The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 hours ago, MrGTI6 said:

Took the Megane 225 for a service today including a new timing belt and water pump. The old (Dayco) belt was 10 years old but still looked like it had plenty of life left in it! Glad it's done though for peace of mind. 

To celebrate, I took the scenic (pun intended) route back from the garage. What a car! Ferocious grip and properly beefy brakes. I'm convinced this thing must have been chipped/mapped. I can't find anything in the paperwork to suggest that it has, but it goes like fuck! 

I'm loving this car!!!

They drive so well. I bet that anyone who buys a Golf GTI or Golf R brand new hasn't driven a RenaultSport Megane. They're just so much better

This thing is being a git now.

20220909_170539.thumb.jpg.4d39d0719cb3aeaebe2839097a64e4bc.jpg

Heater blower packed up last week, all fixed now and yesterday the ABS and traction Control light came on. Normally it goes away next time the car is started but its on permanently now. Going to find someone with Tech 2 who can tell me which wheel sensor it is, as I think that's where the problem is.

After getting it welded and me replacing the heater blower, it's giving me the impression it doesn't want to car anymore!

6 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Heater blower packed up last week, all fixed now and yesterday the ABS and traction Control light came on. Normally it goes away next time the car is started but its on permanently now. Going to find someone with Tech 2 who can tell me which wheel sensor it is, as I think that's where the problem is.

After getting it welded and me replacing the heater blower, it's giving me the impression it doesn't want to car anymore!

Any decent scan tool will tell you which sensor it is, you don't need tech2, a deplhi clone, foxwell etc will do the job :)

4 hours ago, w00dy said:

Hired this from Hertz for my move that's now not happening until at least Monday.

69k miles of courier use apparently. Seems to have held up well mechanically (not so muc cosmetically) and I do like the amount of spec modern vans have. MWB apparently, but it feels very long.

IMG_20230317_175954.thumb.jpg.67aa7ed37a29ec7804bfb7cc5ee333ba.jpg

They've got quite a long wheelbase for the length of the van, which makes em feel bigger than they are

58 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Same thing happened to mine last month, was the ABS sensor. Helpfully you can't just replace the sensor, it's all part of the hub assembly. Pain in the arse! 

Just been round to my sister's '08 Nissan Note. EML was on, code showed No. 4 cylinder misfire so have erased that, see if it returns. Airbag light is flashing though, and think something more technical than my cheepie reader to sort. Can it be underseat connectors on these like the R75s?

13 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Just been round to my sister's '08 Nissan Note. EML was on, code showed No. 4 cylinder misfire so have erased that, see if it returns. Airbag light is flashing though, and think something more technical than my cheepie reader to sort. Can it be underseat connectors on these like the R75s?

Seat connectors would be the easiest thing to try but clock springs are equally common on Nissan's of that era so needs a code scan if fiddling with the seat connectors doesn't sort it

Misfire will probably be a duff coil and will be back within 3 drive cycles, mark my words 😉

New brake hoses on ‘the old bus’ as it’s know today. It’s 30 years old in a few weeks, and the hoses weren’t looking too great. I dropped a caliper and a hose caught it last year, which damaged one. Having been laid up over winter I thought I should do them, and have got a weekend without distraction. The boss has gone skiing for a week, and due to work commitments I couldn’t make it. I’d been putting this job off for a while as usually for me brake hose replacements end in tears (and snapped hard line).

Weirdly there’s six hoses on these. The rear have two each. Unless it’s a late car then it has one long hose. Anywho:

Up on stands at the rear and a quick look over the undercarriage. I’m still very pleased with how rot-free this car is. Garaged and not been a daily driver all it’s life. This jacking point is the nearside rear. Usually they get grotty easily now due to salt and rubbish in the gutter.
A9612729-084B-47B9-8373-5F4FDCB67BF0.jpe
Trailing arm pockets are good too, which cause issues on these cars (and E46s).
8C1CB526-D143-4D9A-973F-E961B7BEEA59.jpe

Rear short line done, usually these can be a real pig but everything came apart brilliantly.
1E248904-5736-492D-A52C-4F8CACADCE8F.jpe
… And the line to the caliper from a funny S-piece of hard line.
6D09311A-359B-45F3-9B38-D09BF696BD40.jpe

Bled up with a cheap pressure bleeder from eBay. I have an Eezibleed but messing around with a spare tyre can be a pain. Pumping this up is nice and easy, and means I can do this job without a helper. 
8E817F9C-C510-4D0F-A28E-B91FB9DA6179.jpe

Being in such a good mood as the job had gone so easily, I also remembered I have a steam cleaner. So I cleaned the rear Inner arches. The steam loosened the dirt nice and easily without putting any muddy water on the garage floor. I’m sure a few pounds of Berkshire has been liberated from the arches. Unsurprisingly what was left in my bucket can only be described as…

Before
30D5F2E7-4C99-49EA-A142-73B5B842B804.jpe

After
B3536DDD-448E-4D45-92FF-8241D3183628.jpe

Then I had lunch. And did the fronts. But I forgot to take any pictures. The fronts were easy though, and bled up nicely too.

Finally, the test drive. We’ve had some good rains this week, which have taken the salt off of the roads. They also dried up nicely in time for a drive. Didn’t roll into anything, so good news. :)

Pedal feels less  ‘wooden’ now, too which is nice. Next job will be fuel hoses, but they looked in a better state than the brake hoses.

Final pic, to prove I did drive it, and didn’t restyle the front bodywork.

FC77C1AA-3E7E-47E6-AC42-CF179202A759.jpe

C2 has been booked in to have its two 2006 dated original spec Michelin tyres changed on Monday morning. Have ordered Uniroyal Rainexperts for it at a reasonable £55 fitted each from a local tyre place. Just need to make sure the spare wheel cradle underneath can be got at. The other 3 tyre have good tread and are dated 2021 but are a ‘Iris’ brand, which I’ve not heard of, but they seem to be holding the road well in the wet & greasy roads round here.

In a bit of a grump the ex-Beep Kia has started dropping oil, so I’ll be putting that up on ramps after the C2 has had its tyres changed and having a look.

Still got the original michelins from 2005 on the back of my picasso. Easily about 6mm of tread, but they've held up well in terms of dry rot although it was garaged out of the sun for most of its life. Thinking I might bite the bullet and treat it to a set of 4 especially to replace the dubious "Chengshan Sport Cat" offerings on the front 🤨 - if it's upcoming MOT is otherwise plain sailing which I'm hoping it should be

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

2006?  Pah!  The rear tyres on my Volvo were made in April 1990 and they're still going strong.

(Now watch me have a blowout next time I go out in the car...)

Oh playing a tyre age game are we? I think @brummiejon can get most of us beat LOL

On 08/02/2023 at 21:20, brummiejon said:

I had a bit of a mishap on Flo’ at the weekend…. I knew that the 70 year old tyres weren’t going to go far… My word, the explosion scared all the seagulls in Whitstable…. By Tuesday, I’d sourced, had delivered and fitted two new tyres and inner tubes…. Totally transformed the ride….. The front tyre is next but it’s a rarer size….

3FB0B98F-9173-4FD6-9DC2-C124AE85E76F.jpeg

by the wording of "front tyre is next" that implies the front tyre is still whatever was fitted to the Argson when it was laid up gawd knows how many years ago :) (easily 50+ years ago)

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Had another chat with my wife yesterday and I'm now officially on the lookout for a MK1 Bini, Audi A3 or something along those lines. My budget is around £2k but can move a bit for the right car.

I was thinking about your misfire the other day. Are you running on super and been running on it for a few tankfuls?

I'm wondering if yours has been remapped in the passed. If so, they really need super otherwise they'll play up. Also would explain if it feels a bit too quick as the map might have fiddled with the throttle pedal responsiveness map. 

10 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Still got the original michelins from 2005 on the back of my picasso. Easily about 6mm of tread, but they've held up well in terms of dry rot although it was garaged out of the sun for most of its life. Thinking I might bite the bullet and treat it to a set of 4 especially to replace the dubious "Chengshan Sport Cat" offerings on the front 🤨 - if it's upcoming MOT is otherwise plain sailing which I'm hoping it should be

How about Swap then round so the budgets are on the back for the more exciting Scandinavian flick on exiting roundabouts when pressing on a bit / spirited driving? 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I was thinking about your misfire the other day. Are you running on super and been running on it for a few tankfuls?

I'm wondering if yours has been remapped in the passed. If so, they really need super otherwise they'll play up. Also would explain if it feels a bit too quick as the map might have fiddled with the throttle pedal responsiveness map. 

Yeah always been run on super. More than likely been tickled in its 12 owners too! It feels fine to me though.

Just spoke to one of my neighbours about why I had not seen her Mini One on the drive that she bought three weeks ago. It drove perfectly for two weeks, then no heat in the cabin. 3 and a half litres of coolant to get it up to max level on expansion bottle and and while topping it up with engine running, it sounded like a boiling kettle.
Was so tempted to tell her that two weeks of trouble-free motoring seemed good for a Bini, but I stood and empathised with her about the bad luck with the new (to her) car.