The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 minutes ago, SiC said:

I have to say, if I needed a socket to undo a disc, there was greater problems I'd be having. You don't want to overtighten them either as it'll crush and damage the disc. 

its not the grip on the disk,  its the pain and comfort in my hands #osteoarthritis&fybromyalgia sucks..

We have the 'trenching monkeys' lifting our pavement for new fibre laying [can't use our front door!!] >>> so, lying in bed 8AM [ground floor flat/front bedroom...] I'm disturbed to smell G.A.S. 😱

.... I open the front door, peering into a deep hole, and a cheery Euro sourced contractor beams back " Ahh.. GAS?.. (nodding) I phoned - they come soon (Big Smile)" FFS 🙄

I cheerily joked back "You... No Smoking, eh?"

Equally cheery response "No No you no smoke! Can I have yours?" (much chuckling by mates, further up trench)

I'm going out!!!! 🤬

*Update = gas board has ordered us out of the house 😮

IMG_20230323_125028.jpg

*update. Back in flat now... Meter cutoff... Muchho cutting and trimming to gas main (in big hole outside my door!) and - in a few hours 🙄 - the gas men will want back in my flat to reconnect my meter. FFS

**L8 update... Gas ON 6pm 🥳👌

If I find out who the work is being done for I will be sending a hot Email.... 🤬🤬

23 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This has just appeared in our local Saturday auction which starts at 11AM. Raleigh Runabout I believe. I want it but no idea why. I can’t. Reg is DPW 15C.

1D42BC11-5D35-499B-BB48-37CC4F132A89.jpeg

Looks like a much rarer RM9 Ultramatic.  Missing the front covers but got the much rarer rear chain cover. GIB

37 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

None of them are worth a great deal even when immaculate (1k or so) so if you can get it for 2-300 you’ll be alright. They are great fun*
is the engine seized? Is the frame rotten at the bottom of the down tube (it looks solid in the photo) etc.etc?

I have no need for it just wondered if it went for £50 or something (likely as it’s just my local town market auction) would it be worth a flip on eBay. Trouble is getting it home as well. I didn’t look in any great depth at condition.

More progress on the Lanchester today.  I did pay for it in some injuries though, jabbed myself in the hand with some sharp aluminium and managed to fumble a wheel and smash my fingers between it and the brake drum which was exactly the sort of pain where you don't use any swears, you just walk around until it stops hurting.  Getting a nice black fingernail developing from that one too.

Anyway, what I was doing was turning the aluminium boot liner from the scrap boot lid into splash guards since it was easier than repairing the steel originals.  Rubber sheet to isolate the aluminium from the steel inner arch as much as possible as well as serving as a weather seal for the fuel filler neck (not cut the hole yet, will do that when the tank goes back in so it's in the right place).  Had some u-channel rubber bought for another project that it was unsuitable for which turned out to be perfect for the edge of these splash guards to hopefully make a better seal/noise reducer between the guard and the outer wing.  Tabs left long on the bottom so I can bend and trim to suit the outer arches when they go back on.

MVI_2738_Moment.thumb.jpg.2156299f445587bfb686502e834f8dba.jpg

MVI_2738_Moment2.thumb.jpg.7baef451809f57a364912ac4c5beddc3.jpg

MVI_2738_Moment3.thumb.jpg.b7c8748e96157adcdd472662df6b5f60.jpg

Was actually quite a nice job to do, low stress stuff and another item ticked off.  Also felt nice to be able to use bits of another Lanchester to fix this one.  Did try the JB Weld Quickwood epoxy putty and hated every minute of using it so I'll be looking for an alternative to that.  Just not a nice product to use at all.

Thought I might go to the NEC tomorrow, Saab was selected for the trip. Except today the exhaust mount snapped, so the exhaust is almost dragging on the floor…. So fine for short trips but not a 220 mile round trip. XC90 has developed a binding rear brake, so that’s out for the long trip too. Bonk is borked. 

So that leaves the MG which hasn’t driven  even  5 miles since November, and the 2CV… 

Wondering if it’s worth the hassle… 

So spent a couple hours doing a full service on my 1.4 MK8 Civic, all the filters etc. It has the iDSI engine with EIGHT…yes eight spark plugs. They were £17 each as I opted for NGK. Fuck me the rear ones were a nightmare to get out as access is limited and you have to work blind for the first two. All done, and correct 0w30 oil and even treated it to Ceratec. The old plugs were Bosch which I’m not a fan of but it does look like they were all done together before and they weren’t too bad at all, so that was good to see. It’s not fast but it’s a smooth engine. My arm is now marked to fuck.

54FF247B-FAB2-471F-8D62-17DAC774BB2A.jpeg

4C795B33-E57A-464E-B633-3DDDB392E799.jpeg

22 hours ago, SiC said:

I usually grab the disc to tighten/loosen it. Even long nose pliers work. I can never find the bloody tool! 

I'm feared of grabbing the disc, my son does that, and can also bang a flap disc on the floor.

I use the correct tool, but only 1 peg. Always have a tool on the bench, drill stand and floor (somewhere).

Thought I'd open the BMW 330 key to look at battert swap or check for dry joints perhaps.... 

IMG_20230325_142419.thumb.jpg.7173042cdafde568a0fcb43716a8d895.jpg

Came apart no bother really.... 

IMG_20230325_142425.thumb.jpg.ff8850720ec59bcb33d61f10844fce73.jpg

Ah that'll be it then...... 

IMG_20230325_142440.thumb.jpg.833a43dfb56c1a1bf9b0311a07d86941.jpg

It should be there..... 

Just solder that back in then... Soldering kit is...... Ah bollox. 

I'll fix it once I find the kit..... Bu66er 

Testing my new SGS roll cab with an 8.7kg dynamic test load.

771303333_2023-03-2515_18_04.thumb.jpg.af9ba7db8cf429c27a7e523407e77214.jpg

Failed the test, wheels fell off, frame buckled.

But in all seriousness don't buy one of these SGS stainless roll cabs to use in anger, they're chinesium rubbish. OK to use as a set of office drawers but not much more. Wasn't expecting it to be much good (cheaper than equivalent sized office drawers) and it has left me thoroughly underwhelmed.  

31 minutes ago, cobblers said:

But in all seriousness don't buy one of these SGS stainless roll cabs to use in anger, they're chinesium rubbish.

I've found the SGS trolley jacks to be no better, having to constantly purge the air out the system and top up with hydraulic oil becomes a bit boring every time I use it.

Couriering Caddy was due an oil service as it clicked over 270k yesterday, gets done every 10k. I usually get the mechanic to do it as there is normally something else failing, falling off, making strange noises or knackered. But not this time, it feels strange, I'm not going to say owt as its tempting fate, but I decided to do the service myself. Nice and easy to do on these PD engines, everythings easy to get at.

It is only the second time I've serviced it, mechanics done all the others, it felt some much smoother and quieter each time I did the service, I'm sure its just in my mind and I supply the service parts to the mechanic due to bulk purchases, so the same parts/oil are used. Strange, maybe its my tinnitus kicking in due to being under the van 😄.

4 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

Couriering Caddy was due an oil service as it clicked over 270k yesterday, gets done every 10k. I usually get the mechanic to do it as there is normally something else failing, falling off, making strange noises or knackered. But not this time, it feels strange, I'm not going to say owt as its tempting fate, but I decided to do the service myself. Nice and easy to do on these PD engines, everythings easy to get at.

It is only the second time I've serviced it, mechanics done all the others, it felt some much smoother and quieter each time I did the service, I'm sure its just in my mind and I supply the service parts to the mechanic due to bulk purchases, so the same parts/oil are used. Strange, maybe its my tinnitus kicking in due to being under the van 😄.

Your mind will be happier knowing everything has been done, and done properly. Somewhere subconsciously there will be a nagging doubt when it comes back from a garage about what has been done. The van isnt quieter, its the back of your mind that isnt making all the noise 😂