The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I'm starting to think I might have to sell the Rover already. :cry:

...question now is to find the best way to sell...

Put it on Retro-Rides and say you're selling it because you didn't realise the tyres were made in Germany and you can't take your Polish mates in the car as they'll throw you out of the stamp collecting club.

My Kadett went off with it's new owner 20 minutes ago, I feel very sad :( but I just fancied a change, I loved the car but there was just something about it that didn't do it for me, Admittingly it made my back ache like buggery on a journey over 25 minutes and i always thought it just looks odd from behind.

That does mean that i now have a nice lump of cash to buy a new toy with, on the check list is that it needs to be pre-1981 (I'd love a 80's car but there's a really good show that i do which states all cars must be pre-81 to enter) have a half decent sized engine, be capable of doing a few miles (I wanted to do the RetroRides gathering this year but just couldn't face the drive in the Kadett there) and be usable so that it doesn't spend all it's time in the garage unlike the Kadett.

My Kadett went off with it's new owner 20 minutes ago, I feel very sad :( but I just fancied a change, I loved the car but there was just something about it that didn't do it for me, Admittingly it made my back ache like buggery on a journey over 25 minutes and i always thought it just looks odd from behind.

That does mean that i now have a nice lump of cash to buy a new toy with, on the check list is that it needs to be pre-1981 (I'd love a 80's car but there's a really good show that i do which states all cars must be pre-81 to enter) have a half decent sized engine, be capable of doing a few miles (I wanted to do the RetroRides gathering this year but just couldn't face the drive in the Kadett there) and be usable so that it doesn't spend all it's time in the garage unlike the Kadett.

You'll be getting loads of opinions, but I'll jump in with this. More grunt and comfier, probably:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-2000- ... 336dcbc404

$(KGrHqZ,!lwE6C-LNtpBBOsC0lZfm!~~60_12.JPG

You even get various dashboard adornments and a mug :)

Good call Rob, I do like those, the Mk1 in my opinion is even better looking, there was 2500 i used too see about rolling on a set of minilites which looked fab.

Whatever i get will need to fit in my garage as well which is 187" long, I'd still love a old Ford but they are so expensive now. Too much choice!

Same here, must be garage sized or it's out of the running. Most 70s stuff should be ok though in that sense. And with these isn't it the case to avoid the 2.5PI and go with carbs? Not sure who told me that, could be a load of cobblers!

Somebody tells me the funds are going to be used for Christmas jumpers....

I'm sure Cavette could sort you out with a Mondeo :P

Good call, Felly.

On a serious not Trigworthy I know what you mean about uncomfortable cars. The Mk3 Cortina wasn't especially rewarding to drive, nor was the last Maxi I had. Real shame as (especially with the Cortina) I badly wanted to like them more.

Pre-81?

Check.

Big Engine?

Check.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C231269

Length?

Well wiki says 187".

It also says its 14" longer than the soft top, which doesn't sound right to me.

That's right. The SLC has a longer wheelbase to give a bit more room for rear passengers. Good call, though I personally find these things entirely dull to tool about it.

:lol: i was thinking about doing a thread for suggestions, the trouble is i love so many different cars that i can never decide what to buy.

I'm stuck at work tonight so I've only got my phone, I'll start a thread tomorrow for suggestions, it will ve interesting to see what you guys come up with.

P.s Sporty thanks for the offer but i'm not sure that i really fancy the Celica (even though it is gorgeous!).

Oh well. Lobbed the Rover on Retro-Rides - where it's got kicked out as too new. Not before someone cross-posted onto the R75/ZT forum though, where it's got absolutely slated as being 'fit only for breaking.' Good grief. I reckon a spend of £500 would leave you with a fabulous car, but the enthusiasts reckon it's a complete shit-heap without setting eye on it. Hoorah for enthusiasts!

P.s Sporty thanks for the offer but i'm not sure that i really fancy the Celica (even though it is gorgeous!).

No worries, Trig. Just thought it might "fit the bill".

Yeah! Stop bloody posting it up (because it's fit and you know it, slag). :wink:

I think Shaun1706 ought to buy Sporty's car.

Come on, Shaun, imagine CROOZIN round the lake in that, or perhaps popping down to Rednal for a blast round the industrial estate? You'd be a clunge magnet, fighting them off with a shitty stick and all kinds!

Rather typically, now I've decided the flog the Rover, the clutch is playing up. My suspicion is master cylinder (it's had a slave I think) and I did find a puddle of something damp in the driver's footwell - which can indicate that it is leaking. At the moment, occasionally I have to lift the pedal with my foot and give it a pump. Mix in the need for double-delclutching for third gear and I'm getting better with my feet than Riverdance. £150 for a master cylinder, and it's in a horrific place (right up where the pedals hinge). Ebay awaits I think...

I had a long chat with my shite loving friend Chris last night. Latest news is that he has a Renner 5 "Le Car" on the drive, and he's off to France tomorrow with a friend to trailer back a RHD R16... that he wouldn't have known about if I hadn't spotted it on here and posted him the link. It's all my fault! :mrgreen:

I told him to take plenty of pics :twisted:

Mark.

A glorious Saturday spent with mum's Mégane II trying to get the wipers to work again. The scuttle drains at the bottom of the windscreen were blocked for god knows how long. The well was basically a pool of about 25 litres of water. It's caused all sorts of havoc - leaking in through the air intake and killed the fan (now resurrected) and filled the underfloor cubby holes. The final victim has been the wiper motor which sits under the scuttle panel and so was swimming in mucky crap. Removed, dried and bathed in electrical contact spray and it's all good again, Drains cleaned and tested so it's now more likely to survive winter. Such a poor design.

Speaking of poor designs, one of her dipped beam bulbs needed replacing. That's a real fun job on a Mégane!