The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

There’s a good chance it didn’t originally have RHD, also note the front wheels, I suspect it has a modern power unit and front suspension spliced in. Welding in a Mk1 Mondeo subframe complete with mechanicals is a common adaptation. 

Always still seems a tragic waste though, especially when they go out with unobtainable bumpers and trim still attached.

ION, went karting with some friends last night. I used to race for my uni but since having a grown up life now I rarely get chance to go. I'd forgotten that one of the visors for my helmet was repping for Autoshite, so I fitted that one to race last night 😅

IMG_20230305_131941276.jpg

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

Nothing exciting.. went to a car meet.. and at 915hrs it was well packed out.. almost all age of cars catered for.. if u want me to post slideshow I can.

Also the Missus treated the galaxy to a wash and brush up..

20230305_134015.jpg

20230305_134107.jpg

Every little helps

Got the new bonnet cable fitted to the Volvo today, between sleet showers.  It was a bit of a faff as the only way to get the assembly through the hole in the bulkhead was to remove a clip which really didn't want to be removed (and then once removed really didn't want to clip back on again), so at the moment I have to hold one part of the handle steady whilst pulling the other, but it works, and the bonnet is properly shut for the first time in probably 15 years.  I went to take it for a celebratory drive (I also wanted to make sure that the new rear brake discs had got rid of the knocking from the back end) but barely got out of the car park before it became apparent that something was badly amiss - a horrible grinding noise and vibration from the nearside rear.  I turned round at the end of the road and drove back onto the car park, where a brief investigation revealed that the nearside handbrake cable had broken away from its clip on the trailing arm (or rather the clip had disintegrated) and was rubbing against the inside of the tyre.  A quick application of a nice fat cable tie and I set off again, and this time all was quiet - the original knocking noise was gone as well which was a relief.  It still feels slightly loose at the back end, but that'll be the suspension bushes that were an advisory on the last MOT in about 2006...  I ran out of time to take it for a proper run, and the roads weren't in an ideal state for it anyway, but next time we have a dry weekend I'm going to take it out onto an NSL road and get it wound up above 40 for the first time in a very long time.

I got the other front hub most of the way off the MG yesterday - it put up a bit more of a fight, the top ball joint nut actually came off more easily than the offside, but the bottom ball joint bolt took a great deal of belting with a lump hammer before it'd come loose, and the ball joint itself had to be attacked with a splitter and the aforesaid lump hammer.  In theory though it should now be a 10-minute job to get both hubs the rest of the way off - I'm going to try to take them into the garage on Friday as that'll then give me the weekend to put the car back together without leaving it sitting for ages with no front wheels.

Took the Visa up to Tesco and stuck a tenner of E5 in the tank.  The fuel gauge still hasn't moved so I assume that's broken - I'll need to have a look at some point.  I'm also going to ask the garage when I take the Rover in if they have any part worn tyres in the correct size for the Visa - the fronts are currently 165/70R13 which are too big (and on their last legs anyway).  I got the headlining fixed up at the back - ended up drilling two holes at either end and using self tappers with washers on to hold the headlining up.  It means I can now see out the back properly, which is a bonus.  I do need to have a look at the brakes though at some point - they work OK (and they're non-servo'd so they're never going to stand the car on its nose like a hydro Citroën) but there's too much pedal travel for my liking.  I seem to remember Lankytim saying something about it having the wrong wheel cylinders on the back, so that's going to be my first port of call.

9 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Just visiting my uncle in rural Co Tipperary,and took a wander around his field,found this located in the hedge,any guessing as to what it was?

I know because I remember my uncle driving it.

20230305_161433.thumb.jpg.1a19f9623ec71a9678ebabbff1f878a6.jpg

20230305_161413.thumb.jpg.1ac70ac731813007e975b0676313eb1f.jpg

20230305_161356.thumb.jpg.c85b1e7f487e1e39f11d51dce9f2ddbb.jpg

Calapst - that's what it is 😂

4 hours ago, chaseracer said:

Mostly Citroen ZX underneath apparently, with Peugeot 205 engine/box.  Beyond rotten.

Still... 🥺

Neither of those are getting any more common either! 

On 3/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Nev said:

I don't know where he finds his stuff, has had loads of rae-ish old shite. 
Normally utterly fucked though, he's a braver man than me, considering that if you've got something out of the ordinary, you might as well tie a target to your arse.

Isn't he the guy on the blue forum that built and raced a 309 estate? If its him, pretty sure he's raced a Ferrari Mondial, a DS Safari and an Alfasud estate before...

38 minutes ago, goosey said:

Sat eating my lunch in sainsburys car park earlier and this Mondeo parks next to me

6AA89208-618F-4895-9777-231F8BADAC57.jpeg

Anonymous call to 101 or online report to the police would be the response from me.  There's no excuse for that, you can't "not notice" it being worn for that long.  Fact the thing must do a passable impression of a hovercraft every time it rains should be a clue...

44 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Anonymous call to 101 or online report to the police would be the response from me.  There's no excuse for that, you can't "not notice" it being worn for that long.  Fact the thing must do a passable impression of a hovercraft every time it rains should be a clue...

Just out of interest, why would you try to call 101 anonymously? 

52 minutes ago, goosey said:

Just out of interest, why would you try to call 101 anonymously? 

I wouldn't bother about it personally, but some people can be really wary about giving their details to the police.  Was just meaning that for road safety reports of stuff like that they won't insist on taking any details from you.

Poor wording on my part.

In contrast to that Mondeo tyre, I've just changed an almost brand new continental tyre this afternoon because it had a gash in the sidewall down to the cords..

I think I was just as gutted lobbing it in the scrap pile (after slashing it for good measure, because you never know) as the lady who owned the car! 

15 hours ago, angle said:

Isn't he the guy on the blue forum that built and raced a 309 estate? If its him, pretty sure he's raced a Ferrari Mondial, a DS Safari and an Alfasud estate before...

Yep, mostly "home made", obviously has more time / skillz than he knows what to do with!

New House Day: yesterday Lilith did a repeat of the "door window not drop/rising properly drain battery" weirdness and therefore had insufficient charge to start. She should be eager to get there, it's got a lovely car port just to keep the rain off her roof!

The Rover 75 has just passed its MOT.  Total bill came to £201.68, including the test fee, fitting the new front spring and two part worn tyres.  I can live with that for another year's wafting.

Technically it only needed one tyre but they didn't have any in the right size, so it was a case of either fitting a pair of the next size down or ordering a tyre online and taking the car back at a later date to have it fitted.  Given that the other front tyre wasn't in the first flush of youth anyway I told them to go ahead and replace both.

Now I need to book it in for a T4 session to get the windows working again, and have another crack at replacing the A/C compressor belt...