The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

A pass for the 75 last week, happy with that. It's still running great and the airbag light has stayed off for a week now! It originally failed on front discs, pads and the handbrake. I wish I had known about the state of the front discs as I'd have done that myself. The ones the garage sourced were a little on the dear side. On the other hand, they stripped the handbrake mechanisms down and freed everything off. A twat of a job on a 75 so it all weighs up.

I had to clean the interior afterwards as they'd made it quite dirty so have a gratuitous interior shot.

20230113_155352.thumb.jpg.96a385a39b0fe4eb575de5798cde1421.jpg

Screenshot_20230112-184237_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5a1a027c81962a3242befb59e1bbab03.jpg

The brown 93 is in for its test next week. Once I have fitted a side light bulb it should be good to go.

Having put a 4 speed box into my van I had to make a trip to Leeds to drop my lithium battery off coz the battery management system doesn't work and therefore wont give the power out of it.  Anyway that's probably more a grumpy thread thing. 

So off to Leeds I went. A 305 base van doesn't have anything to stop noise, no carpets etc,. A 5 speed is bearable, a 4 speed is noisier. Had to stick at 60 instead of 70, fuel economy goes down. I worked out it would be about £20 each way but forgot about only having a 4 speed. I reckon it cost an extra £5 each way.  I've had an update on the box that UselessPS damaged/lost. The tracking now says 'on the way, delivery rescheduled' so it may still turn up, after I spent out on getting the 4 fitted. I'm trying to be philosophical about it but it's difficult. 

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Did see that exact one earlier, it’s not got exactly the same dash warning setup. Seems it’s the cold starts and idling that’s likely to have done it. I’ve not cycled to work much this month, so using it for shorting journeys etc.

another YouTube( in fact mopar)  says that pressing the accelerator three times with the ignition in position 1 will also clear it. 

what’s wrong with a simple ok/clear button?

a sevel van (big one so fiat) is hold accel & brake pedal down then turn key on for 10-15 secs then off and voila no light

43 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

So off to Leeds I went. A 305 base van doesn't have anything to stop noise, no carpets etc,. A 5 speed is bearable, a 4 speed is noisier. Had to stick at 60 instead of 70, fuel economy goes down. I worked out it would be about £20 each way but forgot about only having a 4 speed. I reckon it cost an extra £5 each way.  I've had an update on the box that UselessPS damaged/lost. The tracking now says 'on the way, delivery rescheduled' so it may still turn up, after I spent out on getting the 4 fitted. I'm trying to be philosophical about it but it's difficult. 

Until recently I had two very similar Citroen Visa 17RDs both 1769cc 60bhp but one was 4 speed and the other had the optional 5 speed gearbox. Driving them I could not feel the difference, the brochure says 4 speed had 22.4 mph/1000rpm and the 5 speed 21.6 mph/1000rpm . Top speed was 2 mph faster, 0-60 mph was 0.3 sec less in the 5 speed, but the fuel consumption was 2 mpg better with the 4 speed. I kept the 4 speed just because I liked the sunroof. 

P1290595 broad_zpsjgab6iy9.jpg

29 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Until recently I had two very similar Citroen Visa 17RDs both 1769cc 60bhp but one was 4 speed and the other had the optional 5 speed gearbox. Driving them I could not feel the difference, the brochure says 4 speed had 22.4 mph/1000rpm and the 5 speed 21.6 mph/1000rpm . Top speed was 2 mph faster, 0-60 mph was 0.3 sec less in the 5 speed, but the fuel consumption was 2 mpg better with the 4 speed. I kept the 4 speed just because I liked the sunroof. 

I think the ratios on a 305 van were different to a saloon/estate because the thinking was you were going to be loaded up a lot. I noticed with an empty van that first was too high and second too low, or is it the other way round, when pulling from standstill. 

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

The 4 speed petrol Visas all had 3+E gearbox as well. My Super E could cruise at 75-80 as long as the road was reasonably flat. If it wasn't  you revved harder downhill then used the extra momentum to get you up the inclines, as long as they weren't too long.

Edit:long not short.

Watching a shite telly programme on channel 5 about the 'Secrets and Scandals of Top of the Pops' which according to the woman at the end of the adverts contains 'outdated, historic racial insensitivity'. 

Yeah, thats the least of their worries with 1970s DJs. 

That's a Fred Talbot on a scale of Gary Glitter. 

14 minutes ago, artdjones said:

The 4 speed petrol Visas all had 3+E gearbox as well. My Super E could cruise at 75-80 as long as the road was reasonably flat. If it wasn't the you revved harder downhill then used the extra momentum to get you up the inclines, as long as they weren't too short.

The 11RE was geared at 19.1 mph/1000rpm so 75mph was a comfortable 3900 rpm. They did list a 5 speed 1124cc but I don't every remember seeing one and I did sell them new in 1987.

@Mrs6Chas a 1124cc 4 speed Visa Cabriolet.

13 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

The 11RE was geared at 19.1 mph/1000rpm so 75mph was a comfortable 3900 rpm. They did list a 5 speed 1124cc but I don't every remember seeing one and I did sell them new in 1987.

@Mrs6Chas a 1124cc 4 speed Visa Cabriolet.

They are great cars. I took a while to get used to mine, as my previous two cars were Triumph Dolomites. The only two real downers were having a heavy clutch for the first year owing to a distorted pedal box, and their tendency for the load sensing valve on the back to not work very well, leading to trying  to swap ends under heavy braking. A great ride, though, and it could be hustled along nicely. I once had to pick up a friend who lived 28 miles away in the back of beyond in West Cork, and did it in 34 minutes on fairly twisty roads. I drove a bit slower on the way home, as I didn't want her to throw up.

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Watching a shite telly programme on channel 5 about the 'Secrets and Scandals of Top of the Pops' which according to the woman at the end of the adverts contains 'outdated, historic racial insensitivity'. 

Yeah, thats the least of their worries with 1970s DJs. 

That's a Fred Talbot on a scale of Gary Glitter. 

TBF they did mention Jimmy Saville and his activities  at the end.

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Has anyone seen the uggadugga gun from Lidl, I think they have cordless and mains ones . Anyone used one ?

brother_Stanky has one of the corded ones and rate it highly. Slightly lower rated than my Clarke CEW1000, but about £30 cheaper. Well worth getting IMHO. I saw the cordless one was £70 in my local Lidl yesterday.

TBH they're bulky things anyway, I'd opt for the corded one unless you're likely to need to use it a long way away from mains power on a regular basis. You can use the money saved to buy a decent set of impact sockets and a 30m extension lead.

11 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Has anyone seen the uggadugga gun from Lidl, I think they have cordless and mains ones . Anyone used one ?

Yeah, I bought a cordless  one last weekend.  Having used the one @gm has.

It comes in a carry case, has 4 or 5  deep sockets,the battery and charger . It happily removed the wheel bolts from the Bini except the rounded/damaged  one. It came fully charged so ready to use.

Aldi have their version on sale from today online only for £10 less but no mention of the case or sockets.

20230122_104719.jpg

20230122_104727.jpg

20230122_104730.jpg

mine certainly came in handy last week when I had the gearbox out of the Exo, it's fairly hefty but has adjustable torque settings so you don't have to go in guns blazing. I bought a spare battery and the matching cordless angle grinder at the same time, the whole lot came to around £100ish I think.

IMG_0205.thumb.JPG.0fc56fec15d3c66f7d78d288a7fd18fd.JPG

A friend had a narrow escape yesterday.  He got a 2009 Mazda 3, which is basically a Focus 1.6 with different styling. I said I'd do an oil and filter change for him with my suction pump. He was around at my house at midday for something else, then left to take his wife home, get changed and come back. As he started up the car to leave, I couldn't help noticing a terrible rattle for about 2 seconds, which then shut up.

When he got back, we lifted the bonnet and put the suction tube down the dipstick tube and started sucking the old oil out. After about 1.5 litres  came out oil stopped coming through. I thought the tube had bent above the oil surface, so I removed it and tried again. Still nothing, so I cut a piece of stiff wire and put it down the tube until it looked like it would be level with the sump bottom. Nothing on the bottom of the tube. So I got some cheap 10/40 and poured back in about 1.5l, and tried with the dipstick. Nothing there. We poured in another litre. Nothing there.Another litre, halfway up the stick marking. So we started up the engine and ran it for 5 minutes, then checked again. It took another 1/2 litre to bring it to max.

So when he arrived at my house he must have had around 1.5l in the engine, including what was in the filter. Amazingly enough, he seems to have got away with it, as it got checked after 30 miles and was still on Max.

I did a little bit on the MG yesterday but it's bloody cold. Should be out there right now but sub zero temperatures makes it a bit off putting. By the time the heater has taken the chill off in these temperatures, I'll be going back in again.

We did watch the sunset this early evening. I will be very glad when the sunsets later in the evening in the next 2 months.

PXL_20230122_162931420.jpg

PXL_20230122_163442987.jpg

3 hours ago, SiC said:

I did a little bit on the MG yesterday but it's bloody cold. Should be out there right now but sub zero temperatures makes it a bit off putting. By the time the heater has taken the chill off in these temperatures, I'll be going back in again.

We did watch the sunset this early evening. I will be very glad when the sunsets later in the evening in the next 2 months.

PXL_20230122_162931420.jpg

PXL_20230122_163442987.jpg

Is that Clevedon? I was there earlier on today.

Well the Visa is back together.

20230122_133152.thumb.jpg.466d31e09ea326cfc4ec58f62f5595f0.jpg

Apart from the bonnet catch as I can't find the little nubbin for the end of the cable, but the bonnet is held down by the secondary catch anyway.  The ignition side of things is sorted, bar a more permanent solution for the ignition switch.  The electrics are all working too, and the alternator is charging fine.  Irritatingly though the overfuelling problem persists in rearing its ugly head.  I started it up this morning and had it running on the drive for about five minutes and it was fine.  I drove it up and down the road a few times and it behaved as it should and actually drove quite nicely, although I didn't get above third gear and 30mph.  Pulled into the car park to re-tighten the alternator belt, it started straight back up again, took it down to the end of the road and it conked out.  Lifted the bonnet and sure enough it'd pissed petrol out all over the engine.

So it obviously wasn't a dodgy float or needle valve after all, as I've replaced both of those.  The only thing I can think of is that the electric JCB fuel pump is supplying too much pressure and it's overwhelming the float's ability to close the valve.  I could try reverting to the original mechanical pump but I don't really know what condition that's in after its long slumber in a hedge, or how long it'd last if pressed back into service - I could get a new one but they look an absolute twat to fit, all the heat shielding round the engine has to come off and I know for a fact that if I try that I'm going to be left with dozens of snapped 8mm bolts so that's a non-starter.  I think I might try an in-line fuel pressure regulator to wind the pressure down a bit and see if that helps.  Other than that I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next - any bright ideas gratefully received...

Not much else done this weekend as it was too pissing cold in the mornings so I only had a few hours of usable daylight.  I finished cavity waxing the Toyota as far as I could (I haven't done the sills yet as I'd need to take out the rubber bungs and I'm a bit reluctant to do that as they never go back in properly) and tried to investigate the reason for the reversing camera having packed up - I initially thought I'd found the issue when I pulled the gubbins out of the tailgate and found a wire had come out of one of the connectors, but re-connecting it made no difference.  There's power getting to everything - the LEDs round the camera light up when I select reverse, and both the transmitter and the receiver for the camera signal are showing the correct lights.  The stereo knows when I'm reversing as it cuts the sound so it's not that.  Obviously it's one of the bits of hardware that has packed up, but I'm not sure which and I don't really want to start replacing bits so I might not bother - I've managed without a camera for over 10 years and only occasionally bumped things with the towbar.

The problem with the Maxus's camera was more obvious - the wire that sends the signal to the stereo to switch over to camera feed has backed out of the ISO plug.  I've got some spare little connectors somewhere so I'll have to try and dig them out and see if I can get it working again - it's more useful to have a working camera on the LDV than it is on the Toyota.

The only other job I got done was to attempt to waterproof the GPS antenna on the Rover - I squirted some Captain Tolley's round the front and the sides, but at the back there was too much seal missing so I've smeared on some silicone sealant which will hopefully do the job, although it looks a bit crap close up.

16 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Stepdaughter wants a new car, despite the Mini having a long MoT the traction control light is on and friendly garage can’t clear it.

Might be for sale on here soon.

Let me know if you want to pop over and hook it up to my Delphi scanner? 

Having had gearbag probs and ending up with a 4 speed that 3rd is not great in, the garage rang to say that they had a gearbox delivered this morning from UPS. Well dip me in the proverbial. Only a month late. Asking for a change of delivery address did  fuck all as well. UselessPS. Another £150 to get it put in. Heyho.