The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Yes!! Yellow TF is something my wife wanted but never achieved (ended up with an orange NAC era one instead) and values surely on the up soon. Base spec black mirrors and door handles too I see = win. 

PS. Nice number plate as well … if you’re San from Viz comic’s Fat Slags. 

It's actually yellower than it looks in the photos.  My phone camera doesn't really do it justice (the light was fading to be fair).

It's a bit scruffy bodywork-wise in places, but it's only done 46K so touch wood it should be mechanically OK - it's tested until September so if it all holds up that'll be my top down motoring sorted for the summer, for (by current standards) a ridiculously small amount of money.

It is very much a bASe model - manual mirrors, no aircon, 1.6 engine etc.  I'd never driven a 1.6 before - it is quite noticeably less lively than a 1.8.

12 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Wandering home from the pub... Holden Barina outside a takeaway. :shock:

PXL_20230129_232831660.jpg

PXL_20230129_232821581.jpg

The MOT history is why Mots should be every 6 months. 

Plus 48k in the 2021 imagine the misery of doing 130 miles every single day of the year in that. 

And I like Vauxhalls Finest.

Wonder where in the world they assemble the Holden version? 

9 hours ago, New POD said:

Plus 48k in the 2021 imagine the misery of doing 130 miles every single day of the year in that. 

Australia.

12 hours ago, New POD said:

You would think, someone that manages to do 40k miles in a year would have the sense to look after a car. It won't run forever if they neglect it doing that sort of mileage

On a side note, I infer that it's seen the same MOT tester every year between 2011-2019!

Just been for a blat in the MG.  It drives a lot better now that the tyre pressures are correct!  It's also really not slow at all when given the beans.  Grip isn't quite as good as the MGFs I've had, but that might be due to the tyres, which are a heady mix of Triangle on the back and Kormoran on the front.  It also seems pretty decent on fuel - I stuck 30 quid in when I picked it up, I've now done 200 miles and it's not used it all yet, although admittedly most of those miles were cruising at 70 on the dual carriageway.

I do really need to sort the wheel bearing though before I do any more long journeys in it.

2 hours ago, tom13 said:

Where is this?

You're local to me. I see your bus/car quite regularly.

DFTR Automotive off Peartree Lane. Very good if you can wait although they have managed to fit me in coz I iz a VIP. Dollywobbler has used them on more than one occasion and they have a Porsche from someone on AS there.

43 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Nice your Mazda is looking good. You replacing the Pug?

43 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Nice your Mazda is looking good. You replacing the Pug?

Not sure yet. Going to take the Maz on in May and see how I get on with it. Meanwhile I'll get the wing on and rear arches done on the van and see whether I want it or the Maz. I'm pretty sure I could get the money back on the Maz if I sell it. The market for a Lhd Pug 305 van is somewhat limited so I don't see me getting the price of the Maz for it and the van would be a little bit cheaper to run.

40 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Not sure yet. Going to take the Maz on in May and see how I get on with it. Meanwhile I'll get the wing on and rear arches done on the van and see whether I want it or the Maz. I'm pretty sure I could get the money back on the Maz if I sell it. The market for a Lhd Pug 305 van is somewhat limited so I don't see me getting the price of the Maz for it and the van would be a little bit cheaper to run.

I don't know I bet they are both pretty desirable.

Fact of the day

In 1950, 75 percent of all cars produced worldwide were produced in the United States. But over the subsequent decades US production remained largely unchanged, whereas that of Europe and Japan surged. By 1980 the US share of global production had fallen to 20 percent and Japan was making more cars than the USA.

Weather has been ok for the last few days and today wasn’t a bad day at all so, 

Still premature as it’s still winter, but I got the Mercury out from hibernation! Checked it over, hooked the battery back up and fired the big bastard up! Took a while to get some petrol to pump up the float bowls, but once it did it fired straight up and ran with no drama. Got it nice and warm and drove it up and down the driveway. 
Can’t really hit the king’s highway yet because of all the shitty salt but it’s nice to just spend a few hours messing around with it! Roll on spring!