The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Mate Terry who helped me with the marathon rear wheel bearings on the Forester had his Focus rick up Friday night with smoke pouring from the near side front wheel bearing...... 

Yesterday was spent undoing bits, twatting other bits and then hoping bits went back on with no 'where the fuck did that come from' bits left on the floor. 

No photo's as I'm a twerp

Fitted the charged battery to the E46... I'd brought the spare keys from Belgium this week - it only fired right up.... Final prep for MoT this week. 

Everything crossed for that.... Been stored for 4yrs 

Tyre in lane 1 of the M56 eastbound at Runcorn.

Made a telephone call to the emergency services.

Left at the clifton turn off. Imagine my surprise when heading towards the mersey gateway I spy a slow moving audi A4 - slow moving beacuse it only has three tyres......

20 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Quick wire brush underneath to attack the surface on the rear suspension I saw starting last year when the new tyres went on. Coating of dinitrol. Nice and shiny now.

20230416_150611.jpg

20230416_150615.jpg

And for northern hemisphere viewers….

A62538D5-28D2-4782-9CB0-8E62AE5F1580.jpeg

D667A1DC-4BDB-4A95-AFA7-46A9BC838B38.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

New engine mounts fitted to the 145, along with the other two tyres. The existing mounts were pretty collapsed! 

The old Michelin tyres were very degraded, can anyone tell me the year they were made? 

8CF8D6FA-1F99-4B57-B777-52C675131A3D.jpeg

F44DAA96-590D-4F64-844D-56E291A782B6.jpeg

096FBEA4-69FD-4C61-80EE-35620F0235A0.jpeg

8B51191E-20FA-4717-80DD-173815B0946B.jpeg

2D4A03BB-AE4F-49BC-ACA9-EAE8F2BA7F08.jpeg

C320062E-1597-4A28-B22C-C90CED92EEB7.jpeg

077 is the date code I think. And pre 2001. Could be 1997 or 1987 I’m not sure yet.
thttps://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Yesterday as I turned into a junction my dash lit up like a Xmas tree with ABS and DTC warnings. Read the fault and it said right front wheel speed sensor supply - dead sensor so I thought so ordered one and fitted it today.

Lights all still on but the code has now changed to direction of rotation. Can’t work it out. Only fits one way both at the plug and physically in the hole. 

Don’t know if perhaps it’s a shit sensor being an Amazon prime special, or if I have another fault. I think these are a magnetic sensor rather than a physical ring like a driveshaft would have, as it’s a front sensor issue so I believe it’s built into the bearing. 

Pissed off now as im not sure what to do next.

1CEC9352-F94A-47D6-A2FC-FE4932F7CE0E.png

On 4/15/2023 at 8:17 PM, trigger said:

Also if anyone is localish and at a loose end tomorrow and fancies seeing 300+ old cars in a field then our first meet of the season is on, I think it's going to be a very busy one!

1511428657_CarShowPoster-MadewithPosterMyWall(5).thumb.jpg.a5cab60b1fee7971c500b5318e04da0e.jpg

Thanks Trigger and all concerned at ECR for putting on an excellent day out!

We made a family trip of it:

IMG_4367edit.thumb.jpg.89b7d560c534044dc0698efb58c9e215.jpg

My white one, Miss SL in the ex @BorniteIdentity Avensis and her BF in his recently acquired LS400.

This shot was early in the day, by lunchtime the field was completely filled to the very back.

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Yesterday as I turned into a junction my dash lit up like a Xmas tree with ABS and DTC warnings. Read the fault and it said right front wheel speed sensor supply - dead sensor so I thought so ordered one and fitted it today.

Lights all still on but the code has now changed to direction of rotation. Can’t work it out. Only fits one way both at the plug and physically in the hole. 

Don’t know if perhaps it’s a shit sensor being an Amazon prime special, or if I have another fault. I think these are a magnetic sensor rather than a physical ring like a driveshaft would have, as it’s a front sensor issue so I believe it’s built into the bearing. 

Pissed off now as im not sure what to do next.

1CEC9352-F94A-47D6-A2FC-FE4932F7CE0E.png

Have you used the same scan tool before and after?  Only reason I ask is because (I think) I recall you saying a friend scanned it the first time? 

Sometimes generic fault code translations are just shit and pure nonsense on cheap scanners so the same fault can read differently

If it's the same scanner and a new code has been created then it's just likely just a faulty replacement especially if it's a shitty unbranded one

I'd say to try a better branded one, such as Bosch. 

ABS sensors can't detect whether you're going backwards or forwards, only the speed of rotation, so I think it's more likely the replacement sensor has been manufactured with reverse polarity and is simply faulty, hence making the car think the reading is switched 

If your scanner allows, you could go to live data and see what reading it's giving. It will probably be a negative reading, which is complete nonsense. 

Most cheap parts like switches and sensors are simply not fit for purpose and faulty out of the box

11 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Have you used the same scan tool before and after?  Only reason I ask is because (I think) I recall you saying a friend scanned it the first time? 

Sometimes generic fault code translations are just shit and pure nonsense on cheap scanners so the same fault can read differently

If it's the same scanner and a new code has been created then it's just likely just a faulty replacement especially if it's a shitty unbranded one

I'd say to try a better branded one, such as Bosch. 

ABS sensors can't detect whether you're going backwards or forwards, only the speed of rotation, so I think it's more likely the replacement sensor has been manufactured with reverse polarity and is simply faulty, hence making the car think the reading is switched 

If your scanner allows, you could go to live data and see what reading it's giving. It will probably be a negative reading, which is complete nonsense. 

Most cheap parts like switches and sensors are simply not fit for purpose and faulty out of the box

Yeah this is with Carly which is known to be one of the better BMW specific types, it seems to have live data for everything bar bloody ABS sensors though! No one else has scanned it 

I was just looking at Bosch sensors so might just chance one, can always return it if I keep it clean and it doesn’t work. 

Slightly confusing as on RealOEM, the part number of the Amazon one if searched, says it’ll fit my car but if I search my car and then locate the part number for the sensor, it’s a different part number. The OEM ATE BMW one I removed strangely has a part number that when I search brings up everything from ABS sensors, temp sensors and all sorts. 

I think the logical step as you say is to put a known good sensor on it, I could even swap the fronts to see if the fault moves.

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Yeah this is with Carly which is known to be one of the better BMW specific types, it seems to have live data for everything bar bloody ABS sensors though! No one else has scanned it 

I was just looking at Bosch sensors so might just chance one, can always return it if I keep it clean and it doesn’t work. 

Slightly confusing as on RealOEM, the part number of the Amazon one if searched, says it’ll fit my car but if I search my car and then locate the part number for the sensor, it’s a different part number. The OEM ATE BMW one I removed strangely has a part number that when I search brings up everything from ABS sensors, temp sensors and all sorts. 

I think the logical step as you say is to put a known good sensor on it, I could even swap the fronts to see if the fault moves.

Yes swapping them around isn't a bad shout as long as the other isn't seized in and you risk destroying it :)

A sensor is a sensor, if they look identical then they are, broadly speaking. 

There may be differences in wire length, or part supersessions which don't especially matter 

14 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Yes swapping them around isn't a bad shout as long as the other isn't seized in and you risk destroying it :)

A sensor is a sensor, if they look identical then they are, broadly speaking. 

There may be differences in wire length, or part supersessions which don't especially matter 

I’ve just bitten the bullet and ordered a Bosch for £27, the Amazon special was £13 and I only ordered it so it’d be here today! Worth returning it and paying the extra for a decent brand anyway tbh.

Strange thing is the Amazon one is the part number in yellow, which is non ‘active steering’ yet if I search my car on there by vin it shows the bottom one although I definitely don’t have active steering.

God knows. I’ve ordered the Bosch sensor matching the bottom part number so we’ll see if that makes any odds. 

6FEB9B5B-A31E-4167-9278-CCED38D86571.jpeg

3 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’ve just bitten the bullet and ordered a Bosch for £27, the Amazon special was £13 and I only ordered it so it’d be here today! Worth returning it and paying the extra for a decent brand anyway tbh.

Strange thing is the Amazon one is the part number in yellow, which is non ‘active steering’ yet if I search my car on there by vin it shows the bottom one although I’m pretty sure I don’t have whatever active steering is! 

God knows. I’ve ordered the Bosch sensor matching the bottom part number so we’ll see if that makes any odds. 

6FEB9B5B-A31E-4167-9278-CCED38D86571.jpeg

Active steering alters steering angle based on vehicle speed (and of course steering wheel input) 

In other words, see what happens 😁