The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

found when browsing an old practical classics off eBay.  @danthecapriman ??

20230315_145309.thumb.jpg.66d37cdf30693207dd3eec343f204754.jpg

Fame/infamy!!

How long ago was that!? I think it was from their old forum. 
Im still not a fan of Rovers from that era! I spent my years as a mechanic working on them when they were much newer and couldn’t stand them. Specifically anything K-series! The amount of head gasket replacement jobs we had! Then flushing milky oil out of everything.

17 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Fame/infamy!!

Im still not a fan of Rovers from that era! I spent my years as a mechanic working on them when they were much newer and couldn’t stand them. Specifically anything K-series! The amount of head gasket replacement jobs we had! Then flushing milky oil out of everything.

No K series in the 600. 

On 3/13/2023 at 4:05 PM, GingerNuttz said:

Aye it's Gary's car, he needed a corner welded for an MOT but he's wanting it restored in the future.

Someone had made a total arse of the back corner 

1678718835457.thumb.JPEG.609f42b1a2f8c9ef46ab65997ff533ce.JPEG1678718844723.thumb.JPEG.b8a05c2361b724bca937835650ea0f25.JPEG1678718840025.thumb.JPEG.db0fc8a62dcbcf89e810520a1b3f8a05.JPEG 

Tacked on arch panels and patches over holes, first pic is the arch where it meets the bottom of the quarter panel, they couldn't even be arsed finishing the weld 😑 

Oh aye and the sheet metal tek screws just slammed through the panel.

He should have it back at 5pm tonight 

Nearly done I said, have it back at 5pm I said, I need to give myself a slap.

image.thumb.png.0cff65face8f819e177018c7dd03cb44.png

image.thumb.png.f5328153038e9ef31abdeafb5918448e.png

image.thumb.png.941c0945d3f649fa2ad40fdd07b2a910.png

image.thumb.png.5394e9b6eab1bd9a70b83de9a5692880.png

image.thumb.png.9264eca04d11aa3483e196dbb43c2fa8.png

Held together with hopes and dreams topped off with a ton of filler.

12 hour days since Monday to crank it out and this whole side is done but I'm burnt to shit and tired, look like I've been shooting up 😂

40 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Fame/infamy!!

April 2007 . for what its worth I really liked my emergency 623GSI auto I bought when I broke my wrist 5 or so years ago

25 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

Nearly done I said, have it back at 5pm I said, I need to give myself a slap.

image.thumb.png.0cff65face8f819e177018c7dd03cb44.png

image.thumb.png.f5328153038e9ef31abdeafb5918448e.png

image.thumb.png.941c0945d3f649fa2ad40fdd07b2a910.png

image.thumb.png.5394e9b6eab1bd9a70b83de9a5692880.png

image.thumb.png.9264eca04d11aa3483e196dbb43c2fa8.png

Held together with hopes and dreams topped off with a ton of filler.

12 hour days since Monday to crank it out and this whole side is done but I'm burnt to shit and tired, look like I've been shooting up 😂

Are those self tappers structural?

The rain started pushing in so had to do everything sat where I was inside the car, contorted to fuck. I used a mirror and a torch to see where the screws at the back were in the end, worked OK!

20230315_165635.thumb.jpg.274ef6688cdbd44f8c98f19294748526.jpg

Done before tea.

I also got 2 new Falkens fitted to the back of the TT.  The fitter asked if it was a 225 and really liked it, saying how tidy it looked which was great.

1 hour ago, Lacquer Peel said:

No K series in the 600. 

What was the one called in the 600? Weren’t they Honda engines or the bigger Rover engines that had similar looking rocker covers to the kettle series?

My mate had a 600 diesel which was (I think?) a BMW diesel engine. That was a good car!

Most of the work I did on that era Rover was 200 and 400 with the kettle series. Although to be fair I think most of that was caused by crap parts and poor ownership/maintenance. The problems seem less common nowadays. I remember we did get a bulletin from head office once saying ‘due to excessive warranty repairs from the company completing head gasket repairs, company policy is now to replace the head and cam carrier with new genuine parts only!’ I don’t think it lasted long though!

THE BLUEBIRD IS FINALLY READY

it went in my trusted garage near the end of December last year and owing to delays sourcing stuff etc, it’s finally done. It hasn’t even been driven yet in 2023.

Heater matrix that was given was correct but had the adjusting rod the opposite way on, and we couldn’t do anything about it. We agreed on having it have a constant flow of heat so it’ll always blow hot air, at various speeds but only hot which is a compromise I can live with. I have heat! So it now has a new heater matrix, new radiator and new thermostat and fresh coolant. The final bill isn’t too disgusting either. 

celebratory picture to follow tomorrow when it returns. 

19 minutes ago, artdjones said:

No, it was the Rover L Series, based on the original Perkins Prima. You're right about it being a good car, though.

It was! Never ever put a foot wrong that car. Got used every day for years and years and just kept on going. Never wanted for anything other than servicing really. No idea what happened to it but it had hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock when he sold it. It was a lovely dark grey metallic colour with lovely soft (velour?) seats. He used to wash it regularly too so it didn’t even rust!

The best K series car I remember working on was a special edition Metro (GTA?) with a 1.4 K series in it. Did the HGF and took it out to road test… man that thing flew!

29 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

It was! Never ever put a foot wrong that car. Got used every day for years and years and just kept on going. Never wanted for anything other than servicing really. No idea what happened to it but it had hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock when he sold it. It was a lovely dark grey metallic colour with lovely soft (velour?) seats. He used to wash it regularly too so it didn’t even rust!

The best K series car I remember working on was a special edition Metro (GTA?) with a 1.4 K series in it. Did the HGF and took it out to road test… man that thing flew!

Yes I did 50k miles in my 620SDi. It did blow 2 turbo hoses (same one each time), but great seats.

missus stuboy is moaning that she has too put more diesel than she does in here car... 1.6 seat leon tdi  1280kg 74 mpg vs a 1.9 tdi ford galaxy 1666kg 45 mpg .. not my fault she lent her dad her car whilst his discovery gets fixed..

10 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Tonight I have been watching a youtube channel "Itchy Boots" about a Dutch lady traveling through Morocco on a Motorcycle. Sometimes she lets her video camera show us the road ahead, I nearly fell off my chair when a Citroen ami electric came into view, I wasn't expecting that!

Morocco 01 broad.jpg

I have been watching her since the beginning. She's got some balls. I have been noticing the chod that appears in her videos too. The south America season had some delightful* cars and bikes.

4 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I have been watching her since the beginning. She's got some balls. I have been noticing the chod that appears in her videos too. The south America season had some delightful* cars and bikes.

I started watching the full last series to Alaska. I totally agree when she was in South/Central America just the road scenes in towns were great.

5 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Model T? Alfa? Pug?

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

We need a pez station shot when you pick it up.

342275.jpg

Neither of you are too far wrong, however it's a big Cadillac! Plan is (once a few other projects are out the way) to get it running and driving, get it road registered and then race it with the VSCC Edwardian section! Won't quite keep up with the big Darracq and the Fiat S76, but 50hp in just over a tonne ought to be more than sufficient to be exciting for that level of roadholding and brakes ...

660495323_Screenshot_20230316-0105392.thumb.png.423e93e839eb1b66a468db8872c371fb.png

11 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Tonight I have been watching a youtube channel "Itchy Boots" about a Dutch lady traveling through Morocco on a Motorcycle. Sometimes she lets her video camera show us the road ahead, I nearly fell off my chair when a Citroen ami electric came into view, I wasn't expecting that!

Morocco 01 broad.jpg

Morocco really isn't as backwards as most might think although driving an electric car there definitely is a choice. The street scenes outside of the bigger cities are much more interesting though.

IMG_20221012_181748.jpg

IMG_20221012_103624.jpg

IMG_20221012_090739.jpg

19 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I still don’t understand why car designers are allowed to design cars where it’s impossible to change things like light bulbs. Guys on Facebook said this was a 5 min job, nope. Bumper off time! 

I thought I’d been smart and just pulled back the driver’s side of the bumper to pull the headlight out. Replacing the bumper was impossible at this angle so the whole lot had to be removed. What a pain! I think my neighbours heard me swearing and peeped around the net curtains to see my waving my fist at the sky too. Embarrassing. 

E9D20797-6EAD-472E-A68D-9F9F3E6B67B8.jpeg

9ED12E06-67A6-47CB-87D0-2B9C6D10F98B.jpeg

430FBD3C-34DF-4FE9-8AAC-9E1599F96F32.jpeg

Makes you laugh fume when it's compulsory to have a full set of spare bulbs onboard so you can do it at the roadside, great safety feature 😕

2 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Makes you laugh fume when it's compulsory to have a full set of spare bulbs onboard so you can do it at the roadside, great safety feature 😕

Laugh even more when you luckily* find that a previous owner just cut a chunk out the wheel liner to swap the bulbs and never covered it over.

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Is that still the same Saab you'd hoped to get finished by yesterday? 

It's leaving Sunday 🤣

I've only got a couple of little bits to weld now, that back bit is done as of 3pm and the front bits is ready just to seam.

By the time I finish tonight I'll have near 46 hours in this and I've still the front drivers arch to have a poke at, 12 holes on passenger side and 3 on the drivers so far.

Only took it on so I could pay some bills but the poor guy didn't think it was this bad, neither did I tbf.

5 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

It's leaving Sunday 🤣

I've only got a couple of little bits to weld now, that back bit is done as of 3pm and the front bits is ready just to seam.

By the time I finish tonight I'll have near 46 hours in this and I've still the front drivers arch to have a poke at, 12 holes on passenger side and 3 on the drivers so far.

Only took it on so I could pay some bills but the poor guy didn't think it was this bad, neither did I tbf.

They don't* make them like they used to, although I guess this one must have about 20 years on mine.

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

They don't* make them like they used to, although I guess this one must have about 20 years on mine.

Tack welds and filling over holes has led to it being as bad as it is, I've had to make a whole bottom for the front of the wing yesterday since they just filled holes. 

Yours is clean underneath for its age, both are from what I can remember.

This is what a garage told Gary it needed done 

image.thumb.png.cbed0f3a3a0d74192041ea1fdeaa7622.png

Must have been looked over by Stevie Wonder 🤣