The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

23 hours ago, brownnova said:

Next door to the MoT station is a used car place. I occasionally wander in and have a browse, especially if they have anything unusual in. Imagine my surprise when I drove past and saw this in the yard!

44883395-64CD-4E48-8E0A-EAB28B86BEA8.jpegEB8780E0-0CDD-460B-97C7-155B7E8AEA38.jpeg3A92B4FC-21D6-4928-83EF-CB2F0D26B795.jpeg

He was closed Saturday by the time we’d finished the test, so I popped back on my way home from work today… it’s a little crusty, but not too bad… I really don’t need another car which needs a lot of attention do I? 

That is awesome. Have you bought it yet?

I’ve fancied a Mayflower for a few years but haven’t taken the plunge just yet. I think they’re quite expensive for what they are, or maybe owners have an inflated opinion of values.

They are going to be fairly dismal to drive with a little side valve and three speed, more like a prewar car with column change. I’ve never had the pleasure of even driving one though, the one I viewed more than ten years ago was totally misdescribed and would barely run (and had an empty cooling system, as it had all leaked out of a split rad) I walked away.

They are 100% a real marmite car though. A lot of people think they look weird. Personally I love them, I think they’re really cute!

31 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

Where did you get these reproduced Max? I’m looking to do the same for the Bluebird when it eventually returns

Retroplates on Instagram and FB, I'm a repeat customer and recommended him to a few people, top notch work and everyone I know that's bought from him's been happy. Can't remember exactly how much but they were around the £50/60 mark. Those two sets came to £95 posted.
He can do custom fonts (just not 3D ones), custom plate sizes etc. Just be advised he doesn't print in blue as it comes out green on the yellow plates.
Payment is upfront and he'll come back with high res design proofs within 24 hours, when you approve them you'll get them within a week usually.

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Has anyone been to the Bicester scramble meeting ( April 23 this year)? Jack, no27 on YouTube wants an x1/9 on his stand and I’m wondering whether to put myself forward?

I have been quite a few times. It is a great event to attend with a good variety of cars.

It started out under £5 and now is £20.62 per person. I would say if entry to No 27 stand gives you free entrance it is well worth the trip. If you have to pay £20.62 it feels too expensive to me.

22 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have been quite a few times. It is a great event to attend with a good variety of cars.

It started out under £5 and now is £20.62 per person. I would say if entry to No 27 stand gives you free entrance it is well worth the trip. If you have to pay £20.62 it feels too expensive to me.

I’m told it’s a free pass. Just been given no27’s mobile to get in touch, will do so when I’ve finished dinner.

edit….

have texted him. 

46 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

What else is going on there? Like brooklands with stalls selling stuff? 

3 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

That is awesome. Have you bought it yet?

I need to go back and have a proper look when I’m not suited from work. I could feel some grot, and I would want to investigate how far that went. 

3 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

I think they’re quite expensive for what they are, or maybe owners have an inflated opinion of values.

I also think this may be a sticking point. My opinion of value and his were some way apart. He seemed fixated that the number plate would be worth something too… Although as a trader I think he was torn between making more money and having this ancient hulk that doesn’t fit his norm on site for ages! 

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

Splashed out on a litre of tyre paint, love this stuff tyre walls that get discoloured by dirt.. sun.. and other rubber things like mud flaps etc etc

Screenshot_20230228_203254_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I last used that stuff in 1993. One of the garage lads used to flick a can of five wheel steel over the wheels on some of the forecourt cars during prep and I had to clean the mess up with this stuff. I didn't realise it still existed!

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

I need to go back and have a proper look when I’m not suited from work. I could feel some grot, and I would want to investigate how far that went. 

I also think this may be a sticking point. My opinion of value and his were some way apart. He seemed fixated that the number plate would be worth something too… Although as a trader I think he was torn between making more money and having this ancient hulk that doesn’t fit his norm on site for ages! 

V5 will say for sure (check the special notes section) but given this is highly likely V765 Jobby, im pretty sure the registration mark is non transferable, which is probably how it still has its original plate!

perhaps you can check the V5 for this and then use it to shoot down his number plate fantasies and haggle the price to a suitable level and then buy it :) 

I think its a charming looking thing, in the way they sort of look like a 1950's car/London Taxi that someones had to draw for a cartoon/as a caricature  and thus over-exaggerated it all a bit LOL

6 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And am I the only one who loves the smell of new tires and shiny and nice steel rims?

No, I also love the smell of new tyres, I used to do deliveries for Pirelli years ago, the smell from the tyres in the warehouse was wonderful to me. The smell takes me back to being a little kid again and going out with my dad, he was a tyre fitter on the big machinery at the pits in the 70's, used to go with him on weekend callouts, down to the tyre warehouse, there were thousands of tyres in there from little Mini tyres to huge earthmovers that towered over little old me, he'd load the big buggers on with the hiab onto the flatbed truck and off we'd trundle, I absolutely loved it.

I also like a nice plain black or silver steel wheel - Mrs Popsicle reckons I'm a boring old fart!

8 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The modern needed new summer tires and a set of rims and since it was difficult to find used and new steel rims here in Norway, I had to buy new ones online. The only site I found steel rims and tires was on a website belonging to Delticom in Germany with mixed reviews, but I took the chance and bought from there. So 3 nervous weeks later where the wheels disappeared a week in tracking  they were delivered and I'm relieved.

So far everything looks good, it was also positive that the Toyo tires were made in Japan, all that remains is that they fit the car as they should and the tpms works, which I will know in about 6 weeks. So if it does, I will buy from them again.

And am I the only one who loves the smell of new tires and shiny and nice steel rims?

20230228_154633.thumb.jpg.d05c02d8723e58e01cb62285736902b3.jpg

And the tire size is 155/70R13 if anyone is wondering which is nice and also cheap.

That’s about the same as my space saver spare. I’ve not had a car on 155 tyres since 1984.

5 hours ago, Mally said:

I've never been, but it's supposed to be good. They close the road and have a parade, including Stock Cars driving down the street.

its just in the school grounds this time , but it is quite a big school , , however that said the same happened to the Woodvale show when it moved and its now gone

2 hours ago, HMC said:

Speed bumps not familiar territory to Austin 7- bumping over it has shaken the exhaust to pieces !

B0516BA0-A72E-4482-AF25-CA1D791A7B28.thumb.jpeg.69b7b9ee1963671b381efcf423101d80.jpeg

Just shoved it back up the sleeved bit of the section further upstream with one hand. Felt like it weighted nothing, about as wide as a household water pipe. Probably wants some paste and the clamp nipping up. 

Time to go see the extended family via the worst form of transport possible:

C102068C-BC60-443E-95DE-6BD87CDDA44D.thumb.jpeg.ea92dae1809b208fa55e3c319fb9ba11.jpeg

Supplies to make things more bearable:

EC874155-556D-4E41-A655-AB10013140F8.thumb.jpeg.1e6ed2870113dc9263292179ac8b76ee.jpeg

It was our baby’s first time flying (sorry everyone else onboard). He was ok to be fair:

9B952CB5-59F8-4629-B144-912808016209.thumb.jpeg.d18e5c98513639923a5ca917498cc5df.jpeg

Hello Austria:

D0D513A5-143B-477A-B62F-74BA60BCEA2E.thumb.jpeg.9f950d23e94482aade388e5d127bb1e0.jpeg

Let it be known that if you need a baggage trolley in Vienna airport and you have no europe tokens, 10p will sort you out:

7F126AF8-4425-4BA4-BAA0-1FBCD04BA275.thumb.jpeg.91e51e75cdf59e2d30236f5d89b76a91.jpeg

We are en route to family now where I’m told a loan car awaits me. I can’t wait, I hope it’s awful!

MVI_2598_Moment.thumb.jpg.181b5ca1639fe7abe96b314ef10d86d0.jpg

Getting that rear wing off was slightly scary since it required an angle grinder in a tight space very close to my face.  If it had been bolts I could at least have stood a chance of just torquing the heads off, but no, more fine thread flat head screws instead which were, predictably, rust blobs.  Still, it's off and I can get access to the rust I need to repair loads easier now both on the car and the rear wing.  Hoping for decent weather this weekend so I can blitz this corner and get it all lovely again, there weren't any horrors hiding, which was nice, and almost everything I need to replace is flat panels that I now have really good access to.  This is the bad side too, so I'm hoping when I move on to the other side it goes a lot quicker and easier.