The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Last week my neighbour, the side who's a bellend, came round asking if i could repair the wing on his 200k R reg Audi A4 Estate while he was on holiday, I tried to make excuses why i couldn't but ended up agreeing as I'm a soft twat. :roll: He left me the keys and I said I'd make a start this morning.

Annoyingly the spare keys he's left me wouldn't start the car, i think it's immobilised so I've had to do it in his driveway, The front wing has a hole in the arch which I've ground out.

ilzpll.jpg

Rotten :? , he told me he wanted a cheap job done, He doesn't care how it looks as long as the holes gone as it kept cutting his leg when he walked past, I explained it will need welding or wing replacing as it will rot out again but he didn't care, so like a pro i cut the rust out, found a out of date tin of peaches in the cupboard and cut the tin up to replace the hole, a bit of mastic round the edge and a few pop rivets and it was fitted (i forgot to take a photo of my SKILLZ).

A bit of fibreglass and filler later i started to get somewhere.

2ywfg53.jpg

Seeing as there was no metal to start with I'm quite pleased, The angle the arch lip isn't easy to create as it was missing but it's mostly in shape now, I undersealed the inside of the wing over the tin i fitted and old panelwork and then sprayed a few coats of etch and grey primer and It's now looking like this.

11m6g4g.jpg

I think it should look alright after a flat down, As it's on a budget I've bought some VW blue paint as it £4.49 instead of £12.99 for the proper stuff, He told me he didn't care what colour it was.

^ One millionty pics required when it arrives.

Today was mostly spent playing with foglamps on Telly. The nearside one wasn't working y'see... Unfortunately it was rotten to buggery rather than just a bulb, but a visit from CMS206 of this parish (thanks mate!) saw a new set of genuine Halfrauds type Ringpiece ones fitted. Then unfitted. Then fitted again but not working. Then taken off again. Tomorrow they will be fitted AND working as the dodgy earth that caused all the fuss will be banished.

Hopefully.

Best put that popcorn on ice, Cav

Hello Scott,

I'm very sorry to say that I can't transport the car for you,I've just done the fuel cost caclulation and it'll cost me more in fuel that you'll be paying! I'm really sorry to let you down in this way but I've been let down on a job that would of taken me 1/2 way to your collection point and I can' work for nothing,please contact Shiply to find out how to relist the job

GREAT

Corr, what a flaming hopeless tw*t that car collection bloke is. He shouldn't quote if he can't do it for that price, tbh if he's from Shipley you should drop a complaint in against him.

Managed to work the 'real world' mpg figures out for the 306 yesterday, 44.65mpg. It will get better than that, I reckon in a run it should clear 50, but it's better than my other recent cars so can't complain. The Corsa will come close when it's back on the road but the cooking oil cost will favour the 306. Would rather have used the CLK as it's effortless to drive but it's not taxed and would probably have used twice the fuel.

What area are you in Barrett? The guy I used to bring the TR7 up from Chester to Scotland was ace and way cheaper than anything I got via shipley. He's all over the country so he might be able to pick it up for you. If you're interested I can send you his details?

Tis a brill little mota. Base spec with the largest engine, & a lot of fun to drive. FSH to the last owner -and under the mud (of which there's plenty!) its a solid as a rock. NO sign anywhere of metallurgical deterioration.

Dont really know what to do with it now -other than a really good clean. Taxc has just expired & I've got plenty of discs out in the street right now, so I might just rustproof it up and mothball it for emergencies. It owes me slightly more than nothing at all.

Took the BX Mk2 down my trusted MOT place today. Got a slow puncture sorted - duff valve. That cost me a couple of quid. Also asked them to have a look at the rot. I must concede with them that really, it's right royally f*cked. If you had an endless budget and could get your hands on a rear wing and a rear crossmember, it might be ok - but those parts simply don't exist. Mix in the need for a clutch and cambelt soon and it's curtains really.

I've got the Mk1 up for sale at the moment but am now considering a major game of swapsies. The Mk2 has delicious running gear (a clutch and cambelt change is also a piece of piss with the engine out of the car) so would improve the Mk1 no end. I've never done an engine change on anything other than a 2CV (which is so simple a child could do it) but this plan seems highly logical captain.

Wait, I'm a little confused... is it the Mk2 that's rotten beyond hope?

If that's the case then transferring the running gear into the Mk1 seems like a good move, as that car really does need to be saved and while the Mk2 has obviously been a big part of your life for a long time, there are plenty Mk2 BX Estates out there so sacrificing that one to help save something as rare as the Mk1 is a perfectly acceptable move to me...

In other news, Bond Collection V.2 has been set in motion. Let's see how long this takes/ how much it can go wrong

Hi I have done a few jobs for shiply mainly when I have a delivery to make and need to find a return load. One of the biggest problems I find are all these supposed professionals bidding seriously low prices to ship cars. London to bristol at less than 80 quid. It costs me nearly 120 in diesel to travel that. Quite how they can do it at those prices I don't know. Which is probably why they mess around and find extra's to charge for later. Shiply take their cut to start with which is the deposit you pay. He should of done the job regardless. I messed up the other day after trying to get a return load from birmingham back down to somerset. In the time it took for one customer to accept my bid and me cancelling all the other jobs I bid on I had a second job accepted. I ended up having to spend another few hours on a friday night doing the second job as if I say I will do a job I do it even though I did end up out of pocket. One way to make sure you get a decent quote is to actually respond to any quotes you get. If I am looking for a back load I will put bids in on all the jobs but 99% of them are a waste of time as the person listing the job doesn't actually want it done and doesn't bother cancelling the listing. Shiply is a cheap way of getting stuff moved as long as both sides communicate and understand that we all need to make a living

Well, the chap rang me earlier, so he's already done a much better job than the last guy who took a week to even get in contact with me. He reckons it'll be here Friday morning, as long as the seller is available (he rang me first). I'm a lot more hopeful about this guy, so keep yr fingers crossed for me folks and there might be an amusing* thread posted on Friday afternoon....

Progress made in solving the mouldy swimming pool ambience of the 560sec. Did a bit experimentation with a wine glass full of water and figured out that one of the front sunroof drain tubes, rather than siphoning water down the A pillar and onto the wheelarch, was allowing it through a rusty hole into the headling and down the a post trim all over the dash and floor. Gr9 for cultivating spores etc. Some dismantling, hosepipe and silicone sealant later and i think i#ve got it fixed :mrgreen:

A bit more time has been spend on repairing this Audi A4 of the neighbours, I can't believe how well the repair has came out, I'm really chuffed with it, just a shame the cars a right shitter.

I painted it in the driveway yesterday, the neighbours cat decided to help, I wasn't expecting much TBH.

es6ej9.jpg

Then today after a quick flat back with some 1200 wet & dry and a polish with my mop i couldn't believe how good it looked!.

2h3zzhe.jpg

v6qf4k.jpg

The photos don't do it Justice as it was getting dark but I'm happy anyway!

Thanks guys, It looks even better in the flesh, It's cost me about £45 in materials so i hope he won't moan when i ask £80 for the work, I might even try for £100 to start with, I think that's fair seeing a garage would charge near on £200 for the same job.

Hitch a lift with that chap doing 30k a year in the lpg car, he'll be up here soon enough.

You can kip in the spare room for a night, I'll feed you, give you a hundred notes and my cat would look just as disgusted (she's on streetview looking disapproving at the camera).

Mini has sold on Ebay to someone with actual feedback. £1375, so a little more than I hoped for frankly. Took it for a last drive this morning - it's now sitting in the garage so the winning bidder can have a look at it without getting soaked. Special treatment! I'm crap at selling cars really. I think I undersold it, and then we put a tenner's worth of fuel in it because we couldn't cope with the idea of selling it with barely any fuel in it! Just hope we haven't lured another messer...