The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Maplins just has to be the shitters FAV SCHOP...not been in there for ages - popped in to get some solder and ended up buying a complete new soldering kit for under a tenner! The've got dremel style tools for under £20 with 30 odd bits as well...I've used them on line a lot but the shop[ was definately worth a visit

Looks a belter. Sometimes values don't really matter either, if you've bought it to keep and you're happy with it then that's all that matters. I expect you'd get a few years worth of enjoyment out of that if you keep on top of it and those interiors really are top drawer stuff.

Well, I've got this home now - and it's just as ace as I thought it was going to be. Had a long chat with the old boy seller who bought it brand new when he retired and has "looked after it like a baby" ever since. He's decided to replace it with a diesel Insignia, which I can only put down to senility - but as the beneficiary I can't complain.

I've got a busy few days and I've got a bit of work to do on my old smoker before I flog it - so I'm keeping the Rover off the road for a bit until I can swap the insurance over. But if anyone's in the market for a 1995 BMW 316 Compact (yes, I know), I'll be open to offers from Autoshiters soon. Details to follow in the coming days - don't all rush at once...

Before doing anything else with your 75, check the drain plenums for the shelf between bulkhead and engine, and check out the 75&ZT forum for details of how to modify your bonnet catch to stop it failing! These were some of the first things I did to mine. If the plenums block up, the shelf overflows all over the ECU. Nice! I expect they're ok if the previous owner is a passionate type, but you never know... I used an old curtain wire to check the plenums on mine.

New one today - seatbelt... receiver (already smashed from having the seat land on it a million times) refuses to buckle. Lucky I noticed this on the driveway rather than while being propelled through the windscreen. Swapped the passenger one over for now (also all smashed from having the seat fall on it) but it'll need sorting.

Maplins

I always want to buy a load of switches, and maybe one of those caravan satellite dishes so I can watch the Azerbaijani shopping channel in the bath.

I very nearly spent 40 quid on the components to create a new automatic coffee machine - the shop was designed to annoy the WIVES - you just know that any project will result in burns in furniture, swearing and a best tea tray covered in transistors, solder, broken PCBs and superglue - tastefully arranged in a Tracy Erminesque art installation on the dining room table for a 9 month showing before eventually gettimg binned

Best bit was making myself a clutch aligning tool 8)

Socket t-bar and insulating tape I sincerely hope? If not as shite go stand in the corner with a pointed hat with a D on.

Nearly, instead i got some un-used stainless steel bar from work :wink: .. and used two winds of electrical tape to 'beef' it up

Needless to say it worked perfectly 8)

Before doing anything else with your 75, check the drain plenums for the shelf between bulkhead and engine, and check out the 75&ZT forum for details of how to modify your bonnet catch to stop it failing! These were some of the first things I did to mine. If the plenums block up, the shelf overflows all over the ECU. Nice! I expect they're ok if the previous owner is a passionate type, but you never know... I used an old curtain wire to check the plenums on mine.

Thanks for the tip, DW - I'll take a look.

Mrs the Princess and I are heading to Reading to get some bits from an Ambassador that is being scrapped. My first proper scrapyard trip in about 6 years :mrgreen:

Metro welding is complete so next weekend is reassembly time, MoT by the end of the yer (fingers crossed).

Knowing the area pretty well, I bet it's either a red one..or this one:

5352701134_a14cd2a6bb.jpg

1984 Austin Ambassador 2.0 HL Hatchback. by bramm77, on Flickr

Oh, didn't see that thread! I know that yard very well, been there multiple times, pretty helpful bunch too. They issue the CoD mega quick though, literally as soon as the car lands, a tightnit run operation I think. They generally spray a tick on the windscreen though....

They always have some form of shite there, so you might spot some other stuff too. Ideal basis for a thread if you take a camera too :wink:

Looks nasty, the OSR tyre on my old Carlton estate did that at 70+mph in the fast lane of the motorway when my friend was driving. Very scary but he managed to get it scross 2 busy lanes and onto the hard shoulder very smoothly, not sure whether that was down to the car or the driving though!

Not the greatest of mechanical skills but:

Flushed the cooling system on the Audi and lobbed some anti-freeze in.

Replaced flat battery on Cavalier with big eff off heavy duty one and it started first turn and still sounds MEGA.

'Mended' the Picasso dents a bit more by the simple use of a plastic kid's skittle and a hammer. Rear door dent looks slightly better now I've added a Union flag sticker and some blue-tak I shit you not :lol:

Flushed the coolant/added new anti-freeze on that too: bollocks to 'modern' cars, it was about 800 times harder to piss about getting the hoses off than it was on the Audi. Refitted the rear door trim and now could ideally do with getting a door rubbing strip thing to make it look about 47.2% better than it does without it

Changed the thermostat on a mate's mk1 1.8 Avensis today, I wish all car jobs were that easy. His heater is all hot and toasty now as the old 'stat was stuck open. He let me take it for a spin afterwards and I must say, although it's a tad dull, it's got nice comfy seats and not a single squeak or rattle from the dash. Rear visibility is appalling though.

In contrast, the sum total of my own car achievements today were fitting a new front wiper to the BX.

I've owned The Volvo for exactly eight years today. It has been the only constant in my life since 2003, and even though it now looks a bit shabby and has suffered from a few fairly minor problems (including the ongoing overdrive relay fault) since I've owned it, it's proof positive that given a modicum of care and maintenance, rear wheel drive Volvos can be excellent long-term ownership prospects; 215,000 miles and counting :)