The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

36 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

It's beyond words the level of disdain I have for people who can't even be bothered to clean or even clear the crap out of a vehicle prior to sale. The VW Camper above is absolute epitome of someone expecting a return for zero effort and it literally says everything about that person.

I hope you shook your head as you walked away.

Honestly the bloke selling it seems to just doing things totally backwards, I don't get it.

He advertised it last week, then immediately went away for a week for easter. When we came to see it today and he said he was going to get the rust touched up and put an MOT on it this week "if it didn't need too much"

Bank holiday weekend has seen dad and I fitting new discs, pads and dampers to the MX5. Braided lines fitted on the front too - haven't dare touch the back hoses yet as there's a distribution block on the nsr that all the lines are seized into.
Droplinks are on order as all four are shot, only a tennner each, and a new clutch slave - access is easy and a new slave makes it very easy to fit a braided line. The standard clutch line involves a steel section that takes a circuitous route involving the passenger side of the bulkhead (?!), but a braided hose bypasses this and goes straight down, much improving pedal feel. That's on next week's to do list.

7 hours ago, richardmorris said:

While I’m here, so to speak. I have a new pair of door strap hinges to fit as the old ones have both snapped an arm. I need a tool to compress the prongs together in order to fit into the clips on the door. Any ideas? Is there any sort of rubber pronged locking pliers about?

4354742A-D37E-4E76-BB1A-AD113A047106.jpeg

Why locking? How did they do it at factory? If waterpump grips too thick, maybe angled pliers if a thin nose pair doesn't work?

Another 500-mile round trip to Somerset and back completed without incident in the 75.  Traffic was shite on the way down (on Good Friday) but there were a few interesting cars out and about, and I got a nod of appreciation from a chap in a CX estate whilst waiting to turn onto the A420.  Bugger all on the way home other than a Commer PB camper going the other way in the roadworks on the A11.  Definitely glad I chose to take the Rover rather than the 107 - being auto it's a lot easier in traffic, and it's also a lot better in crosswinds, of which there were a fair few on the return trip.

Started tidying my garage this weekend. It was a right tip from many months of stripping the parts Dolomite down, fixing the TT and sorting the P4. At the end of a fixing session I'd dump parts and fluids inside then shut up for the night.
727dfa94b6b7827133e40359873e222f.jpg

Even managed to make an oil slick from an old oil filter I managed to knock over at some indeterminate time. A right awkward mess to sort.
5b2f692de325bb766a8106fa6d5d29f1.jpg

Most people would be done in a few hours. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people. So I end up either spending an hour being distracted trying to fix my retractable air hose reel (which I found it's designed not to be fixed) and countless tens of minutes holding one piece of metal trying to decide where it should live (probably really should be in the bin)

Anyway the floor now has room that I can work again. Next I need to clear off everything stacked on the car and tidy up the scrap under the car. Then I can finally start working back on the Midget. I really want to get back on it and done this year for sometime in the summer.
8b0dc6da8e118bfbc73ccd93680acfa6.jpg
4e58bb464668457f2b9e0b183337fe3e.jpg

6 hours ago, cobblers said:

Just been to look at a van with my mate - he wants a camper and I can't let him buy owt without having a look over it first.

we went to look at a 145k mile, 2011 VW T5. 

image.thumb.png.2926d7c7f7e5da0b593e4f44f0a148fa.png

Lotsamoney for an old van, but it looked OK in pictures.

In person it was the most filthy disgusting thing, it absolutely hummed of dogs, covered with dog hair. The bed in the back had dog grime ground into them, the bloke had a saucepan of soapy water and an old sock and was scrubbing the floor when we got there, but the van was parked on a slope and all the water was just running into the cupboards. WTF?

There were knobs missing, cupboard doors hanging off, all 4 wheels were kerbed to absolute fuck, there was rust all over it,  a scrape all down the passenger side and the roof canvas was mouldy and torn. 11 days MOT!

Filthy outside as well, moss all over the roof. just fucking minging. He'd got it parked on his drive which absolutely stank of dog piss as well.

TWENTY GRAND!!!! AND THERE WAS A HUMAN PUBE IN THE FUCKING FRIDGE

I'm no prude, but this thing was just fucking disgusting, genuinely seemed like he had been using it as a dog kennel. Surely for 20 grand you'd spend £45 and send it through the polish car wash first? We only drove an hour to see it, but it was an afternoon wasted.  I just can't fathom how anyone would think that was an acceptable way to market something like this.

I've told him to just buy a panel van and I'll help him convert it.

At least it was a HUMAN pube. 

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Why locking? How did they do it at factory? If waterpump grips too thick, maybe angled pliers if a thin nose pair doesn't work?

Only locking as I only have one pair of hands, I presume the factory had a clamp, or just a burly Italian.

I have mole grips. Somewhere.

13 hours ago, cobblers said:

Honestly the bloke selling it seems to just doing things totally backwards, I don't get it.

He advertised it last week, then immediately went away for a week for easter. When we came to see it today and he said he was going to get the rust touched up and put an MOT on it this week "if it didn't need too much"

I guess taking the attitude that if it sells to someone who's happy to pay the money without him having to clean and fix it up, that's the best outcome.

Otherwise, he can fix it up and MOT it while the ad is up. But he has given it the chance to sell without going to that cost/effort

Trip to the scrappies yielded not too much unfortunately. Some old shite kicking about though.

20230411_110253.thumb.jpg.41b25bf79d7f3959b612c51074f02135.jpg

20230411_110038.thumb.jpg.39bfc036163f7e84d2254c01cb63dc30.jpg

^^ That purple car above the MG is a Hyundai Accent.

20230411_102915.thumb.jpg.7251c3f04424f357a573226d8e39199c.jpg

20230411_102819.thumb.jpg.cbd121da80361486830abe9910ab4587.jpg

^ Hoped I could get the wings off this ST170. Instead it's just as rotten as my Ghia.

20230411_102200.thumb.jpg.c607905302d16f95fd0da1c3baf62ac5.jpg

P12 Primera. Still a bit shocking to the eye, but hadn't seen one for some time now.

Both yards are pretty old school, no H&S beyond "dinnae be a fuckwit" and cheap spares.

58 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Trip to the scrappies yielded not too much unfortunately. Some old shite kicking about though.

20230411_110253.thumb.jpg.41b25bf79d7f3959b612c51074f02135.jpg

20230411_110038.thumb.jpg.39bfc036163f7e84d2254c01cb63dc30.jpg

^^ That purple car above the MG is a Hyundai Accent.

20230411_102915.thumb.jpg.7251c3f04424f357a573226d8e39199c.jpg

20230411_102819.thumb.jpg.cbd121da80361486830abe9910ab4587.jpg

^ Hoped I could get the wings off this ST170. Instead it's just as rotten as my Ghia.

20230411_102200.thumb.jpg.c607905302d16f95fd0da1c3baf62ac5.jpg

P12 Primera. Still a bit shocking to the eye, but hadn't seen one for some time now.

Both yards are pretty old school, no H&S beyond "dinnae be a fuckwit" and cheap spares.

Furryboots was the 940? I could do with a pair of front wings if they didn't look too mangled...

The C Class went in for a new OSF spring this morning. 11th hour - 14day retest was due tomorrow, as due to the easter break, my local garage couldn't fit it in before today. 

Needed a drop link too, as the fixings were seized solid.  Fair play to them, they said they could have battled with it, but the labour cost to do that outweighed the cost of the new part and 5 mins with an airsaw. 

Repairs, including parts, came in at just over £250.00

As Merc springs are the stuff of nightmares, I was happy to pass the job on to someone else. 

Tame MOT centre were not to busy, so hightailed it down for a retest. Apart from an advisory for a loose heatshield - we're clear for another year.

3 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I scored a set of tyres for the 140 and managed to fit a couple over the weekend. All done with soap, a hammer and tyre levers. 

The whole experience knackered me right out so the rear tyres will have to be fitted on another day. 

D760C636-632E-43DC-B25C-9F7EC082AC99.jpeg

I'm glad I left the fitting of the 164 tyres to the local pros - for the sake of 20 quid it didn't seem worth the hassle of attempting it myself.

What size are those?  They look narrower than the ones on the 164.

6 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I guess taking the attitude that if it sells to someone who's happy to pay the money without him having to clean and fix it up, that's the best outcome.

Otherwise, he can fix it up and MOT it while the ad is up. But he has given it the chance to sell without going to that cost/effort

I wouldn't sell something filthy with a short test, but if I had to the price would be getting a downward adjustment. Otherwise it's expecting the buyer to pay you for the privilege of getting the vehicle straight. Plus, that kind of idiot is probably selling the van with dangerous faults, which is why they "don't have time" ,i e., an hour, to take it for a new test. 

38 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm glad I left the fitting of the 164 tyres to the local pros - for the sake of 20 quid it didn't seem worth the hassle of attempting it myself.

What size are those?  They look narrower than the ones on the 164.

165/80/15. 

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

I wouldn't sell something filthy with a short test, but if I had to the price would be getting a downward adjustment. Otherwise it's expecting the buyer to pay you for the privilege of getting the vehicle straight. Plus, that kind of idiot is probably selling the van with dangerous faults, which is why they "don't have time" ,i e., an hour, to take it for a new test. 

Curiousity got the better of me and I thought I'd check the MOT history...apparently the reg number in the photo doesn't exist...

My old fiesta refused to start outside work last night, just a click ,so guessed starter was goosed, autoaid arrived within 40 minutes and no amount of whacking would revive it so I had my first ever push start in 30 yrs of driving ! 

Ordered a new starter from "carparts4less" at 8 pm last night and it was delivered to work at 10:00 am this morning !  Just got to find a spare hour to fit it so will be a bus wanker until then