The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Don't know if I'm late to the party here but this picture popped up on FB

FB_IMG_1675205249777.thumb.jpg.ec780a6003fbfc97f05204cb7c9ca4a4.jpg

Seems the owner specifically tracked one down, imported it, had a minor accident and it's ended up in a yard

https://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.com/2017/12/cedrics-scandinavian-adventure.html?m=1

Don't know where it is but apparently written off Cat B, so this looks like the end for this rare beast

The owner posted prolifically on here.

He had mental health issues, namely bi polar disorder. Took a massive high during which he crashed the Datsun while buying several other cars and attempting to sell his house to by an Alvis Stalwart.

Shortly after he vanished, seemingly he is "getting help", although clearly not in any condition to be dealing with cars. Hence the Datsun going for scrap through insurance, the parts to repair it are supposedly in the back but the COD has been issued and the yard it's in won't sell it whole.

I didn't realise the Cedric had been classified as a Cat B. Such a waste after a lifetime of being carefully looked after and with such minor damage in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder what caused it to be classified as Cat B? The wording doesn't seem to fit with the tap on the nose.

Category B write-offs have suffered severe damage that can't be repaired. The remains of the car can be stripped for parts for use on other vehicles, but the chassis and/or body shell must be scrapped because this may have suffered serious or irreparable damage.

It looks/ed feasible to repair. 

Screenshot_20230201_085100_eBay.thumb.jpg.885979f64f9297619eb96fa910cf6ef5.jpg

I wonder how many other parts they haven't sold from it? 

58 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I didn't realise the Cedric had been classified as a Cat B. Such a waste after a lifetime of being carefully looked after and with such minor damage in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder what caused it to be classified as Cat B? The wording doesn't seem to fit with the tap on the nose.

Category B write-offs have suffered severe damage that can't be repaired. The remains of the car can be stripped for parts for use on other vehicles, but the chassis and/or body shell must be scrapped because this may have suffered serious or irreparable damage.

It looks/ed feasible to repair. 

Screenshot_20230201_085100_eBay.thumb.jpg.885979f64f9297619eb96fa910cf6ef5.jpg

I wonder how many other parts they haven't sold from it? 

Some of the CAT B stuff can be a bit funny. Can the owner ask for it to be CAT B so it can't be repaired as part of the settlement?

Apparently on new Rolls Royce's if it can't economically be repaired at a RR body shop they get set as CAT B even if they are repairable. 

10 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

No, Corsa Cs (even when badged as a Holden Barina) were not built in Australia

I bet some sad cunt bought all the badges from ebay and spent a frankly unreasonable amount of time rebadging their Corsa C to appear more 'sophisticated' - like the tragic amount of work a local lad has put into rebadging his (1.6 litre) Gen 2 Hyundai Coupe into a Tuscani to impress the laydeez 

1 minute ago, Stanky said:

I bet some sad cunt bought all the badges from ebay and spent a frankly unreasonable amount of time rebadging their Corsa C to appear more 'sophisticated' - like the tragic amount of work a local lad has put into rebadging his (1.6 litre) Gen 2 Hyundai Coupe into a Tuscani to impress the laydeez 

Some years ago I saw a Corsa C badged as a Holden Barina outside a Nissan dealership advertising a scrappage deal. No idea what that one was either

I made this comment in another thread in early January '23 :-

'Must fix my Tipo's exhaust when the weather behaves.  It passed its MOT recently with an advisory on a corroded exhaust (tail box and final hanger).  A few days later it began to sound very sporty then a day later the rear hanger started to part company with the tailpipe.  A baked beans can, a Fray Bentos pie can and some jubilee clips will allow a professional Autoshite repair, maybe aided by JB Weld if I can find it.'

Well, the last couple of days have provided acceptable weather and I've had enough enthusiasm to 'see to' the exhaust.  I did not need to use JB Weld because Holts Exhaust Assembly Paste gave the required sealing and adhesion.  The only part of the job that took longer than expected was the drilling of a 5mm hole in the old exhaust hanger where corrosion of the tailpipe had caused it to part company with the pipe. Either my drills are blunt or cheap and nasty or I'm getting weak because even with the hanger removed from the car and in a vice it took nearly an hour to get through 8mm of bracket and tailpipe remnants.  Surprisingly, I had more success with a hand drill in the end.  Power drills seemed to lack bite with or without coolant and regardless of the speed selected.  Yes, I tried to drill a smaller diameter pilot hole first. Anyway, the Tipo's enforced holiday is over.  The expertly bodged repair is solid, leak free and secure.  It even looks ok after a blast of some zinc primer undercoat.  No photos because I do not own a smartphone and my camera is rarely anywhere convenient.  It was nice to drive a car with suspension again.  My modern Mitsubishi Mirage makes such a fuss as it bangs and crashes over unavoidable potholes whereas the Fiat just calmly takes everything in its stride.

Edit: Just to clarify: I used the tin cans and jubilee clips mentioned, plus a 25cm length of galvanised steel tubing to internally sleeve the tailpipe and give additional support right into the silencer.  The hanger was repaired by modifying a jubilee clip to take a nut and bolt which then mated with the hanger and the hour hole.

Edited by RayMK
clarification

6 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Don't know if I'm late to the party here but this picture popped up on FB

FB_IMG_1675205249777.thumb.jpg.ec780a6003fbfc97f05204cb7c9ca4a4.jpg

Seems the owner specifically tracked one down, imported it, had a minor accident and it's ended up in a yard

https://rustyoldrubbish.blogspot.com/2017/12/cedrics-scandinavian-adventure.html?m=1

Don't know where it is but apparently written off Cat B, so this looks like the end for this rare beast

That is a ridiculous waste of a rare car. Another example of common sense being ignored in the name of stupid rules and red tape. 
Im actually surprised the banger boys haven’t had it on the oval! Which would be a better end for the poor thing than sitting on a rack before getting cubed.

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

Back when I owned redtop Cavs, many owners liked to replace the sparkolator plug cover panel with an Opel branded version. Whilst I didn't dislike the look, I wasn't prepared to pay the 30 odd quid sellers were asking at the time. Looking online now, the cheapest Vauxhall version I can find is >£80 posted. I guess the Opel version fetches even more!

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Back when I owned redtop Cavs, many owners liked to replace the sparkolator plug cover panel with an Opel branded version. Whilst I didn't dislike the look, I wasn't prepared to pay the 30 odd quid sellers were asking at the time. Looking online now, the cheapest Vauxhall version I can find is >£80 posted. I guess the Opel version fetches even more!

I remember it being easy to go on a foreign forum and find someone who wanted to swap. Years ago I knew some Spanish and German guys who wanted all the Vauxhall-branded bits for their Opels

I doubt there's any of that enthusiasm for it now.....

7 hours ago, Stanky said:

So aggressive. Let people enjoy things.