The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Took the Pontiac to the local car night tonight, cruised in with the windows down… more than once I heard the comment “What the fuck is that” followed by expressions of how awesome it is. Always enjoy how much it confuses people! 

66D73680-9903-4A69-B507-C6301967545A.jpeg

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Took the Pontiac to the local car night tonight, cruised in with the windows down… more than once I heard the comment “What the fuck is that” followed by expressions of how awesome it is. Always enjoy how much it confuses people! 

66D73680-9903-4A69-B507-C6301967545A.jpeg

It's funny how people in different countries react to cars that are (were) entirely normal elsewhere. One of the reasons I own the obscure stuff I own, EDUCATE!😂 I'd recognize a dustbuster from a mile away.

My old Avensis has been giving me a concern for the last few weeks. First start of the day it would briefly run on three before being ok for the rest of the day.

I checked the glow plugs and one was dead but modern HP diesel systems don't really need them for starting but I changed it anyway but it still fired up on three. Then one morning it reverted to starting on four again but it now had a noticeable diesel knock between 1200 and 2000 rpm until it had warmed up instead.

I don't possess a scanner as I only run old jap stuff so I couldn't look at what the injectors were up to so instead I splashed out £8.35 on a bottle of snake oil and glugged the whole lot into the fuel tank.

IMG20230322142651.thumb.jpg.e4bc109d233973570cb68be003190527.jpg

Well its taken about 100 miles but last week the old girl finally stopped knocking from cold and is now positively brisk again (well as much as 154k/126hp Toyota can be).

Was it the fuel additive or just coincidence I've no idea but whatever has managed to unclog the injectors nozzle then happy days.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/man-arrested-suspicion-murder-after-8390251

Next road to me. Partner etc knew the woman who has been asking for help regarding domestic violence for years.

Not really the kind of thing we're used to here. Police and forensics etc have been there all day and removed a car

On 4/25/2023 at 5:55 PM, TheIsleofShite said:

Drove past this not long after it happened, sad demise of what’s becoming a rare sight. Hope the driver is ok and that it’s just their Pride that’s dented…..

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/23480452.isle-wight-crash-sees-car-go-wall-man-taken-hospital/

9611A910-923D-466B-BC7B-853E29E57081.jpeg

I see what you did there. lol

Had to de-ice the 2cv yesterday to go to work. Can’t recall the last time I did this - probably 20 years ago in ascot. Since then it’s been undercover in harsh weather. Sunday was roof off weather ( for a while) with @Six-cylinder in the x1/9 although I did give him a cap to wear.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:49 PM, bunglebus said:

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/man-arrested-suspicion-murder-after-8390251

Next road to me. Partner etc knew the woman who has been asking for help regarding domestic violence for years.

Not really the kind of thing we're used to here. Police and forensics etc have been there all day and removed a car

I'm so sorry to see that, what an horrendous crime.

We had a situation here a couple of years ago where somebody was violently murdered and the perpetrator lived less than 100 yards from us.  Police and forensics there for several days along with the gutter press swarming the area.  He got life and I very much doubt he'll ever be released.

You never forget it and it's very unsettling.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:38 AM, BeEP said:

We did our bit for drive it day by having these three out in convoy...

1326429135_Three1300s.jpg.2ad23d6ebbb282258b5b5243051ca36d.jpg

Friends of mine came down on Saturday in the aquamarine car, and we took all three to March station yesterday to collect another friend who has taken the white one off my hands (he bought the aquamarine car 30 years ago to the day, before selling it on in 2008 - it's taken us until now to persuade him back into ado16 ownership!).  We passed a Sunbeam Alpine and an 80's Toyota so a few old cars were getting some use.

You white one is for sale again!

I would love it but I need to urgently sell some cars.

Edit: just looked at the advert. Oh my. I didn't know it has a 1300gt engine in 😬

I wish I could buy it. 

Screenshot_20230428-115448.png

15 minutes ago, SiC said:

You white one is for sale again!

I would love it but I need to urgently sell some cars.

Edit: just looked at the advert. Oh my. I didn't know it has a 1300gt engine in 😬

I wish I could buy it. 

Screenshot_20230428-115448.png

He's done you a favour by moving it from Norfolk to Somerset!  I think his glasses had too much of a rose tint, but I am a bit surprised by just how quickly it's up for sale again.  Also it didn't smoke noticably whilst I had it so I'm not sure what's happened there.

6 minutes ago, BeEP said:
He's done you a favour by moving it from Norfolk to Somerset!  I think his glasses had too much of a rose tint, but I am a bit surprised by just how quickly it's up for sale again.  Also it didn't smoke noticably whilst I had it so I'm not sure what's happened there.

Do you think he wants a deal with a P4? 🫣

Say no otherwise my wife will kill me!

48 minutes ago, SiC said:

Do you think he wants a deal with a P4? 🫣

Say no otherwise my wife will kill me!

No, and not just to save your life!  His reason for selling is that with six other cars it will never get used.  Which I've interpreted as having driven it 200 miles he's realised he enjoys the others (which are all considerably newer) more.  I don't think going even older would work.

3 hours ago, Erebus said:

Anthony?  Could well be, he said he lives in Portishead.

I actually sold the 205 a while ago.  It's now owned by a lady in Cornwall who also has a 5 door 205 in the exact same colour (Heather Green).

The 1100 advert says an Anthony S. 

Two minor but somewhat annoying breakages on the fleet this week.  The driver's window regulator on the Carina has carked it (it's been showing signs for a while to be fair) and the Visa has lost one of the retaining clips from the nearside headlight, which must have pinged off somewhere (I possibly didn't push it on far enough when I fitted it).

I can get a secondhand regulator for the Toyota for 35 quid so that's not the end of the world, but when I did the one in the rear door last year it was a rather fiddly job as the cable was completely fecked - I expect this one will be the same.  The only source of Visa headlight clips I've been able to find is in Germany, and they want 28 quid for a single clip - fuck paying that for a 2" by 1" bit of bent metal.  I can feel a bodge coming on...

40 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Two minor but somewhat annoying breakages on the fleet this week.  The driver's window regulator on the Carina has carked it (it's been showing signs for a while to be fair) and the Visa has lost one of the retaining clips from the nearside headlight, which must have pinged off somewhere (I possibly didn't push it on far enough when I fitted it).

I can get a secondhand regulator for the Toyota for 35 quid so that's not the end of the world, but when I did the one in the rear door last year it was a rather fiddly job as the cable was completely fecked - I expect this one will be the same.  The only source of Visa headlight clips I've been able to find is in Germany, and they want 28 quid for a single clip - fuck paying that for a 2" by 1" bit of bent metal.  I can feel a bodge coming on...

Do you mean these?44526725__1.jpeg.bb8cd0efb721b44926f9b8e47db62ada.jpeg

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/253873787427?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=5282-175127-2357-0&ssspo=0ALu9_AiSZC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=1gRsBydUQIa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Just treated the Mobylette to a new exhaust.  The exhausts on those mount onto the cylinder with a BFO nut, and the flange on the exhaust down pipe that the nut pushes against to hold the pipe against the exhaust port was partially snapped off many years ago by my brother riding it like a twat.  The result of that was that the nut kept coming undone and I had to go everywhere with a 32mm spanner strapped to the luggage rack to tighten it up again.  I found a new pattern exhaust for 45 quid which will hopefully solve that particular issue.  

Then I just need to fit the new rear tyre, tidy up the wiring and find a way to stop the front brake cable from pulling through its nipple.  Oh, and do something about the massive amount of play in the headstock bearings.

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

No, they're open-ended, like these:

s-l1600.jpg

I could probably knock something up by cutting up a metal biscuit tin or something, they're not a difficult shape.

There's someone in Austria claiming to sell them for €1.30

https://www.doppelwinkel.at/scheinwerfer-haltklammer-für-verstellung

The other price is a joke.

3 hours ago, Mally said:

How Much!

Precisely. Back in the late 70s, I was selling tins of GTX and Duckhams Q. Their reps swung by, every month or so. Strong, sassy females, moi at 18 had no chance (what a way to go tho). Also had own brand Longlife tins. Must be at least 10x dearer now?