The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Early morning wake up 450am, a car alarm going off in the cul de sac, get out of bed to see and its my galaxy, so  theres me legging down the stairs in pj and slippers out the house striding across the road to the mota and its minus 5'c , unable to unlock from the drivers door as its frozen thankfully the tailgate lock wasnt frozen, left it unlock.... got home from work and ive yanked the fuse out for the alarm.

5 hours ago, Yoss said:

I think this road was still a bit icy at 11 o'clock this morning. 

IMG_20230117_110548.thumb.jpg.8498cc952be04e03a088de1a82bb6cf5.jpg

It is quite a steep hill out of shot to the left and there was water running down it so I suspect a burst pipe. Still it could have been worse (for everybody else, not for the Prius driver) as the other side of the road is lined with parked cars, which is why I had time to take the photo as I was waiting for traffic to come down the hill. And it's either a very sturdy barrier or the front of a Prius is very bendy. 

Reminds me of the time I wrote off my 3rd Astra. Lamppost not railings in my case 

Screenshot_20230117-215112_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230117-215101_Chrome.jpg

I'm also getting miffed with moderns having wipers that don't park under a heater vent. 

Admittedly it's only a minor problem as they eventually heat up, however, the Jimny has wipers that park near the vent, the blade doesn't freeze and drag ice across the screen. 

Also the engine block keeps the washer jets from freezing. 

Ultimate mini snow kaos wagon? 

IMG_20210109_141319.jpg

Treated the couriering Caddy to some new boots today.

20230118_143247.thumb.jpg.57101eb6315bac743b5124e95f9998ff.jpg

I've had really good mileage out of these Goodyears on other motors (95k miles), so hoping for the same on the Caddy. The previous Hankooks disappointed, only got just under 45k from them, with a rotation half way through. The Michelins before that were part worns when I got them lasted longer(55k), even the mix of Landsail, Marshall and Dynamo? that were on the van when I got it gave over 30k miles.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:53 PM, Yoss said:

I think this road was still a bit icy at 11 o'clock this morning. 

IMG_20230117_110548.thumb.jpg.8498cc952be04e03a088de1a82bb6cf5.jpg

It is quite a steep hill out of shot to the left and there was water running down it so I suspect a burst pipe. Still it could have been worse (for everybody else, not for the Prius driver) as the other side of the road is lined with parked cars, which is why I had time to take the photo as I was waiting for traffic to come down the hill. And it's either a very sturdy barrier or the front of a Prius is very bendy. 

came back from scouse today and between 11 and 12 the second overpass there was a car upside down - htf do you do that on a single carriageway and its not twisty

also like the prius it said incident  on another part of the motorway and a juke type thing had driven into the end of an arnco (the one with the big square end on it)

WTAF???

edit this was not first thing this morning and it was well above freezing here

A bloke up the road has a small fluffy dog called Teddy. When his daughter left home she bought a very similar dog and also called it Teddy. All was well until circumstances changed a couple of years later and she was forced to move back in with her parents.

Bloke now walks two almost identical dogs, both called Teddy!

On 1/16/2023 at 6:09 PM, reb said:

Building analogue guitar effects and synthesizer bollocks. I have my own designs I'm working on but initially I'll be doing clones. It's theoretically viable with the right marketing. As long as it pays for itself I'm not too arsed.

The important* question that everyone* needs to know the answer to; will Rebtone be your trademark?

Any builder types on here?

Our garage window needs replacing, I found a UPVC one on marketplace which is exactly the right size for £20, and can get it fitted by a proper window fitter for £80. Seems fair to pay £100 all in for it to look presentable again.

However I’m now wondering whether it’d be silly money for a builder to come in and create a doorway in place of the window? At the moment there’s no personnel door so it’d be useful to have access from the garden. Plenty of used doors on marketplace, I just don’t know what sort of money it’d be to have it knocked out and partly bricked up to create a doorway?

6EA588CC-CEC1-444A-8858-FED59EA39B1A.jpeg

FE894553-CB2F-4A11-B0E2-462B9225D893.jpeg

9A90BE50-9E59-43D7-9AED-0A6D3C642575.jpeg

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Any builder types on here?

Our garage window needs replacing, I found a UPVC one on marketplace which is exactly the right size for £20, and can get it fitted by a proper window fitter for £80. Seems fair to pay £100 all in for it to look presentable again.

However I’m now wondering whether it’d be silly money for a builder to come in and create a doorway in place of the window? At the moment there’s no personnel door so it’d be useful to have access from the garden. Plenty of used doors on marketplace, I just don’t know what sort of money it’d be to have it knocked out and partly bricked up to create a doorway?

6EA588CC-CEC1-444A-8858-FED59EA39B1A.jpeg

FE894553-CB2F-4A11-B0E2-462B9225D893.jpeg

9A90BE50-9E59-43D7-9AED-0A6D3C642575.jpeg

Just get out the old sledge hammer! I mean, how hard can it be?

Provided there's a lintel in there already the easy DIY way would be to buy a door and sidelight to suit your opening. The hardest thing that will leave you to do it tidy the brick reveals to the lower half of the door (snap some bricks in half, bed them in the gaps you made). 

If you're going to pay someone I suspect you're in for around £1k. And they'll likely have it done in a day.

I did a similar job, I paid the guy who was laying a patio next door £20 to run the saw down the walls which took him about 2 minutes!

I then used a drill to stitch drill around all the half bricks to 'sawtooth' the wall. A cold chisel and wire brush to clean up the 'good end' of each half brick before mortaring them back in.

The mortar wasn't a perfect match with the existing, but otherwise it looked pretty good and I had it done in a day.

Id definitely rather spend the money getting a door to fit the hole rather than adjusting the hole!

Fitting the door was a doddle, about 8 frame fixings to drill in, a few plastic shims and then a mastic seal.

Have a go!

2 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

What did you end up doing with that car I can’t remember?

I drove it about ten miles on the road, accidentally ended up very very deep into 3 figure speeds, drove it back home and then very quickly sold it before I broke it and or lost my licence. It was a total bitsa, every part of every bit of it was custom and the more I looked at it, the more I just saw "headache" rather than "fun". The wiring on it especially was horrible.

I got about seven grand for an "easy sale" to an acquaintance of mine. The lads at darkside said I'd undersold it and it was worth 20k, but when he came to sell it on a 2nd time, again all he could get was 7k. I spent the money building my camper van.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:19 PM, captain_70s said:

Whenever I go to a Halfords it's deserted, and Amazon will ship most of the stuff they sell to your door for less money...

I visited Halfords a couple of years ago and quickly found what I wanted and walked to the till. There was no one there and I stood there looking around for a member of staff. It’s then I noticed through the glass of the shop front about 4 of them trying to change a bulb on a customer’s car!