The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

A mate has a set of Goodyear Efficientgrips on his A6, he swears by them and reports that the fronts still have 5mm on them some 15k miles later. I've seen for myself and they've worn fantastically as well, definitely a great choice of tyre and not bad money at all when a ditchfinder could still set you back £60-70 a corner for that size tyre

The newer Efficientgrip 2's are the longest lasting tyres I've found so far, on my old Zafira I got 100k miles out the rears and 50k miles out the fronts, pretty similar mileage on our Vectra too.

Thoughts please on value of a 1996 Nissan Patrol GR? Y60 model with 2.8 diesel and I believe it's a 5-door. 128k miles.

Failed MoT at a local garage, mostly needing welding but also a bit on the brakes. Nothing on suspension, emissions or exhaust.

Customer doesn't seem to want to bother getting it sorted, so they're thinking about buying it off him for scrap value - which might be what? - and getting it sorted.

I know they're not really an off-roader, but a decent tool for towing.

23 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Thoughts please on value of a 1996 Nissan Patrol GR? Y60 model with 2.8 diesel and I believe it's a 5-door. 128k miles.

Failed MoT at a local garage, mostly needing welding but also a bit on the brakes. Nothing on suspension, emissions or exhaust.

Customer doesn't seem to want to bother getting it sorted, so they're thinking about buying it off him for scrap value - which might be what? - and getting it sorted.

Scrap value, 400 quid, it may need a lot of welding!

They are decent things though.

11 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Cool, they look relatively ok anyway so fair enough

Delphi are generally ok but if there's not much in it then a genuine one wouldn't hurt I guess

Genuine Honda is £180 with Vat and they have to order it in for it to arrive on Tuesday. 😵💫

Local parts place can get me in a Hella today for £70. Doing that instead.

8 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

Fuck that lottery of random branded Chinese shit. I wouldn't even trust that crap on my lawnmower.  

53 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

There's a YouTuber called Flexiny who unearths long dead cars and he rescued an old diesel Patrol LWB with a high roof. 

Awesome thing and he now tows a trailer with it to uplift other dead cars across his country.  It's an auto though and looks as slow as a week in Edinburgh.

New coil fitted on the Civic. Took longer to clear errors from all the different modules than it did to put this on.
Didn't change the sparking plug as they couldn't get it in and it was £25 for a new one. Misfire followed the coil not the plug. Platinum plugs only done 11.5k.
920b7864eefcdff165b56a1a631efbf2.jpg

Stank a bit of fuel when idling after fitting. Presumably because fuel has been dumped into the exhaust from where it was misfiring consistently before.

Drove fine. Did notice it picked up singular and double misfires on the test drive. No idea if it's normal to pick-up the odd one on a car? Not something I ever have looked at tbh.
1aaa5ff8df7b08e9ea5fde43df12dda2.jpg

Anyway it's now fixed.

Happy Civic gives a Happy Wife which gives a Happy Life.

20230304_114117.thumb.jpg.5ccf30baed0dfaf0c55ec33252b8cca0.jpg

I had the SD1's calipers reconditioned 18 months ago. I fitted them last year with new short copper pipes. I thought it was time to fill the system with fluid.

4 pot calipers have three bleed screws - two have to be done at the same time.

The car has not ran since last summer - brake pedal is spongy - they may need bleeding again or possibly having the engine run may give some servo assistance.

I then have to look at the rear brakes - in particular the handbrake - a pain to set up. I have ordered some tools so that I can keep my fingers. Drum brakes - with their springs and sharp edges - are the automotive equivalent of a Clive Barker novel.

I am in awe with the speed some people on here crack on with things - and I am appalled at how long it takes me to do anything.

Was out in my reliable modern family estate car today.

Cupholders are ace! Comfy too

IMG_20230304_143841897.thumb.jpg.7721d4928aa7b82c138f59a4409ca754.jpg

All Modern cars look the same - just dull grey boxes.

IMG_20230304_145448371_MP.thumb.jpg.ee827f4cc7abf990a4a4c0b756d4c4de.jpg

Only one of these estates can be started with a half turn of the starter. The other is a two man operation involving "Cosby in a can"

Can you guess which is which?

IMG_20230304_150944281_MP.thumb.jpg.3553bc8f69476e10e1de0f2e36661a18.jpg

19 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Was out in my reliable modern family estate car today.

Cupholders are ace! Comfy too

IMG_20230304_143841897.thumb.jpg.7721d4928aa7b82c138f59a4409ca754.jpg

All Modern cars look the same - just dull grey boxes.

IMG_20230304_145448371_MP.thumb.jpg.ee827f4cc7abf990a4a4c0b756d4c4de.jpg

Only one of these estates can be started with a half turn of the starter. The other is a two man operation involving "Cosby in a can"

Can you guess which is which?

IMG_20230304_150944281_MP.thumb.jpg.3553bc8f69476e10e1de0f2e36661a18.jpg

The Morris looks bigger than the Volvo or a trick of the camera?

5 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Screenshot_20230304_140732_Facebook.thumb.jpg.d617a13042ee3c9ecae6d0a683f5513f.jpg

I don't know where he finds his stuff, has had loads of rae-ish old shite. 
Normally utterly fucked though, he's a braver man than me, considering that if you've got something out of the ordinary, you might as well tie a target to your arse.

Speaking of elderly fornicators, I got a bit carried away with the Lanchester inner arch repair and only went and completed it m8.

MVI_2630_Moment.thumb.jpg.058dbc9fbaeead261d3eda80b9ef4a71.jpg

I've really enjoyed myself today on this one, it felt great to have a job that was the correct ratio of effort:reward.  Car doesn't feel any more solid than it did before because it wasn't exactly wobbly back here, it's just nice to not see the driveway through the boot corner now.  Welding on top of and next to wood proved to be fine as it happened too, I just made sure to douse the wood with some water first and then take my time with spots rather than seams on the welding.  Since none of this is structural and I've slathered it with seam sealer, I don't foresee any issues during our ownership.  The only thing left to do on the outside now is to underseal all of this to keep it protected.

MVI_2630_Moment3.thumb.jpg.06c23df48c0b5209daf61bd8f287cd55.jpg

Fuel tank came out no bother too, so I wasn't at risk of exploding while welding.  This is in surprisingly good shape and will get a thorough clean and a fresh coat of paint before going back on the car.  Having this corner of the car go this smoothly has been a big morale boost.  I'd been dreading this corner a little bit and now I've done it, the rest looks very manageable since this was very much the worst bit of bodywork on the whole car.  If you've been following the videos/build threads then that's all a good bit behind this point, but when those are released/updated I'll go into more detail on what went on.

Feeling pretty good about stuff today.  Tomorrow I intend to sit on my bum and eat a lot of cake because I have earned it.

I’m quite a paranoid person when it comes to security, have had a Ring bell for years but our new house is sort of a bend/corner plot so the the drive/garage is at the side of the house but still has a path going straight past it.

Wanted some sort of CCTV to cover the area so found a 360 degree camera on Amazon. Fitted it today and it seems brilliant. SD card based so don’t need to worry about paying for cloud storage (it does have that option too) decent day and night vision. Even has motion tracking which works well as it followed me from the car round to me going out of shot! 

681515F1-1547-42EB-9531-B84DB2CC956D.jpeg

345152BB-140A-4DC8-9F40-D1190924318F.jpeg

37 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m quite a paranoid person when it comes to security, have had a Ring bell for years but our new house is sort of a bend/corner plot so the the drive/garage is at the side of the house but still has a path going straight past it.

Wanted some sort of CCTV to cover the area so found a 360 degree camera on Amazon. Fitted it today and it seems brilliant. SD card based so don’t need to worry about paying for cloud storage (it does have that option too) decent day and night vision. Even has motion tracking which works well as it followed me from the car round to me going out of shot! 

That’s good. I have had a nest cam for ten years or so. But it has  started playing up - getting hot and switching off.

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Feels like I've reached one of those moments in life.

Master SL passed his test first time yesterday (in a 66-reg Yaris diesel) and he's already got his Yaris* insured and went out to pick up his GF.

Got a photo from Miss SL, of her and the BF standing proudly beside his rather nice new LS400. They'd been ferrying his folks around the Peak District when they went up to visit. Mrs SL says it looks like a car that an uncle would drive.

Doesn't seem long since I was strapping them in child seats in my car.

*I suspect I won't drive it too often any more, but it's a great little thing and I would strongly recommend one to anybody needing everyday transport, let alone a first car. Roomy inside and still goes OK despite being just the 1-litre. Did really well over the last week or so, covering around 500 miles with 2-3 of us on board doing a complex 3-way commute to give him lots of pre-test practice. I find it remarkable that it's over a year older than he is - it would have happened occasionally, but would certainly have been unusual when I passed my test 35 years ago.

20 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Oh my. RHD too. 

Screenshot_20230304_140732_Facebook.thumb.jpg.d617a13042ee3c9ecae6d0a683f5513f.jpg

There’s a good chance it didn’t originally have RHD, also note the front wheels, I suspect it has a modern power unit and front suspension spliced in. Welding in a Mk1 Mondeo subframe complete with mechanicals is a common adaptation.