The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, doug said:

Celebrated Drive it day by pushing the Kitten out and tried to start it after it sitting for ages. No start. The new super duper reinforced fuel hose I bought a couple of years ago had turned hard and cracked in multiple places. Ordered new hose and pushed it back into the naughty corner.dd3eff6c932fc684b5d26c08110d8bb8.jpg
P.S. the hill I stay on is not really as steep as this.
Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

I still really love this car 😍

Apart from seeing three tastefully* customised Nissan Cubes presumably making for home after Japfest at Silverstone, I did not spot anything interesting on the roads today. If I had known that it was Drive it Day I would have used the Tipo or even the Reliant, but I'm months behind in reading Practical Classics and hadn't picked up the date from any other source either.  I'll have my own drive it day during the week and, if I'm really going to sell the Reliant this year, I need to go for a last run in it sometime soon.

We did our bit for drive it day by having these three out in convoy...

1326429135_Three1300s.jpg.2ad23d6ebbb282258b5b5243051ca36d.jpg

Friends of mine came down on Saturday in the aquamarine car, and we took all three to March station yesterday to collect another friend who has taken the white one off my hands (he bought the aquamarine car 30 years ago to the day, before selling it on in 2008 - it's taken us until now to persuade him back into ado16 ownership!).  We passed a Sunbeam Alpine and an 80's Toyota so a few old cars were getting some use.

IMG20230423163934.thumb.jpg.1106e7a570c6940c3b42c9738c8e4151.jpg

I didn't realise it was drive it day but I did move my Subaru MV284 aka 'brat' about a mile down the road to where I will be moving to after it has sat around since 2018.

Although I had recently added a can of E5 to its tank I think it mixed with what was already in there to produce a fuel with the octane rating of a can of flat Tizer as it wasn't at all happy off choke or pulling away. It was better when fully warmed up but still had a big flat spot when moving off.

One wheel arch and sill end left to fabricate and I can't see why i can't be mot'd and used as a useful rolling project.

I think I must have been living under a rock, as everyone is talking about Drive It day in mutual understanding - is this an annual thing or is it a code name for Sundays now or something??

Surely every day is drive it day on Autoshite 😅

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

It's an annual thing, like National Sickie Day (Feb 6th). Some people celebrate both more frequently, of course.

Ah ok, yes it's drive it day in my household every time the moderns are blocked in and I can't be fucked with playing car tetris before the morning commute.

I didn't know about National Sickie Day either, every day is a school day.

22 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Well as predicted Drive It Day was a complete washout.  I actually drove all 11 of the four-wheeled fleet members over the course of the day (although the Mazda was just down to the car park and back to pump up the tyres as that's not MOT'd) but there was very little out and about - I took the Innocenti down to Roys of Wroxham to buy a few bits and passed someone just putting away their Shadow 2, then on the way back I passed a pre-war Austin 10 and an E28 5-series going the other way, but that was about it. 

I took the Renault 6 to Tesco and when I came out there was a chap looking round it who told me he'd had one as his first car and we had a brief chat, then later on when I went to fuel up the Volvo there was a giffer in a Dacia Sandero who told me he also had an Austin A55 van he was doing up so I had a bit of a natter with him, so I think I've done my bit to make classics more visible, which is after all the point of the day.

I was initially going to take the Visa to Tesco but it didn't want to play ball - it was only running on one cylinder.  Later on when the rain eased off a bit I took the nearside plug lead off and gave everything a spray of WD40 and the second cylinder gradually rejoined the party, so I went for a drive and once it was properly warmed up it actually drove really well.  All the others fired up and ran fine (the van needed a boost from the jump pack but then I've been buggering about with the windows a lot which has probably run the battery down).

Very little fettling done this weekend, but I wasn't really expecting to get anything done (yesterday's weather turned out to be a lot better than forecast) so even a little bit is a bonus.  I got the driver's door speaker working on the 75 - when I had the door card off to sort the window I noticed the speaker wires had been cut, I'd genuinely never noticed that speaker wasn't working (the rear door speaker is actually closer to my right ear which is probably why).  £5.64 for a speaker plug and a quick joining of wires and I now have a full complement of working speakers again - the difference is noticeable if not massive.

I also refitted the window regulator on the Maxus, which was a fiddly greasy twat of a job but it's all back together now.  As a temporary* bodge I've extended the wires to the motor out through the door card via the hole for the handle, and fitted bullet connectors so the wires can be swapped round to wind the window up or down.  At some point I'll have a proper go at tracing the wiring fault but that's not at the top of the priority list at the moment.

I started to have a go at investigating why the Visa's fuel gauge isn't working, but only got as far as ascertaining that there's power to the tank sender before I ran out of time so that's another job that remains on the list.

Today was the first time in a long while that some of the fleet have been driven in the rain, and my inner wiper nerd was mildly amused by the difference in approach between the two 1972 cars on the fleet, so I took a quick video.

@Six-cylinder showed two fingers to a very nice lagonda we overtook on the way to Bicester. on the way up to him i overtook an mx5 on the m25 which was  limited in speed because of the noise from the cross channel ferry sized exhaust.

on the way back a couple in an xk120 waved at princes risborough and I waved at a broke down Saab on the a308m just before the m4 junction.

On 22/04/2023 at 23:22, Popsicle said:

Picked up a Lidl oil transfer pump the other week, its called Ultimate Speed and was around £10.

20230422_153426.thumb.jpg.1fa4ec7158e0601221b35b7a4a47d9eb.jpg

Wasn't expecting much for the money but its a nice little bit of kit. Comes with decent length hoses, jubilee clips to secure them and crocodile clips for the battery. Put it to use for the first time today pumping the old power steering fluid out of the Caddy.

20230422_153437.thumb.jpg.ff8f511af9cceff4028bdb3479aeef5e.jpg

It was like gnats piss, all lubricity had deffo gone from it, Mannol's finest green coloured jizz went back in.

20230422_153447.thumb.jpg.898ded8330eb04994fab8f606e408dac.jpg

The steering had been getting a bit heavier at slow turning speeds, so flushed a few lots of this through till it was coming out green and it seems to have sorted out the slow speed stiffness - result. Pretty impressed with the oil pump too, might dangle it down the dipstick tube next time I service something to see how it does.

I also went all posh wiper wanker and fitted some hybrid Michelin Stealth wiper blades, think they where about £7 each in Costco. I've been using the Bosch Aero's for a few years, they always start off well for the first few weeks then slowly deteriorate and start smearing and juddering, so thought I'd give something else a whirl.

20230422_153409.thumb.jpg.4320f261469487706c06547296240f62.jpg

I know I do more miles than most but the Bosch's are shot after a month or two (15-20k), so see how these hold up.

costco by me have a newer variation called hydro-edge with a tidier connector system- the stealth always looked a bit incomplete if using hook type arms

don't rate bosch wipers at all

for my car bosch £28 for front pair, gen honda £11 each front or rear, costco £10 max each

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

costco by me have a newer variation called hydro-edge with a tidier connector system- the stealth always looked a bit incomplete if using hook type arms

don't rate bosch wipers at all

for my car bosch £28 for front pair, gen honda £11 each front or rear, costco £10 max each

Ah that might explain why the stealth wipers were reduced in price. Agree re the fixings though, I couldn't fathom it out at first and had to read the instructions on the packet! There's about 5 different fittings in the pack so I'm sure it'll fit most things.

Agree with the Bosch wipers, deffo not as good as they used to be.

New wipers had a good test today, 380 miles covered and I had my own personal rain cloud following me all day, first impressions are good though.

I did a small drive it day thing yesterday; what I call 'a Sunday' most weeks, weather dependent.
A couple of friends and I went to the Lancaster Insurance Cars & Coffee meet. Having a Fiat Coupe 20V in convoy must have looked odd, as both cars are weirdly styled.
Stranger still, people wanted to look at - and talk about - the SVX.

This confused me, as on the occasions I do take it to shows it gets ignored in favour of whatever [insert British classic] turns up adjacent.

This time, it was different. As everyone was clearing out, a bloke in an E-type FHC S1 drove in, scoped out the car park and then wanted to know more about it; as it turns out, he ran a '92 Legacy estate a daily driver, and had never seen an SVX before. Sadly, it also remains something of a bell end magnet - and a very specific bell end magnet at that. It doesn't look fast or provocative to me, but every other cunt in the East Midlands disagrees;  it's middle-aged blokes in Mazda 6s who are triggered the most.

I had a right war pulling on to the A1(M); I was there for one junction, joining the A605 from Stilton. Some boggle-eyed thick bastard saw me on the entry slip, dropped several gears to draw level and wouldn't stop tailgating  despite the fact I wasn't trying (at all, I just wanted to get away from him) before veering across all four lanes in a massive strop when I gestured for him to fuck off.

Later on, driving through a village near Graffham Water, I was tailgated back to fuck by...yes...you guessed it, a miserable middle-aged cumbauble driving a Mazda 6.
Fuck knows what that's all about. Any ideas?

FuZv302WYAEpYGi.jpeg

So with the white 1300 departed for its new life in Portishead (almost back to its Bristol origins) a bit of a reshuffle occurred this morning, so that the limeflower 1100 owned since 2005 can be worked on as a background project without blocking the workshop. As it was out I couldn't help taking a photo of it alongside the identically coloured shed 1300.

DSCN2794.thumb.JPG.feea9fa837921a7e08233de324268b95.JPG

16 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:
it's middle-aged blokes in Mazda 6s who are triggered the most.

I had a right war pulling on to the A1(M); I was there for one junction, joining the A605 from Stilton. Some boggle-eyed thick bastard saw me on the entry slip, dropped several gears to draw level and wouldn't stop tailgating  despite the fact I wasn't trying (at all, I just wanted to get away from him) before veering across all four lanes in a massive strop when I gestured for him to fuck off.

Later on, driving through a village near Graffham Water, I was tailgated back to fuck by...yes...you guessed it, a miserable middle-aged cumbauble driving a Mazda 6.
Fuck knows what that's all about. Any ideas?

Probably completely unrelated to you or the SVX, just desperate to get home before the DPF regen fails and dumps a gallon of diesel into the sump.

25 minutes ago, The Vicar said:

I just can’t be stopped; another new purchase 🫣

419B5666-DFE8-47A8-8181-9EDB8EE571C9.thumb.jpeg.b9910c8034780fe576baddf18af4767c.jpeg

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

2 hours ago, barefoot said:

@BeEP How do you get on with the 'wing' mirrors as opposed to the more modern/useful door mirrors? I remember learning to drive in a Morris 1000 & couldn't see a bloody thing in them.

Mostly they're useless!  The only car I've had where they acted as anything more than decorations was the beige Mk1 1100 I sold in 2019.  That said, if new ones were fitted which still adjusted properly they might work better.

2 hours ago, The Vicar said:

We’ll see what my welder has to say about that!

AC12E516-F7DA-4B9E-B454-81BD823EBD79.thumb.jpeg.435c7dd4e62471d585d5df0c2678c5f8.jpeg

Ouch!  Unfortunately that panel is now unobtainium too, as far as I've been able to ascertain.  (Mine's going a bit around the base of the screen, nowhere near that bad though.)