The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Ring Autoplas, they'll still have some replacements that they'll send you.

I emailed them months ago in anticipation of gettingĀ the thing. They never replied. They are still in business but don't appear to do anything car related.

Notice of Italian car meeting in Aprilā€¦.

The First All Italian Car Breakfast Meet of 2023 will be held Saturday the 1st April.
As with the previous meets, it will be at The Departure Lounge CafƩ, GU34 4BH, just outside Alton in northern Hampshire.

The cafƩ is a great venue for a breakfast meet, as it has a large solid field on which the owner lets us park so as to be able to display our cars all together and out of the main public car park.

The meet starts at 1000hrs, which is when the cafƩ opens, and is not a formal event so no booking is necessary, and entry is free, so just come along if you fancy it.

It is open to any Italian car of any age, and we have had classics and supercars through to modern Alfas and Fiats and everything in between. Attendees have come from across the southern counties and as far afield as London, Kent, and Dorset, with many clubs supporting the event.

The format is simple, we park up, chat to other owners and look at the cars on show, and have some breakfast if you want to. People usually drift away after lunch. We have had close to 200 cars at some of last years' events, so there is plenty to see, and always lots of Alfas.
Ā 

0DBF7F9D-411D-4804-9ECF-212F014D3EF8.png

BE59513E-7020-4C93-A3B7-7BFD85281F9D.png

22 hours ago, DoverShark said:

Headlamps were odd, no pattern at all, I made him check many times but nope, definitely not there.

I assume the lenses aren't cloudy?

If not, someone's put the bulbs in upside down.Ā Maybe :)

Lost count of how many times I've seen that!

Park the car roughly 2-3 feet away from a wall and turn the headlights on, if the pattern looks like a sine wave the bulbs are incorrectly fitted or just defective (I've even had them come out bent before)

If it's hazy then the headlamp lenses are probably fogged up

You should see a nice straight, focused, bright horizontal line with a scatter of light around it for the beam image to be correct

17 hours ago, Bren said:

This arrived for the SD120230216_152350.thumb.jpg.fda15cb2a6b782dac3df899635ed4164.jpg

I need to work out what the fittings are because they are long gone.

I love a louvre, a quintessential 80s accessory.

Would these Aunger fixing suit yours? These are what all the Australian made louvred used.

image.jpeg.fad5bd7b0d4c025c943bf24c622e8887.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254517963554

After successful* road tests last night I drove the Merc in to work today, very gingerly to avoid blowing intercooler pipes all over the place.

BCB3C9B1-3E57-4065-B408-9F22454E6AC1.thumb.jpeg.31c5f0e6a8c89c0b09860ae391f99b68.jpeg

Iā€™ve managed to jam one of the bonnet latches in the open position which is why the passenger corner of the bonnet is a bit raised.

I also did my commute with the header tank cap removed šŸ˜…

0058B9A6-56B5-4C60-8E9A-F100AB869B5B.thumb.jpeg.f07e55856811925383f5b68c9e07adf8.jpeg

No harm done though by all accounts. I do need to bleed the system properly though.

ah yes the exact sort of shape you want to see your lightbulb containing parcel to be in...

IMG_2434.thumb.JPG.2a58f4f53f279d59f4ca67ba0ae12110.JPG

amazingly said lightbulb inside survived the ordealĀ 

IMG_E2441.thumb.JPG.410aca25e246ff49c25ec4410a334112.JPG

and works lovely

IMG_2450.thumb.JPG.67b9eac5800b95c698c7b40b2b779f5a.JPG

given this was shipped to me via Evri/My Hermes, I guess I should be thankful it even arrived at all...

19 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

given this was shipped to me via Evri/My Hermes, I guess I should be thankful it even arrived at all...

The water pump for my S210 came via Evri earlier this week, and I was pleased* to see they're carrying on the Hermes tradition of jumping up and down on every package they deliver, the box was absolutely fuckedĀ šŸ¤£

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah yes the exact sort of shape you want to see your lightbulb containing parcel to be in...

IMG_2434.thumb.JPG.2a58f4f53f279d59f4ca67ba0ae12110.JPG

amazingly said lightbulb inside survived the ordealĀ 

IMG_E2441.thumb.JPG.410aca25e246ff49c25ec4410a334112.JPG

and works lovely

IMG_2450.thumb.JPG.67b9eac5800b95c698c7b40b2b779f5a.JPG

Currently having a royal battle with them over a package they've lost of mine.Ā  They're claiming it was delivered...and have photographic evidence of that.

Except the photograph is of the parcel being handed to a black guy next to a red front door...all of us in this house are white enough to pass as vampires, and nobody on our street has a red front door...however they are simply remaining adamant that "The parcel was delivered."

48 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Currently having a royal battle with them over a package they've lost of mine.Ā  They're claiming it was delivered...and have photographic evidence of that.

Except the photograph is of the parcel being handed to a black guy next to a red front door...all of us in this house are white enough to pass as vampires, and nobody on our street has a red front door...however they are simply remaining adamant that "The parcel was delivered."

well while your there do you think you might be able to fish outĀ  the ThinkPad T43 and Coughtrie CPS16 of mine that they managed to vanish into the void, for me?

Ā 

and if it makes you feel better DPD are currently fucking me about, twice now I have been at my computer when I suddenly get a "sorry we missed you" text from them

like fuck you did! no attempt to ring the bell/intercom at all, I get that its 30Kg of lightbulb control gear,Ā but you did accept it so please actually deliver it! and if you really cant get it up the stairs then at least call the intercom so I can comeĀ help or rope a neighbour into helping...

although when someones who's physically disabled has to help you get a parcel up the stairs at expense of their own health/well being thats not a very good showing, looking at you UPS! who tried to pull a similar stuntĀ when I bought the 25A Variac recently, did I mention I hate living 3 stories up in a building with no lift?

*grumble*

On 2/13/2023 at 9:55 PM, chaseracer said:

You know that thing when you drive a car and it's just RIGHT? Ā I am now looking for one of these, in Exclusive 2.0HDi160 manual spec...

image.png

Step this way sir, only 57k miles, only local (ish)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/484567703629867/

Watching an Invacar auction on e bay, very interesting. Itā€™s at almost 5k Ā at the mo; I had noĀ idea what they were worth. Then again ā€˜microcarsā€™ do goĀ for strong money, especially InĀ EuropeĀ so maybe I shouldnā€™t be suprised. Could be bound for the continent, orĀ maybe an AC completist?

Interesting article on the perils of electric cars. No chargers at holiday resorts which are quiet a lot of the year and then have peak demand over the summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/18/taking-tesla-to-truro-warnings-lack-of-electric-charging-points

Great way to make silly money - strap a big old diesel generator to a flatbed and tour Devon fleecing owners who can't find a charger this summer...

I'll stick to my diesel banger...