The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Passport chaos

Check your passport folks - and fast track a replacement if needed before this strike starts as it sounds absolute chaos unless strike is called off - unless you can afford a wait. Its bad enough normally.

Remember for the EU passport must be issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the 'date of issue') and be valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the 'expiry date') - check the .gov website for full details.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64981979

We are going away in May. About a week after the 10 week estimated time, before the strike. So I paid another £60 for a passport interview. Went to Newport, 5 mins interview, she looked at my application and photos, took my old passport and that was it. New passport arrived less than a week later. In my opinion well worth the money to save you from the stress. Will do again with my son.

I had a chat with my wife yesterday afternoon as I could tell over the last week that she isn't entirely comfortable with the TT. She didn't want to tell me as she felt bad as I had gone to a lot of trouble to get it but the truth is that its an excuse to buy another car. As such she was surprised by my rather cheery response.

She didn't like my Clio 172 as it was too fast and raucous and whilst the TT is a lot more refined, she doesn't like that it constantly wants to headbutt the horizon. Basically it's a bit mental for her. It is really fast. The Clio wasn't an issue as it was my driver but the TT is her daily so I want to get her something she's comfortable in. 

The easy part is that I want to find her a MK1 non S Bini as I think it will be perfect.

The hard but also fun part is what to sell. The 75 and Cav are out because it took me 3 examples before I found these and I've really taken a notion for the Saab again. Equally though, I've only had the TT 5 minutes and would like to own it for a while longer.

57 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I had a chat with my wife yesterday afternoon as I could tell over the last week that she isn't entirely comfortable with the TT. She didn't want to tell me as she felt bad as I had gone to a lot of trouble to get it but the truth is that its an excuse to buy another car. As such she was surprised by my rather cheery response.

She didn't like my Clio 172 as it was too fast and raucous and whilst the TT is a lot more refined, she doesn't like that it constantly wants to headbutt the horizon. Basically it's a bit mental for her. It is really fast. The Clio wasn't an issue as it was my driver but the TT is her daily so I want to get her something she's comfortable in. 

The easy part is that I want to find her a MK1 non S Bini as I think it will be perfect.

The hard but also fun part is what to sell. The 75 and Cav are out because it took me 3 examples before I found these and I've really taken a notion for the Saab again. Equally though, I've only had the TT 5 minutes and would like to own it for a while longer.

CASH WAITING M7

I have driven it a lot today (Bluebird) and it feels like it’s stretched it’s legs so to speak. Engine is healthy, gearbox lovely and snicky and to top it off it’s nice and warm again. Full cooling system renewed and it’s great to enjoy it. 

here’s a picture of it dismantled during its long stay away

A2661F4E-B723-4F7F-96BE-BCD369F062FB.jpeg

Glad you got it back. It's like having a new car again eh?

I have to say, I'm done with giving my cars to garages for jobs like this, they seem to have some actual physical inability to muster the words  "That job is too much ramp time and not worth our while" (which I would understand completely).

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Glad you got it back. It's like having a new car again eh?

I have to say, I'm done with giving my cars to garages for jobs like this, they seem to have some actual physical inability to muster the words  "That job is too much ramp time and not worth our while" (which I would understand completely).

That’s the best way of describing it. I got it late December and drove it a couple times and totally forgot how it felt.

my garage are ace, great bunch of lads that don’t shy away from a challenge and are more than happy for you to come and have a look etc. rarity these days. A bluebird with a working heater is rare I’d imagine, always seen them not working or bypassed. 

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

constantly wants to headbutt the horizon

Put 95 octane into it? It'll retard the timing and cut back on the power. 

Or get a 180.

Or tell her not to jab the go pedal quite so hard all the time! 

Just now, SiC said:

Put 95 octane into it? It'll retard the timing and cut back on the power. 

Or get a 180!

It's already cutting itself back under hard acceleration which I need to identify the cause of. The way my wife drives it though she's never noticed that 😅

Although the Saab was about 220bhp it was progressive and wafts so you could drive it however you wanted. Too big for her works car park now they've crammed in a lot more spaces though. 

I think a 180 would still be pretty fast and much the same if I'm honest.

She loved her Bini but it was a Prince engined pos so I'm looking for a MK1 for her, non-S!

FAO Sussex/Kent shiters - the Pevensey Bay 'Vehicles of Yesteryear' is on April 1st (no, not a joke) 10am - 3pm. It's quite a small affair, I think 50-100 entries, but very friendly. It would be good to meet up with any from here who pop down.

27 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

FAO Sussex/Kent shiters - the Pevensey Bay 'Vehicles of Yesteryear' is on April 1st (no, not a joke) 10am - 3pm. It's quite a small affair, I think 50-100 entries, but very friendly. It would be good to meet up with any from here who pop down.

Excellent, I’ve just insured the Saxo of Sadness and looking for a decent but fairly short trip for it… in preparation for it doing Lejog in May

should lower the tone nicely

39 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I want to get out in some of my cars this year, so I’ll try and head over in the Lada or something if I’m about.

Is there a secret handshake for recognising other shiters when out in public?

3 hours ago, DoverShark said:

Excellent, I’ve just insured the Saxo of Sadness and looking for a decent but fairly short trip for it… in preparation for it doing Lejog in May

should lower the tone nicely

Entries are closed, so it's a fight for on-street parking for visitors. Annoyingly, the display is held on the car park.

3 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I want to get out in some of my cars this year, so I’ll try and head over in the Lada or something if I’m about.

Is there a secret handshake for recognising other shiters when out in public?

Rock up in a Lada, crash the display, I dare you! 🤣

Took the Megane 225 for a service today including a new timing belt and water pump. The old (Dayco) belt was 10 years old but still looked like it had plenty of life left in it! Glad it's done though for peace of mind. 

To celebrate, I took the scenic (pun intended) route back from the garage. What a car! Ferocious grip and properly beefy brakes. I'm convinced this thing must have been chipped/mapped. I can't find anything in the paperwork to suggest that it has, but it goes like fuck! 

I'm loving this car!!!