The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

10 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Not worth ringing round to see who'd do that round trip in a big cab - given the big on-costs and stress on vehicles and humans?

Screenshot_20230112-140914_Chrome.jpg

I've had a couple of quotes for 8 seater vans from local private hire firms that do airport transfers, the cost per trip has been around £300!!

The idea of putting them on a bus/train/coach was floated when I mentioned the fuel cost to my mrs but I feel a little guilty as they would normally make the 45-60 minute drive to Vienna and back when we fly out to them, although as she pointed out there is only two of us and six of them! They don't speak any English either so there's the possibility of losing them if we send them out on their own - although some may say that's not such a bad thing when it comes to family visits 😅

I've had a quick look at the National Express and depending on timings it's about £200-240 for the 6 of them to go from Stansted Airport to Brighton which isn't far off fuel. Megabus is a lot cheaper but they'd get dropped off in London so we'd still have to drive up and collect them.

It's mad really that it's so expensive to travel a relatively short distance in the most densely populated corner of the country. I suspect we will end up doing both journeys in the Clio and Mitsi despite wallet hammering fuel cost.

A slight whiff of hot oil prompted me to check the BMW's motor - in particular the crankcase ventilation system. These N62 engines are very sensitive - it doesn't take much to get odd smells and a smoky exhaust.20230112_135721.thumb.jpg.03e2faea8ad5a836418336a8490c4829.jpg

I pulled both diaphragms - one in each valve cover. Plenty of mayo - I was surprised as these N62 engines run very hot. They got a clean - brake cleaner and compressed air sorted out the pipework.20230112_144158.thumb.jpg.9c87e8416de560c57fb773d10d160def.jpg

Put it all back together. The diapraghms were not split but they are turning brown ( they should be orange) so they will need replacing at some point. It would appear that sometimes even a healthy motor will puff a bit.

I got bored and put a coin on the engine cover while the motor was running - it stayed upright for quite some time. It could do with new plugs but replacement looks krypton factoresque.

I would like to give a very big shout out to @Andyrew,@Six-cylinderand @Mrs6Cfor delivering a gearbox to me. Had a good chat and showed them round my hovel home on wheels. This place etc,.

Rang the garage and they can fit me in on Saturday which is good news coz I needz ma weelz yo.

8 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Had a good chat and showed them round my hovel home on wheels. 

Great company, warm welcome and even chocolates! Really nice to meet you in person and what a winner of a motorhome! I look forward to grafting some new apple trees from your neighbour as well...

Application to form a limited company has been put in. All being well (proposed name is accidentally one word off a much larger company) I'll be a powerfully built company director by the end of the week.

Next step is convincing someone to fund me/it.

My plan for the rest of the evening is to transfer the business plan from my cranium to a PDF.

Wish me luck.

2 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I would like to give a very big shout out to @Andyrew,@Six-cylinderand @Mrs6Cfor delivering a gearbox to me. Had a good chat and showed them round my hovel home on wheels. This place etc,.

Rang the garage and they can fit me in on Saturday which is good news coz I needz ma weelz yo.

It turns out @puddlethumper has parked his RV in the Pensnett canal! He would be deep in trouble if it was pre 1950! 

pensnett 02 with RV.jpg

IMG20230106090058.thumb.jpg.fdd98211bfd66684f68e14ee44f2a935.jpg

IMG20221130144850.thumb.jpg.f94d1cc2bb3ddc0e35c6aa1ffe5b8f94.jpg

Bye,bye Honda.

For me it's always a sad day when you scrap a car.

This Accord had been in the family for ten years with me and then the father in law but had sat idle since the Summer. Its mot lapsed in September but still drove spot on and everything worked fine, I'm sure it would have walked another test as it's a Honda.

But the wheels needed a referb and the paint was tired and flaking in places, it's a thirsty thing too and tax is £30 a month so I took the £380 offered by Redcorn rather than faff about trying to sell it to Joe Public.

I did keep the front seats though.

Just now, Joey spud said:

Bye,bye Honda.

This Accord had been in the family for ten years with me and then the father in law but had sat idle since the Summer. Its mot lapsed in September but still drove spot on and everything worked fine, I'm sure it would have walked another test as it's a Honda.

But the wheels needed a referb and the paint was tired and flaking in places, it's a thirsty thing too and tax is £30 a month so I took the £380 offered by Redcorn rather than faff about trying to sell it to Joe Public.

IMG20221130144759.jpg

That seems a shame - I bet someone here would've had that. That said, it could be a bit more rotten underneath than it seems on top

I got the serial number off the cat and checked up and it wasn't worth anywhere near as much as the internet tells you.

I think its value with a fresh mot was only around £600 to £700 so add in an the MOT, getting the tyres to seal on the rims and going through and cleaning/ freeing the brakes etc then there's not much profit to be had.

And just selling it for scrap removes the grief of dealing with the Ass holes that seem to currently thrive in these parts.

I did think about offering it here but the last time i tried to sell on here the opinion was i was in the arse end of nowhere (Kent).

A colleague with a 16-plate Audi A3 often tells me that he'll never buy a French car because they're unreliable.

This evening, a small queue had formed on the way home from work. I thought perhaps there were some temporary lights in place. Got to the front of the queue and saw my colleague's A3 was the cause of the obstruction, just sat there with its hazard lights flashing.

It turned out his state-of-the-art dual-clutch S-Tronic gearbox decided to completely lose drive and he has no breakdown cover. 

I towed his car back to the yard using my unreliable 25-year-old French car. Only just got back home having dropped him off at his house. 

13 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

It turned out his state-of-the-art dual-clutch S-Tronic gearbox decided to completely lose drive and he has no breakdown cover. 

Not sure it's quite state of the art! Depending on the engine it's either a 7spd (lesser powered engines) released 16 years ago or the 6spd (higher powered) from 20 years ago (TT Mk1 was the first to have it).

12 hours ago, Joey spud said:

Bye,bye Honda.

WTF? You've shot yourself in the foot for four figures surely... tourer as well.

On 11/01/2023 at 22:52, SiC said:

Just found out Moss in Manchester has closed down permanently. Bit of a shame.

Screenshot_20230111-230018.thumb.png.9afa11a2208cf2e25cdeaf00a6b7c5e3.png

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/about-moss-manchester

I'm proper upset about this branch closing. They're close to my house and even though a few of the cars I've had were not officially supported by Moss, thanks to the BL parts bin they often had what I was looking for. The staff were wonderfully helpful every time I went in and put some random P6, Allegro or Marina part on the counter and said "do you have this?" they'd take the time to figure out what it was and they usually had it. Even when the Moss website said an item was out of stock, 9 times out of 10 they had it here.  Most recently I needed a bulb holder for the Marina tail lights, and they figured out what other car used it and five minutes later I walked out with one and fitted it in their car park.

I saved a fortune on postage collecting large items like body panels and windscreens here, and a physical location was also useful for the tiny stuff like when I somehow lost one wheel nut, I was able to get another one within the hour. 

9 hours ago, New POD said:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC755183/officers

Amazing what information is available on free government websites 

Well aware, your point?

The only thing there that wasn't publically available already is the address. So I suppose some weirdo might turn up, but they wouldn't achieve much.

On 12/01/2023 at 14:05, lesapandre said:

Screenshot_20230112-135944_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2899d6b8362e36aacf88553eb1dbd010.jpg

The dream...and reality...

20221218_113452.thumb.jpg.b5000d46519632993d44bb4b1000d603.jpg20221218_113502.thumb.jpg.4774de80061b1c464619fa27eeaeb3e8.jpg20221218_113532.thumb.jpg.4ded7d528a7e94e2ea735d5829a78a68.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/12/halfords-shares-tumble-shortage-mechanics-profits

Investment advice: sell.

I have no evidence of it but I bet they don't pay and are ****'s to work for.

Properly managed this is probably a good business but I bet it's being run by the usual cheese-paring-mingebags.

£60M profit on an operation this big is pitiful:

"As of June 2021, Halfords has 404 stores, 3 Performance Cycling stores (trading as Tredz and Giant), 374 garages (trading as Halfords Autocentres, McConechys and Universal Tyres and Autocentres) and 143 mobile service vans (trading as Halfords Mobile Expert and Tyres on the Drive) and 192 Commercial vans."

So ignoring the commercial vans, that is 924 outlets.

£60m ÷ 924 is just under £65k pa. Or less than £1250  profit a week per outlet.

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

So ignoring the commercial vans, that is 924 outlets.

£60m ÷ 924 is just under £65k pa. Or less than £1250  profit a week per outlet.

Yea I did think of doing the calculations - but that just about sums it up. 

Or another way...I think (maths was never my strong point...but using 'freakanomics')

With 32 million-ish cars on the road and 924 outlets, each store (ignoring cycles and caravan etc), has about 35,000-ish customer cars to serve.

Dividing this 35,000 potential customer cars base-line by the annual store profit... this vast motoring combine is managing to take £1.86 per car spend per car in the UK marketplace per annum for parts and services.

Absolutely laughable... given Halfords store reach nationally, how a lot of local garages have closed down, the need for annual Mot's, the loss of most smaller car spares businesses and the online and warehouse retailing of cars which all require subsequent maintenance and servicing somewhere... etc etc.

It's a publicly quoted company - with a fairly gloomy trajectory. 

My hunch would be it would be bought by a private equity company in due course for a knockdown price.

Screenshot_20230114-131449_Chrome.jpg.92d33076cc6d036b62c24ce5e9a950d3.jpg