i don't want a show car which i can't use but its got to be presentable, the sills will need patching but a skim of filler on top and stone chip will tidy them, rear valance will probably need a couple of patches too but again i can paint that..

The hole in the door top is a pain but I'd probably just fiberglass it and just puff it in. Passenger door bottom would clean up, bead of mastic and touch up as would the bit around the rear light inside the boot. But the arch would have to be done properly, if i done it at all. The mileage is high but it's got a stack of history and it does feel really well cared for and drive remarkably well apart from a dry suspension top mount bearing.

I think it's the potential that i can see in it and that rare and extremely comfortable buffalo interior as well as the originally which is tempting me. It's just that £2800 price, it just feels a bit too much.

I thought I'd find somewhere to stop at the airport to work out a route home, navigating into the airport I picked a destination which happened to be Car Park 2 as I thought Car Park 1 would be closer to the terminal, because numbers. It's not 'till you get to the barriers they point out the charges and there was no way back other than reversing back through the one-way system.

My prior experience of driving around an airport was Aberdeen which is a wee bit smaller...

Beyond the Clyde Tunnel junction I have no idea what goes where further down the road, the only place I drive to that isn't in the West End is work! I can't stand city/motorway driving so I'm tragically unfamiliar with the area...

£2 drop off at Aberdeen airport too if you get lost!

I agree with what your saying but it's really playing on my mind today, i keep trying to justify in my head what it will cost to sort, i don't want a show car which i can't use but its got to be presentable, the sills will need patching but a skim of filler on top and stone chip will tidy them, rear valance will probably need a couple of patches too but again i can paint that..

The hole in the door top is a pain but I'd probably just fiberglass it and just puff it in. Passenger door bottom would clean up, bead of mastic and touch up as would the bit around the rear light inside the boot. But the arch would have to be done properly, if i done it at all. The mileage is high but it's got a stack of history and it does feel really well cared for and drive remarkably well apart from a dry suspension top mount bearing.

I think it's the potential that i can see in it and that rare and extremely comfortable buffalo interior as well as the originally which is tempting me. It's just that £2800 price, it just feels a bit too much.

Personally i would avoid it unless your happy to sink another £1000-1500+ into it getting it back to a condition which you'll be happy with.

Sounds a bit like my deliberations with that MGB GT. ;)

Its local, you know the issues, its an easy transaction to make and your want level is huge - even though you'd never go near it if it was on eBay/Gumtree/etc. Thus one half of the brain is trying to find every way of justifying something to get it, that the other half is trying to say avoid. That side sounds like its currently winning. :P

I know the feeling all too well!

You're joking right? Glasgow roads and particular the city centre is a rabbit warren of conflicting one way systems and confusing over passes. I've been up here 15 years and work in Glasgow but still can't safely navigate into the centre without the potential of ending up in totally the wrong place or lost.

There are often routes to places you can't follow back. This means if you go somewhere the route too and from there is totally different. Also there's no road signs so unless youre local or have sat nav you're going to end up lost or in Stirling .

It's the worst place I've ever driven!

cpt 70s it is theoriticly possible to get to the west end with out going through the Clyde tunnel but its very very easy to end up in totally the wrong place .

You should try Reading. fucking nightmare

I actually find Reading pretty easy once realising that all the major roads either lead into or out of the centre. I drove around a fair bit when I was younger, not long after passing my test.

I've lived in Bristol for over 12 years though and I'm still learning parts and cut-thrus all the time. Don't get me started on rush-hour traffic!

That's another piece of piss, especially on a motorcycle for Reading and Bristol were two early adopters of letting them into the bus lanes.

I used to live in Wycombe. Roundabouts on a roundabout (Ring junctions) are dead easy too. Denham Roundabout, no problem. The Plough Roundabout, Hemel, easy. Greenstead Roundabout, Colchester, don't even break a sweat. Magic Roundabout, Swindon, what's the fuss?

Milton Keynes is visually hard work as it all looks the same, but once you've got all your horizontals and verticals worked out, it too is a piece of piss.

Edinburgh is a pain in the hole, not because it is difficult navigate as such (piece of piss on foot), it's just the council are a bunch of anti-car arses and have done everything to make life difficult for the motorist, so routes tend to be rather circuitous.

Just back from the garage with a new mot ( no advisories of course).

It was sitting next to a very tidy J reg BX TZD turbo in Olympic blue! Ed Davidge ( him of the SM engined decap DS) has just bought it from them for a full restoration.

post-8687-0-57618600-1499189023_thumb.jpg

Today I painted my hallway. Big hallway. Anyway I used matt emulsion and painted over the silk emulsion allready on walls. Paint has now all cracked like an alligator skin. Quick Google and you shouldn't paint over silk with Matt paint. Don't know wether to try kitchen and bathroom paint ,a bit thicker or start wallpapering. Pain in the arse.