The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The nut splitters I ordered were sitting on the doorstep when I got in from work, so I decided to attack the top mounting nut on the MG's rear strut.  It took bloody ages because everything in the engine bay of a TF has about 2mm of clearance around it, but I got it off in the end.  Can't fit the new strut yet though because I discovered that the nut is in fact M10 x 1.25mm, and the only M10 nuts I have are 1.5mm pitch.  Don't think any of the local hardware places will have any fine pitch nuts, so I'm going to have to order them online.

Also got the second pair of rear door hinges fitted to the Maxus - was a twat getting everything to line up, fortunately one of the neighbours wandered over to see what I was doing and I got him to hold the door in position while I fitted the top hinge - would have been even more of a bastard on my own.  Door now opens and closes a lot more easily than it used to, so that's good.

Drove the 206 in to work today as it hadn't had a run for a while.  Weather was a bit dull this morning but was lovely by the time I left off at 5.30ish so I drove home with the roof down, which was nice.

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Can't fit the new strut yet though because I discovered that the nut is in fact M10 x 1.25mm, and the only M10 nuts I have are 1.5mm pitch.  Don't think any of the local hardware places will have any fine pitch nuts, so I'm going to have to order them online.

Most Japanese motorcycles use  M10 X 1.25, any local bike shops?

10 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

Most Japanese motorcycles use  M10 X 1.25, any local bike shops?

Nearest bike shop is 10 miles away but I do have the remains of a dead Honda Spacy in the back garden - I might see if there's any I can nick off there.

And home again.

20230526_175745.thumb.jpg.844b6e004aa4f1376b52d45568dbe52e.jpg

Somewhat to my surprise, the old crate never missed a beat, whether it was hammering down the dual carriageway at 60+ or grinding through the bank holiday traffic in Wroxham on the way home.  It still definitely needs some fine tuning by someone who knows what they're doing though, and the valve clearances on the offside cylinder need adjusting.  There's also still a bit of petrol in the oil, but I'm not sure whether that's new or just because I didn't quite get all the old oil out of the engine when I changed it.  It certainly isn't doing the flooding the carb, conking out and chucking petrol all over the inlet manifold that it used to do before my last fiddling session, so that's good.

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

And home again.

20230526_175745.thumb.jpg.844b6e004aa4f1376b52d45568dbe52e.jpg

Somewhat to my surprise, the old crate never missed a beat, whether it was hammering down the dual carriageway at 60+ or grinding through the bank holiday traffic in Wroxham on the way home.  It still definitely needs some fine tuning by someone who knows what they're doing though, and the valve clearances on the offside cylinder need adjusting.  There's also still a bit of petrol in the oil, but I'm not sure whether that's new or just because I didn't quite get all the old oil out of the engine when I changed it.  It certainly isn't doing the flooding the carb, conking out and chucking petrol all over the inlet manifold that it used to do before my last fiddling session, so that's good.

Remind me of the engine and where you are. It’s not the air cooled 652 is it?

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Replacement shock more or less fitted to the MG.

20230526_202414.thumb.jpg.c499c0ce1550e6e2b7492017a1c91f73.jpg

Just needs a retaining nut for the top mount - I've ordered some nuts online as couldn't find any the right size.  Mildly annoying as I would have liked it to be usable for the MG centenary this weekend but hey ho.

Drive it anyway, just go a bit* slower over big bumps. Gravity FTW

On 25/05/2023 at 16:37, Stanky said:

Anyone ever gambled on a 'special' hire car?

I did the «dealer’s choice» thing with Hertz in Gothenburg a few weeks ago. I think the smallest car I could’ve gotten was a Yaris or similar.

Ended up with a brand new, 2 - yes, two - km on the clocks, Citroën C5 Aircross hybrid. Lovely car, but a bit thirsty as it hadn’t been charged.

Of course, this being Volvo Town, it was one of about three non-Volvos in the entire parking lot 😄

Best free upgrade I ever got was with Sixt in Frankfurt 7-8 years ago. I had booked a 3-series or similar, which turned out to be a VW Tiguan. A bit meh I thought, but fair enough.

However, the «Refill Adblue, or I won’t start in *** km» message was showing. After a while of them trying to refill it from a 20 litre tank into the worst filler location possible (beside the spare wheel istr) they gave up and asked if I’d like the BMW 4-series Gran Coupe next to it instead.

Only too happy to! However, some tapping at a tablet later, it was already spoken for. Would I take the black, dull looking 5-series Touring across the aisle? A rather less enthusiastic yes.

It turned out to be a 530d X-drive with dark brown full leather and ALL of the toys. Fantastic thing. 

Spent a good chunk of the day pfaffing with the car.

20230526_104537.thumb.jpg.40a19bedde93add2625b1a43915fedee.jpg

Pulled the clutch master off, wasn't overly optimistic.

20230526_111805.thumb.jpg.49a76529574fa02b701c4b99993dffac.jpg

Well, there we go. The bore is perfect. Put a new seal kit in and buttoned it up.

20230526_120521.thumb.jpg.54925a7b3fc8497a633dd67853b6b256.jpg

Stuck that back in place and hooked it up.

20230526_123509.thumb.jpg.7cf6e70f606ba6293f5be9e7bef6c9de.jpg

Took the wheel off for better access to the slave, that's seen better days.

20230526_134953.thumb.jpg.bbdfda73cd66166f2aff8ccbf2ad9c49.jpg

Still, replaced the slave cylinder, which was 110% stuck solid in place. Got it all bled up which returned a good pedal.

20230526_172713.thumb.jpg.72b9898ad87b00f4c043f0c10d472a77.jpg

Stuck a new solid state fuel pump on and flushed the lines through. Net result, it'll move by itself now. Still starts really nicely too.

Phil

15 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

Many words stuck with F....

Such as Fuck...

Bonnet blew open while doing 70. Fuuun.  

Worse than it looks, just bonnet and windscreen. 

And awaiting recovery of now. 

Not the driver's seat as well?

Hope it can be fixed without too much excess/insurance hassle.