The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

The Rover 75 has just passed its MOT.  Total bill came to £201.68, including the test fee, fitting the new front spring and two part worn tyres.  I can live with that for another year's wafting.

Technically it only needed one tyre but they didn't have any in the right size, so it was a case of either fitting a pair of the next size down or ordering a tyre online and taking the car back at a later date to have it fitted.  Given that the other front tyre wasn't in the first flush of youth anyway I told them to go ahead and replace both.

Now I need to book it in for a T4 session to get the windows working again, and have another crack at replacing the A/C compressor belt...

That's good going for a 75 MOT, can't be a bad one!

On 3/6/2023 at 8:14 PM, RoverFolkUs said:

You know it's bad when the stones stuck to it are the only source of traction 🤣

I’m amazed people manage to do this. The only time I’ve ever had nails or screws in the tyres is when the tread is getting low. Makes you look anyway.

44 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

was a Renault 6:grin:

On 3/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, junkyarddog said:

I know because I remember my uncle driving it.

Judging by the condition, I'm going to hazard a guess that that was a week, maybe 10 days ago?  Any longer than that and the glass would have rusted away too.

My van and I are getting a divorce. We haven't been getting on since the transition to a BMW. (I did say that it might have been an idea to go Volvo, which was in the running along with Mercedes). I suppose it was inevitable although there was no early, or late, indication. Which I've heard is common in these cases. It's the old story of being lured away by a man with a welder. So it will be goodbye to Pug and hello to Mazza. The guys are sorting anything that needs doing along with a service and 4 new tyres, Toyo's I believe, and then off for the Mot early ish next week. Top blokes. This is only the second Japanese motor I've had, the other was a Toyota Hiace so not really comparable. Can you believe it that this is the first vehicle I've owned with lecky windows? I prefer armstrong ones as they very rarely stop working but hey that's 'progress' for you. I'm bound to get in the wrong side for a while as I haven't owned a Rhd for 25/30 years. So that will be me jumping straight from the late 80's into the early 90's. A big step I think you will agree.

30 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

My van and I are getting a divorce. We haven't been getting on since the transition to a BMW. (I did say that it might have been an idea to go Volvo, which was in the running along with Mercedes). I suppose it was inevitable although there was no early, or late, indication. Which I've heard is common in these cases. It's the old story of being lured away by a man with a welder. So it will be goodbye to Pug and hello to Mazza. The guys are sorting anything that needs doing along with a service and 4 new tyres, Toyo's I believe, and then off for the Mot early ish next week. Top blokes. This is only the second Japanese motor I've had, the other was a Toyota Hiace so not really comparable. Can you believe it that this is the first vehicle I've owned with lecky windows? I prefer armstrong ones as they very rarely stop working but hey that's 'progress' for you. I'm bound to get in the wrong side for a while as I haven't owned a Rhd for 25/30 years. So that will be me jumping straight from the late 80's into the early 90's. A big step I think you will agree.

Hope you enjoy the new motor!

What's happening to the van?