The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Fitted front brake discs and pads on the V40. You can tell the car has been living in Scotland, everything is rusted to buggery (well all the bolts etc)

Fitted the Goodyear tyres on it I had knocking about as well. The CV joint looks like it has been crying and it is grumbling if the wheel is turned right at all. I think that might mean joint has had it. Will have to track one down.

Also got to get the micra up for sale.. will do that tomorrow.

Got the chance of a 96 2 litre twin Spark Alfa 155 today for scrap money (£150-200). The brakes are to the floor as the pipe's snapped and the clutch won't work although he recons the thrust bearing's stuck. Oh and it needs two little on the floor patches. I'm obviously tempted but I no space. You recon it's worth saving or better just letting it go to the bin?

Surrendered tax on the T2 at the end of last month.

This morning, 12th, I received not one but three letters from DVL twat;

1, cheque - money back

2, SORN

3. V5c in red..

OK, but they could have come in just 1 envelope

saving DVL twat, 36p each.

just 72p here,

but if every minor transaction like this was 72p cheaper

then I calculate that this country, although in the shit,

might not be quite so, up to its fucking neck...

you comments as always, appreciated

96 155 could be either the 'orrible narrow one or the greatly improved wide body one.

Clutch will more likely than not be the slave cylinder gone. Takes about 30 mins to swap and isn't too hard to do. Battery and tray out, unscrew it, screw new one on, pressure bleed it, battery and tray back in, Bob's your mothers brother.

Unlike a 156 where the same repair involves "Remove gearbox".

Who was it who said they had a mate with a classic car in that container ship that ran aground off New Zealand?

salvage33.jpg

Well there might be a slight chance of him getting it back. They have sucked all the oily liquids out of the ship to prevent pollution and are as I write mooring a slightly large barge with a couple of cranes on it alongside so they can start removing containers. [cue picture of shipshite/]

showphoto.aspx?photoid=634941

It could take a while though as they are thinking that six containers a day will be a good average and there is always the threat of the ship breaking up if bad weather hits in the mean time.

I got the 240! And its a complete nail. No problem breaking this bad boy!

DSCI1163.jpg

DSCI1164.jpg

Bummed it for its rear headrests already as mine were missing, also pinched a load of missing interior clips to replace broken items. It has a rare load cover blind which won't retract but hopefully should be fixable, its also has a pair of new tyres on the front and a kenlowe electric fan conversion! I'm deffo feltching its thermostat!!

Dragged it back from the Wirral no probs, but avoided the motorways as the combination was just a bit too conspicuous for my liking. My O/S/R disc was very hot when I got home too. Frigging thing!!!@££!!

Its had a few things bodged on in the past, such as a secondary oil cooler which looks a bit nasty. Engine seems to have no compression on one cylinder, suspect the helicoiled spark plug the seller told me about, autobox has a bad leak and has been towed for 60 miles at 60MPH so will be totally borked by now. Rear axle has just been re-bushed AND comes with a whole set of spare bushes too. Apparently has had new discs all round. Should make a great "driveway Queen"/ emergency beer shed.

Anyone need any bits?

Looks like you could get enough spares off that 240 to keep yours on the road forever, Tim :)

Pity it's not a 740, though, as I'd nab some bits from it for The Volvo ;)

Pawnote: I bet that the Mediterranean Shipping Company will be really annoyed if that ship sinks, as many of the containers on it belong to them :mrgreen:

Well, the Rover sucessfully transported me to Brum and back, despite its clutch issues. Occasionally, I had to lift the pedal up with my foot and the usual traffic jam at the M6/M5 interchange was 'interesting' but it still works. Sort of. Sadly, a headlamp bulb has gone. Fuggin' thing. Naturally, that's an easy fix as long as you have child-sized hands and double-jointed wrists. And don't mind going in via the wheelarch.

I've definitely fallen out of love with the Rover. On the one hand, I love the way it covers distance. I felt I'd barely driven anywhere when I arrived home last night. On the other, I want a car where I can get at stuff again. Sure no-one wants it? I reckon £850 and it's yours. Top spec diesel in need of fettling with T&T. Bargain.

Then I'll blow a chunk of that on getting the BX sorted. That needs to become the daily.

I found a tiny bit of grot on the sill of the sd1, which turned into a massive hole when I started poking at it. It's rotted through the outer sill and inner sill right up through the floor. What's even worse is when I was cutting it I didn't realise the loom was directly above what I was cutting! I nipped 4 individual wires and cut the first cable in the ribbon cable. Nothing irrepairable but I was already in the huff after finding the grot so I just went home and sulked. Friggin car. Half tempted to buy that Vitesse for sale on RR and transfer all the good bits off mine onto it.

I couldn't believe my luck when I spied this in my local charity shop:

6337980612_c3a9f26bd2_z.jpg

Can't wait to watch it! Perhaps I could grab a few stills from it :)

In other news the GSA needs a bit more work to sort out the water ingress that's plagued the car for a number of years :( I can't remember how long ago it last had carpets in it... Megane is running well and I'm pleased with it... I've nearly got the knack with the gearshift, but still 1st and 2nd catch me out from time to time.

Mark.

I bet that is a good feeling!

It is, especially as so far it is all my own work with a bit of help from the internet including, of course the good people on this forum!

I know it was not a big job and that most people on here could probably change a coil blind folded with one hand behind their back but it is quite an important step forward for me in terms of learning and actually having the guts to 'mess around'!!

Next I am going to attempt to fit a new exhaust :shock: !!

Well, the Rover sucessfully transported me to Brum and back, despite its clutch issues. Occasionally, I had to lift the pedal up with my foot and the usual traffic jam at the M6/M5 interchange was 'interesting' but it still works. Sort of. Sadly, a headlamp bulb has gone. Fuggin' thing. Naturally, that's an easy fix as long as you have child-sized hands and double-jointed wrists. And don't mind going in via the wheelarch.

I've definitely fallen out of love with the Rover. On the one hand, I love the way it covers distance. I felt I'd barely driven anywhere when I arrived home last night. On the other, I want a car where I can get at stuff again. Sure no-one wants it? I reckon £850 and it's yours. Top spec diesel in need of fettling with T&T. Bargain.

Then I'll blow a chunk of that on getting the BX sorted. That needs to become the daily.

Once I discovered the trapdoors in the wheel arches I found the Rover lights a doodle. Damned sight simpler than my C5 ones.

It is, especially as so far it is all my own work with a bit of help from the internet including, of course the good people on this forum!

I know it was not a big job and that most people on here could probably change a coil blind folded with one hand behind their back but it is quite an important step forward for me in terms of learning and actually having the guts to 'mess around'!!

I'm not far beyond that stage, it really is the way to go with old shite. Exhausts can be a PITA when sealing the manifold joint, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Apologies if it sounds patronising (not intended) but good on you. There's something quite nice about being able to piddle about with your own stuff and getting a result out of it.

Managed to get a Morris 1,000 going after six years or so lying dormant by a bit of messing about and a new fuel pump and felt like a master mechanice!

Boring car related news at Cavcraft but having seen the state of my bank account it's time for a clear out. The Cav may have to go which is pretty shit as I've loved every minute of owning it but it's not getting the use and the diseasel daily is winning the race to be kept purely because of it's economy.

Hopefully the (admittedly far more useful) Zafira can find a new home though, which means the Cav can stay put.

Apologies if it sounds patronising (not intended) but good on you. There's something quite nice about being able to piddle about with your own stuff and getting a result out of it.

Thankyou, it has felt very rewarding so far.

I'm not far beyond that stage, it really is the way to go with old shite. Exhausts can be a PITA when sealing the manifold joint, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cheers, it will be an interesting experience!

Pete.