The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Yesterday I posted an LS430 in the tat thread, being sold by a bloke at the top of the street. A while ago he said to let him know if I ever want to sell the green MX5.
He's sent me a WhatsApp, he's sold the LS and how much am I looking for for the MX5?

He had the LS up for 2500ono.

That's how much I want.

Fuckin' winner.

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Today once the wind had died down a bit and the showers had buggered off I went outside to have a play with the Visa.  I drilled out the mounting holes in the front of the crankcase to 6mm and then went at them with an M7 tap - I had to remove one of the handles from the tap turny thing though as there wasn't enough clearance.  Then I found the bolts I'd bought were too long so I had to slice a bit off the end of them with a dremel (would have been quicker with the angry grinder but I couldn't find it, I think it might be buried in the back of the Maxus).  It all worked out OK though and the ignition module is now held on rather more securely than before.

20230115_153414.thumb.jpg.c89d40abe0ef619a76cd12d78e97fce4.jpg

I still want to add a couple of washers to try and keep it all in place - I can't go too mad tightening the bolts up as they're screwed directly into 40-year-old French alloy so I don't think it'd take too much to strip the threads.  Then I finished putting the carb back together (there's one mounting nut which isn't quite as tight as I'd like but it's almost impossible to get to with normal tools (unless I take off the oil filler pipe but the mounting nuts for that are equally impossible to get at)) - I'm going to have to invest in a crow's foot spanner I think.  It's held on well enough though, and once everything was back together the car fired straight up.

That sounds a lot healthier.  Bit tappety, but then a chatty tappet is a happy tappet.   No fuel leaks so far, although I didn't run it for very long because there's no cooling fan at the moment.  Once I've got the washers on the ignition module bolts and I'm as satisfied as I can be that they aren't going to come undone, I can get the fan back on and then start putting the front of the car back together properly.  Then hopefully I can go for a drive!

I'm so chuffed this is finally getting the TLC it deserves!

On 1/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, MrGTI6 said:

A colleague with a 16-plate Audi A3 often tells me that he'll never buy a French car because they're unreliable.

This evening, a small queue had formed on the way home from work. I thought perhaps there were some temporary lights in place. Got to the front of the queue and saw my colleague's A3 was the cause of the obstruction, just sat there with its hazard lights flashing.

It turned out his state-of-the-art dual-clutch S-Tronic gearbox decided to completely lose drive and he has no breakdown cover. 

I towed his car back to the yard using my unreliable 25-year-old French car. Only just got back home having dropped him off at his house. 

I hope you took a picture for 2023's Xmas card.

Just now, ruffgeezer said:

Looks good that,  what's you be doing business-wise, that's if it is not rude to ask?

Building analogue guitar effects and synthesizer bollocks. I have my own designs I'm working on but initially I'll be doing clones. It's theoretically viable with the right marketing. As long as it pays for itself I'm not too arsed.

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

That's everyone's question... I think there's some work in the hols but not much.

It's a Mon-Fri role though and that's more than good enough for me.

My missus did the same sort of role in a secondary school soon after she took early retirement from her statistical planning job. It was the school our eldest was attending and that helped to tip the balance to accepting it.

She didn't have to do much during the holidays, her and the boys spent virtually all of them on the Norfolk Coast.

Good Luck!

3 hours ago, reb said:

Spent an hour tidying the unit with MsReb.

20230116_162157.thumb.jpg.36b97bd00b5ae8bedaa07fd757a87343.jpg

I know it's still an absolute tip, but it was *really* bad before.

The amount of shite I swept off the floor is astounding, especially since we only really did a quarter of it.

id love a place just too look at my crap and polish my tools.

47 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

I want to say because the guide tube and fork.

Peugeot 1.4/1.6 the older engine (tu?)

106 /206? 

I thought the guide tube would give it away to an eagle-eyed person :)

Correct marque, but it's actually a C3 Picasso, 1.6 HDi. 

Goes to show they've been using the same setup for years

The Picasso decided to be French this evening

Thought I'd pop out to install its battery that I've been meaning to refit after charging it up a couple of weeks ago. 

It was not happy, started it up and it was running on 2 or 3

*Beep beep* "engine faulty" and the EML duly illuminated 

Of course, being French it fixed itself 30 seconds later, left it running for 20 minutes and then it was fine all that time 🤷

Probably down to the cold, and the fact I've left it there for a few months but it shouldn't misfire like that 🤔

Used the Jeep to get to work today as I’m in the workshop all week and will probably use it tomorrow 35 mile round trip today is the most it’s driven for over a year. Had a spare hour so I cleaned the leaves out the scuttle and heater intake so now it doesn’t steam up  inside as much. 

even managed 21mpg average!! 

I think this road was still a bit icy at 11 o'clock this morning. 

IMG_20230117_110548.thumb.jpg.8498cc952be04e03a088de1a82bb6cf5.jpg

It is quite a steep hill out of shot to the left and there was water running down it so I suspect a burst pipe. Still it could have been worse (for everybody else, not for the Prius driver) as the other side of the road is lined with parked cars, which is why I had time to take the photo as I was waiting for traffic to come down the hill. And it's either a very sturdy barrier or the front of a Prius is very bendy. 

30 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

You want the front of your car to be pretty bendy, to absorb the force of an impact!

I realise that, but that barrier doesn't look like like it's moved at all. I guess it's the angles as well, being end on.