The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I am conducting an experiment so the rest of us don't have to.

I'm going to try and run a  normal car for a bit to see how that is.

By normal I mean not an L322 or a 20 year old Renault van with the wrong engine. 

No collection thread, it was delivered to my door last night. 

It's a mk5 Golf 1.6 SE, owned by a friend for the last 8 years.

I'll get pics when I see it in daylight but here's what I have so far.

IMG_20230125_171749.thumb.jpg.d0d4c84458814b69c887ff75e475ade4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-25-17-48-10-34_3d954c255d31d201ae1f6f5255b9d256.thumb.jpg.f571838e5ea6037bcc57ce65a535a1d0.jpg

#vaglife

1 minute ago, dome said:

I am conducting an experiment so the rest of us don't have to.

I'm going to try and run a  normal car for a bit to see how that is.

By normal I mean not an L322 or a 20 year old Renault van with the wrong engine. 

No collection thread, it was delivered to my door last night. 

I'll get pics when I see it in daylight but here's what I have so far.

IMG_20230125_171749.thumb.jpg.d0d4c84458814b69c887ff75e475ade4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-25-17-48-10-34_3d954c255d31d201ae1f6f5255b9d256.thumb.jpg.f571838e5ea6037bcc57ce65a535a1d0.jpg

#vaglife

I'd fix the fuel gauge - nobody hands over a car these days with that much juice in it - must be bust :- ) ?

1 hour ago, dome said:

Nearly 50mpg out of that is pretty impressive. The one we had a few years ago now was an early FSI and really only got 33-35mpg. As it was an early one, it irritatingly only really liked super unleaded.

It was particularly boring and not fast but it was comfortable, very quiet and easy to drive. I saw why golfs are so popular. Do everything that a non car person wants in a car and does them well. 

17 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Looks like I'm going to Bridgwater at the weekend to view a car with my mate as he's after a fourth gen Civic, and I've had an eye out for him. It's going to be his first car, he's been driving for a while and wants one as a modern classic, he doesn't need a daily and it's going to live at his folks' place. 

Bridgwater, in Somerset. And it'll probably be a one day affair. 

Did I mention I'm currently in Fife?

You will have to add a bit of a detour to increase the mileage beyond the 952 miles I did taking my son to his gran's and taking her out. Buckingham to Forfar, drive out for lunch tour, Forfar to Buckingham 3am to 10pm. This Cavalier 2.0 CDi in case you wondered 44 mpg.

CVS Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0CDi J440 ONV.jpg

A few days off work this week. Today's relatively mild weather has given me the opportunity to hand wash my i10. It is the dirtiest it has been in my ownership. I have been clocking around 100+ miles a week in it on my commute.

Mileage is up to 37,500 (ish). The warranty runs out in March, which of course is when the next service and MOT is due. Once those milestones pass I may be looking to move the i10 on. 

DSC_1042.JPG

DSC_1041.JPG

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Nearly 50mpg out of that is pretty impressive. The one we had a few years ago now was an early FSI and really only got 33-35mpg. As it was an early one, it irritatingly only really liked super unleaded.

It was particularly boring and not fast but it was comfortable, very quiet and easy to drive. I saw why golfs are so popular. Do everything that a non car person wants in a car and does them well. 

Our 1.4 MK6 non tsi is very good on fuel for a heavy car with a little engine. 45 around the houses 55 on a run.

4 hours ago, SiC said:

The economy is after an easy A road/motorway run so will flatter it.

I saw the chat about super unleaded with these engines.  I'll need to ask the previous owner what he ran it on but I suspect regular. This is a 55 plate so about as early as they get. Boring and comfortable is what I'm looking for. 

1 hour ago, dome said:

The economy is after an easy A road/motorway run so will flatter it.

I saw the chat about super unleaded with these engines.  I'll need to ask the previous owner what he ran it on but I suspect regular. This is a 55 plate so about as early as they get. Boring and comfortable is what I'm looking for. 

I think 55 it had been sorted by then. It was the early 53 to 54 I believe required it. Ours was an 04.

Essentially it was because the ECU operated in fully stratified mode. However that caused issues and required stuff like an expensive NOX sensor in the exhaust. So later engine codes simply ditched the fully stratified mode. Incidentally they still kept the FSI monikers though!

The petrol cap flap should tell you what it would really like best. 

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I think 55 it had been sorted by then. It was the early 53 to 54 I believe required it. Ours was an 04.

Essentially it was because the ECU operated in fully stratified mode. However that caused issues and required stuff like an expensive NOX sensor in the exhaust. So later engine codes simply ditched the fully stratified mode. Incidentally they still kept the FSI monikers though!

The petrol cap flap should tell you what it would really like best. 

I wonder if this would be the same 1.6 pez lump my old 2007 Leon ran? I seem to remember you said they were fairly dated engines at this point. The MPGs from mine were really poor - my 1.8 vvti MR2 is way more frugal.

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I wonder if this would be the same 1.6 pez lump my old 2007 Leon ran? I seem to remember you said they were fairly dated engines at this point. The MPGs from mine were really poor - my 1.8 vvti MR2 is way more frugal.

Wasn't that a pre-FSI lump?

5 hours ago, dome said:

I saw the chat about super unleaded with these engines

I can't find the original SSP document that mentions when the change over is and which engine codes are which. However the government E10 checked mentions the cut off dates when it became "second generation FSI". It's these first gen FSI that really only like super unleaded.

Screenshot_20230126-204906.png

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I can't find the original SSP document that mentions when the change over is and which engine codes are which. However the government E10 checked mentions the cut off dates when it became "second generation FSI". It's these first gen FSI that really only like super unleaded.

Screenshot_20230126-204906.png

Ideal, mine was registered September 2005 so is free from that headache at least👍

13 hours ago, dome said:

Took a pic on the way to the shop.

IMG_20230126_183244.thumb.jpg.75390dda22a1c50888f0ac72fc4e971e.jpg

Just like a Golf 

My Mrs has the Leon version with the 1.6 none Fsi engine. We've had it for 5 years and paid £850 for it and it's been a brilliant car. They're nice to drive, quick enough, practical and comfy. This is the one we've never even changed the oil on I just glug in a fresh litre or so every year.  It just passed it's MOT and only needed a spring and a drop link .

Sometime back I mentioned a cheap Rover 400, which sadly I missed out on and so could not get my shonky car purchasing fix as planned.

Yesterday I came across a Mercedes W(S if you're being pedantic)210 320CDi estate for scrap money. 'Just needs a radiator M9'. Luckily I have a pile of Mercedes W210 radiators in the garage (don't ask, I don't know how it's happened either...). It's also definitely not* got collapsed spring perches.

My partner has been asking after a replacement for the Clio, and the brief I've been given is as follows:

• Must have a big boot, able to consume a pram and two large dogs
  • Must be fast. My partner defines fast as 'Like the Subaru', which is 0-60 in a blistering 9 seconds if some random specs website is to be believed.
  • Must be fuel efficient. The Clio sets the bar at 40mpg mixed use currently.
  • Must look good. Entirely subjective, but my E430 wagon has received 'good looking' approval from my partner.

I reckon that's basically approval to buy this car. She has already approved the looks of the E430, so the E320CDi is logically the perfect vehicle as it will absolutely* do 40mpg on a very long run and should move itself along faster than the Subaru. The fact that it needs work is a minor technicality.

I really, really, need to stop procrastinating and punt some shit as we are completely overrun with motors currently.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:49 PM, puddlethumper said:

Having had gearbag probs and ending up with a 4 speed that 3rd is not great in, the garage rang to say that they had a gearbox delivered this morning from UPS. Well dip me in the proverbial. Only a month late. Asking for a change of delivery address did  fuck all as well. UselessPS. Another £150 to get it put in. Heyho.

As UselessPS said that it had been damaged in transit I was round the garage to have a look. Packaging wrecked but no damage to the gear box. Yay!! Getting it put in on the 6th. Yay!! Anybody want a 4 speed box for a 305 ? No ? Didn't think so. Picked up the old box and a load of scrap from the guys and dropped it off at the scrappy's. £100 in the bank, thank you very much. Got another load to take in a couple of weeks.

43 minutes ago, chancer said:

Anything available thats small and new driver friendly?

Yes, my partner's 2007 Clio 1.2 that's been in my family from roughly 3 years old needs to go as she has outgrown it - I'm as far South as you can get without getting your feet wet though so might be a bit out of your way for collection 😅 

I just want to get a new Hyundai battery clamp bolt, 11290-08253, if this was Ford, bung the part number in Google and off you go. It seems impossible for i10 parts, any hints? It's nothing special, but I just like to get the right bits first time.

763ce1a857412ab938b8cba6317b3707.jpg

26 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Yes, my partner's 2007 Clio 1.2 that's been in my family from roughly 3 years old needs to go as she has outgrown it - I'm as far South as you can get without getting your feet wet though so might be a bit out of your way for collection 😅 

Ah balls....throw up some pics and description when the time comes though....its only a small island we live on....collection mission would get me a night away from the hoose 🤣

13 minutes ago, chancer said:

Ah balls....throw up some pics and description when the time comes though....its only a small island we live on....collection mission would get me a night away from the hoose 🤣

I'll get it posted up on the forum once it's had a clean and is ready to go, as I'd rather deal with the good folks here than the ferals on Marketplace and Scumtree. My best mate has a barn conversion holiday let thing at his cottage so if you did want to pay a visit to sunny Sussex on a long distance collection then I'm sure I could twist his arm into providing some accommodation for a night, and chauffeur services can be provided from local stations or Gatwick airport.

1 hour ago, egg said:

I just want to get a new Hyundai battery clamp bolt, 11290-08253, if this was Ford, bung the part number in Google and off you go. It seems impossible for i10 parts, any hints? It's nothing special, but I just like to get the right bits first time.

I like to guess. M8x35. Hex hd, plain washer and spring washer?

I could throw you one, but it may fall short.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Phone the local Hyundai dealer, press Y for parts, quote the part number at them? Doubt it'll be expensive, and will be right, first time. Its what i do with a lot of daihatsu parts, call my local toyota dealer and ask for part number ABC123, they usually have it ready for me the next day.

5 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Phone the local Hyundai dealer, press Y for parts, quote the part number at them? Doubt it'll be expensive, and will be right, first time. Its what i do with a lot of daihatsu parts, call my local toyota dealer and ask for part number ABC123, they usually have it ready for me the next day.

Yes, I find OEM parts desks (mostly) catastrophically unhelpful when asking for small bits in recent years, but maybe that's just me! It's a very generic Kia/Hyundai part, so think this Kia Sportage one will fit (new clamp and bolt).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274096842522

Just now, egg said:

Yes, I find OEM parts desks (mostly) catastrophically unhelpful when asking for small bits in recent years, but maybe that's just me! It's a very generic Kia/Hyundai part, so think this Kia Sportage one will fit (new clamp and bolt).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274096842522

Ah, sorry! I'm used to dealing with my local Mercedes and Toyota dealerships who have been incredibly helpful, even for tiny components with almost no profit margin in them!

7 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Ah, sorry! I'm used to dealing with my local Mercedes and Toyota dealerships who have been incredibly helpful, even for tiny components with almost no profit margin in them!

Don't be. Ford are OK, but I've found local Mazda and High and Dry kind of defensive when you ring up, almost as though unless you are buying an OEM battery for 3 year old car they don't want to know. My Dad worked on OEM and independent parts desks for decades, so find this attitude kind of odd.