The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Unbelievable.

I think the new system is writing your telephone number/address on a piece of paper - photographing it - and then uploading that to the 'gallery'.

Wastes a photo though which is annoying.

I had the same hoohar when I bought the Rover 75 on eBay.

I bought and paid for it whilst on holiday in Malaysia. That part was easy. Trying to arrange the collection for when I got home was a PITA as telephone numbers and addresses didn't work on the messages bit. Finally managed to get my email address to the seller by spelling it out phonetically and arranged the collection via email.

Same thing happened to me recently.  All I did was give my address in a PM for a collection only listing.  How else is the bloke supposed to find where I live?  It was for 20 quids worth of tyres, which he didn't buy in the end anyway.

I was surprised that eBay extend the ban to buying- not letting me buy for 7 days will hurt them more than it hurts me. I tried to leave but they don't let you go for 30 days, even if you've paid up your fees. I hope they send me one of their little surveys to fill in soon.

There's a huge opportunity for a not for profit eBay challenger with lower fees, I hope someone emerges to take on their monopoly. The irony is the whole original concept of eBay was a 'perfect market' with equal power between buyers and sellers. They've lost the plot entirely.

Fuck a pig backwards, this eBay thing has just gone up a gear. I bid for a Vauxhall engine 2 weeks ago and after messaging got the sellers number so I could have a chat and ascertain all was well. It was, so I put in a bid and won.
I bunged him a deposit by PayPal and said I'd be up with the balance in cash to collect this coming Saturday. (Key'll be under the flower pot if you're nipping round while I'm out)
After letting through my email to arrange the day, the wankers blocked a further message about location so I spoke to him just now and he says he's got the 7 day ban too. The stupidity of it all is bewildering.

Update:

Ebay emailed late today to tell me why they didnt pass on my message:

"We just wanted to let you know that we weren't able to send your recent note to ********** for the following reasons:

Your account is restricted because you’ve repeatedly completed transactions outside of eBay."

Earlier they had said:

"We reviewed your eBay account and determined that you haven't followed our offers to buy or sell outside of eBay policy. Offers to buy or sell outside eBay, including providing contact information within a member-to-member message or displaying contact information in a listing, aren’t allowed without the permission of eBay or except as required by law."

"You provided or requested contact information prior to checkout or arranged to take the transaction off eBay. Violating Text: Hi ***, phone no. is ***********, am here until 6 tonight then tomorrow."

I wonder whats going on, have they escalated the complaint because they realise its not exactly clever to impede someone trying to complete a purchase? These transactions they say I've repeatedly completed outside of ebay, what possible evidence can they have for that?

IMG_5253_zpsmg3dazqd.jpg

In other news, the Fiesta Zetec-S has now been sold to a Ford enthusiast living near Weston Super Mare. Got what I wanted for it and he seems happy enough. A nice pleasant transaction, for once. The buyer emailed me the next day to say that he is planning to visit France, Belgium and Germany next week and may take the little Fiesta.

Also...

IMG_5258_zpsbyncyonu.jpg

the Astra is now off to the garage to have a general check over, and if there are no nasty horrors then turbo replacement will commence straight after, followed by an M.o.T. I've already swapped the insurance over (£4 extra a month!) - now it's a waiting game.

I'm currently borrowing SWMBO's car to get to work, however she will need it back at the weekend. So I have no transport to get backwards and forwards to work. Massive hairy balls.

I've just spent 4 hours putting this together

attachicon.gifIMG_20170621_214909.jpg

It had better work tomorrow. Orl modern dysons r shit

attachicon.gifIMG_20170622_005253.jpg

I looked at this photo on my phone and decided it was all the cam chain and balance chain components from a Z22SE Vauxhall Engine (16V twin cam 2.2 pez fitted to Ashtray MkIV, Vectra 2 and Zafira and some Saabs and 'merican cars)

On Tuesday my Stellar had its MOT and failed.  Front discs had been on advisories for a few years and were no longer deemed fit for purpose despite the fact that the front brakes were fine.  I agreed with the verdict, having inspected them several times recently, and had in anticipation found some genuine Hyundai discs going cheap at a Hyundai dealer in High Wycombe (List price £125ish, mine for £30: Result!).  I drove over there to collect them in my 205 a couple of days ago.  A non working cooling fan, 30degC and heavy traffic meant much use of the heater and blower was required to keep the coolant temperature out of the red.  It survived the trip.  New pads for the Stellar were obtained from a local factors after a bit of a struggle with their computer stock referencing system.  Initially, the chap I phoned said they would have to be on next day order.  Their price was a bit high so I said I would phone back if nothing better turned up locally.  It didn't.  I phoned back - different bloke - 'yes, £28, we have them in stock.'  Somewhat surprised, I repeated the info from my earlier call.  He went off to stores, checked, confirmed in stock.  I drove in.  Chap at the counter took my cash and said the pads should be in tomorrow.  I told him that one of his colleagues had informed me that they were in stock.  Computer said NO.  After 10 minutes of wrangling, the IN STOCK colleague overheard our conversation, got the pads, dumped them in front of his colleague and my happiness was restored.  No apology ensued - the chap continued to dig through his computer to confirm that the pads next to him did not exist. I grabbed them and left.  

Back to the MOT failure:  Rear brakes imbalanced and a slight fluid leak from the offside drum.  I had replaced the offside rear cylinder with a new one a few days ago and cleaned the mess left from the removed leaking cylinder.  I dried and wire brushed the brake linings and a test drive showed a good handbrake, good foot brake and no pulling to one side.  I could not get new brake shoes in time for the MOT so risked a failure (and got it!).  

New brake  shoes were obtained from an eBay seller in Kettering.  I arranged to collect them in the 205.  Remembering the very hot journey to Wycombe the day before, I thought it was wise to check the 205's coolant level and plumbing.  Level was fine, but the rad top hose was ballooning and felt very soft.  The top hose has two permanently attached smaller bore hoses from the auto-transmission cooling which join it in a plastic centre section, making it model specific and harder to find replacements cheaply or quickly.  Fortunately, last year when the old hose failed I kept it.  Using good bits of rubber from other old hoses and a length of steel tube from a rotary washing line upright, a repair was fashioned and the top hose duly replaced.  It only took an hour.  I was quite pleased with myself and the Stellar's brake shoes were collected.

Today, the MOT garage was working to fix the Stellar.  The offside front caliper piston would not retract to accept the new pads.  A new or refurbished caliper is required.  They've ordered one for a reasonable price.  The saga continues.  If the caliper is the correct type, there's a chance I may have the Stellar back by Saturday or Monday.  I had expected some wallet draining. No doubt it will exceed my expectations.    

In G Wiz news, there's a local "ish" one on Gumtree for £500.

It's only done 7k, but it's been stood for 6 years and needs (at least) a windscreen and some new batteries.

Batteries are £1000 a set but I have some part worns that "might fit" that I've got from work.

A windscreen from a breaker might be £100, or I might be fucked and have to get one custom made, it's flat glass luckily.

Plus whatever else needs replacing on a car stood for 7 years - the tyres are bound to be the originals etc etc.

I was going to make him a fairly derisory offer of about £200 as it'll cost me about £75 to get delivered, but if a "good one" with newish batteries and a fresh MOT sells on ebay for £600 I reckon it's too far gone.

If it hadn't been stood for so long and the screen wasn't broken I might consider it, but even without paying a penny for batteries I can't make the numbers add up at all.

I'm still tempted, it might be alright for my Nan to run about in.