The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, Yoss said:

That's interesting as mine has thing where the rear fog light warning light comes on slightly when you select reverse. You can only see it at night and it doesn't seem to be affecting the lights themselves, they still come on separately as required.

This is only on the green car which is a mk2 like yours. The mk1 has a completely different set up with eight plungers in the tailgate and brass contacts on the body. Four on each side as can be seen here.

20170307_164538.jpg.d2e4546ca138d579f2932c6b5edf1241.jpg

So there is no physical connection between the electrics in the tailgate and the rest of the car. On the face of it this seems like lots of extra complication and a recipe for problems but, so far at least, they have been faultless. The only problem I've had in that area is that occasionally the reverse light bulbs have vibrated themselves out of their holders but that's nothing to do with above system.

It was the same symptoms on mine, although the heated rear window light came on too but only when reverse was selected.  When I was playing around with it last year I did notice the reverse lights didn't come on with the tailgate open but started to flicker as you closed the tailgate and were fully on when it was about 3/4 closed

2 hours ago, stuboy said:

Anyone used vcds/vag thingy.. I got disk and cable off ebay and don't communicate with the galaxy.. and I'm getting fed up..

20240317_071122.jpg

20240317_071307.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_073619_Chrome.jpg

As @Nyphur says. Check to see which serial port it's using in Device Manager. Depending on the adapter, you might need to select USB in the config too. 

Is the adapter plugged into the car too when doing this? They get their power from the OBD port and won't switch on fully unless plugged in. 

^^ My heated rear window was never reconnected when the previous owner fitted a new tailgate so I've not had that issue. It would probably be fairly easy to reinstate but I've never bothered. The amount of condensation in there makes them next to useless anyway (it still works in the blue car so I can confirm this). It's far more effective to open the windows. 

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

It was the same symptoms on mine, although the heated rear window light came on too but only when reverse was selected.  When I was playing around with it last year I did notice the reverse lights didn't come on with the tailgate open but started to flicker as you closed the tailgate and were fully on when it was about 3/4 closed

Used to have this with Fiestas.. try tapping the tailgate hinge pins back and forth slightly if that's the hinge they have

I recently bought an old Casio watch off eBay, one that I've always hankered after but when it arrived it didn't have the crisp clean dial of the one on the listing but a rather cloudy one instead.

IMG20240313122821.jpg.881308cc9b6a7cafc2f256fb11c62e21.jpg

It's like over the years a dusting of the luminous coating has transferred to the back of the crystal. So today after watching a YouTube clip of an American chap sitting on his bed successfully pull a similar watch apart I had a bash at taking the mechanism out of mine and giving it a clean up.

IMG20240317124412.jpg.b5b5288ec260bda7e55a4255f2bcd5ca.jpg

IMG20240317130632.jpg.208b129a2cc75e1b44c81928bede9ea0.jpg

A bit of Tesco's finest glass cleaner and a soft cloth and it's come up like new again.

Saab back in service today after time off over the winter. Got down to Edinburgh no problem but a few issues appearing, oil leak now joined by power steering leak and a general baggy feel means a few new bushes are in its future. Still not bad for 220k and 32 years old though.

20240317_104333.jpg

Drill brushes are fab things! All you need is a shitty wet pick up only vac then, just add water externally, drill then suck it all dry. 

I want to take my seats out and give the carpets a really good going over this summer, but I have the fear of unplugging seat airbag connectors on a 22 year old French pos so haven't yet. Might just do around the seats... 

6 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Saab back in service today after time off over the winter. Got down to Edinburgh no problem but a few issues appearing, oil leak now joined by power steering leak and a general baggy feel means a few new bushes are in its future. Still not bad for 220k and 32 years old though.

20240317_104333.jpg

do ya huf te keep it oota sight in case yon local fella sees it :D

Earlier tonight I had to go and collect four youngsters who'd been enjoying St Patrick's Day drinks nearby. It seemed only right to use the Carina E, a natural for such taxi duties? Made a bit of a discovery on the way:

IMG_1039.JPG.ac8b0e3317b0f727274563404a2d9caf.JPG

I knew the HRW worked OK, with every element still doing its thing - not bad for an old estate car. As it was a bit damp I thought I'd give the other switch a try, which I believe is for a heated element or two in the front screen. I don't know whether it did anything in that regard, I think it's more intended for snow/frost, but I discovered that's how the heated door mirrors are operated. Everything else I've had with heated mirrors they just work off the HRW switch, and I'd just assumed they didn't work any more. Result!

Perhaps even better was that there was no vomiting, so I didn't have to apply penalty charges.....

Peer of the Realm in Driving Ban!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68599661

Caught speeding 7 times in one year!! 

Hang on...let's look at that a bit more closely...

1. 29mph in 20 Zone Embankment.

2. 28mph in 20 Zone Kensington Gardens.

3. A316 Twickenham 46mph in 40 Zone.

4. A316 Twickenham 46mpg in a 40 Zone.

5. A316 Twickenham 47mph in 40 Zone.

6. M25 intersection with M3 62mph in a 50 Zone.

7. M4 73mph in temporary 50 Zone.

My experience of driving in London...

1.& 2. The 20mph Zones are in the main not observed by drivers and if you do drive at 20mph, as I do, you often get an angry tooting gesticulating mob behind - and inevitably overtaken by a black Audi and a white van.

3.-5. This is the A316. Easy to lose track of your speed on here.

Screenshot_20240318_211016_GoogleEarth.jpg.74ffa8ae7ee7ac920e967c72675347fb.jpg

6. M25 intersection with M3 - Easy to lose track of your speed here.

Screenshot_20240318_211154_GoogleEarth.jpg.1a558c4c07177b6980a4412a9ce969f4.jpg

7. M4 73mph in temporary 50 Zone - easy to get 'pushed' by other traffic to a higher speed as the 50 limit is only sporadically observed.

And the moral of the tale - pay attention and observe the limits - but do not get bullied to go faster than the limit or shadow other fast moving traffic - none of these convictions were for particularly egregious flouting of the limit and several were just over 10%+.

Sometimes takes an iron resolve - particularly in the 'temporary' 50mph's - on the M20 through Kent - I stick at 50 and am passed by 80% of traffic coming back into London.

As an aside the BBC reports that "as District Judge Daniel Sternberg disqualified the Tory environmentalist from driving, he warned that drivers who speed "emit more harmful emissions" even in hybrid and electric cars."

Interesting legal point there - that the judge is taking in the whole scope of these limits in his consideration of the offence ie not just the danger aspect.

Of course the admonishment may have been directed with some irony at Zac Goldsmith as a prominent "environmentalist" driving an electric car.

But the jist of the judgment is that some limits are indeed there to protect the environment overall. 

Interesting point of law bought out there.