The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I replaced the rotted aluminium/rubber trim on the 75. It's only taken me nearly 3 years. 

20230107_143438.thumb.jpg.23e9e95622f484ee225696b8148e4228.jpg

I sprayed the inside of the doors with silicone grease to try and stop freezing.

Couldn't get the button to stay in though.

437156630_Screenshot_20230107-155705_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.4703c73e75e998ca71ceb1bb3f9553be.jpg

Oh, well, it doesn't have one now!

While I was looking under the red 93 in case I'd dropped a clip, I noticed that here, where there was once metal, there is now only underseal. The brown bits could be pulled away in my hand.

20230107_164427.thumb.jpg.88d879c94c0f7c4304484096f2990f28.jpg

No idea why the picture is upside down.

This was fine last summer so that's happened fast. The brown one went in exactly the same place too (that was fixed).

I spent ages last weekend and now today footering with the rear brakes on the Cav.

What was supposed to be just drums ended up being shoes, fitting kit and the handbrake cables as the shoes fell to bits. With new shoes on I couldn't get a handbrake(Cable had no adjustment left). Cylinders fine so I left them. 

Never done drum brakes before. Don't think I want to again. What a palava. I had to mess about something awful with them to get the auto adjusters to play ball. I must have had them off about 4 times each side (including taking them off again to do the handbrake cables). 

Discs, pads and calipers for me please! 

PXL_20221231_115652456.thumb.jpg.12c898749327786bc2aea66e9d05fb77.jpg

PXL_20221231_152052008.thumb.jpg.c4012953217088ee40e4585afa59e5ef.jpgPXL_20230107_161612232.thumb.jpg.bc3cefa933614826def9794dd96935f4.jpg

PXL_20230107_161643051.thumb.jpg.26185d2739253f851cab2b946b3c4c2c.jpg

I knew there was a pretty insane engine in some WW2 US tanks and I've been reading up on it and it's very interesting. Chrysler took their reliable and proven flathead 6 also used in Dodge and Plymouth and bolted 5 of them together and so the Chrysler A57 multibank engine was born. 30 cylinders 20.5 liters and 276kw was the result.

1363024554_Screenshot2023-01-0722_09_40.thumb.png.48948acdd654c7f70b4b0fb8e2e0f007.png

7 hours ago, Surface Rust said:

Festival of the Dead, 2nd July, Stamford, Lincs.

No, not the start scene from a Bond film, but a car show featuring only defunct car brands.

https://www.classiclineinsurance.co.uk/festival-of-the-dead/

festival of the_
Lincolnshire location
Run by a classic insurance company

Sounds familiar. 

image.png.6683a527b8c6b39d3fe8d21c91cac50a.png

Bet it ends up being full of Rover lickers. 

17 hours ago, PicantoJon said:

Says he couldn't fit a baby seat in the back of the Aygo... I disagree, surely with enough mechanical persuasion it will! 

My son, has a W reg 1.6 mk4 Astra with just 65k on the clock. Less than 3k miles a year average.  He's saying he might have to move it on.

1) He works in Birmingham city centre and it's not emisions zone compatible.

2) It's not ISO fit child seat compatible. So ? 

3) His wife doesn't drive manuals.  

I have no use for a 3rd Astra, but its tempting. 

Except 4) I do 500 miles a week.

5) it doesn't have cruise control.

I kind of look back 18 years, to when I started going to the VBO show at billing aquadrone and think, well it would definitely have put all the 22 year old mk2 cavaliers to shame. Maybe I should get rid of the MX5 and replace it in the garage with my father in laws old car, and only bring it out for shows on sunny days 

Now that we have shitcanned the skateparks at weekends (my son has now joined 2 different basketball clubs which are currently on weekday evenings)  I have a bit more time on my hands. It was also a mild, dry and sunny day, very unlike mid January!

A slightly less frustrating day on the fleet today than yesterday.

I wanted to try one more time with fiddling with the airbag plugs on the 75 and I thought I would take the seat out to get better access to study them. I collected my Torx plus set from ECP yesterday and found today that they DONT FIT. It was a toss-up between those and Ribe bits but I chose the former after studying views on the 75 pages. Roverists eh?

Anyway, I risked it for a biscuit with a standard Torx as I knew the seats had been out before and the previous owner was a conscienceous sort. They were tight but came out without fuss.20230108_113606.thumb.jpg.dbb619293b1d5ae4b83bf19a590e5639.jpg

With the seat tipped, I noticed a different plug (black/yellow, foremost in the below picture) that I had no way of seeing otherwise. I unplugged and plugged it and...success!

20230108_113155.thumb.jpg.fb5f49c65bbcf23880f364677e0df7bb.jpg

20230108_113640.thumb.jpg.d1d196ece233ad010fae356da8fbf103.jpg

I still need to sort this properly so the connectors which are in the post won't go to waste.

I checked all the bulbs, horn, lights and washers and it's good to go for the MOT on Thursday.

I also took the NSR doorcard off again as it didn't fit very well and the missing button just made it look unloved. Turns out you need to rotate the green peg and it will then accept the rod with a bit of persuasion. I then moved the clips for the perimeter of the doorcard around so where the missing one should be is on the bottom rather than a top corner and it now all fits and looks like it should. Still a shame the interior handle bezel is held in with blue tack but nobody else will know.

20230108_120348.thumb.jpg.a8b7d7c0691ac5369f19f8479e26421a.jpg

20230108_121754.thumb.jpg.1a9deff420f62968f91d2db79c3eb6b4.jpg

I looked under the nearside of both 93s, the area that is/was rotten is completely intact there, no rust at all. Good news but how does that happen? Anyway that means the brown 93 is ready for a confident MOT presentation in a few weeks as the offside was all replaced by Gingernutzz last year.

FiL still not sorted his c1 licence so funbus hasn't moved since I drove it home, so I said last week we'd take it out Saturday,  we'll monsoon and hurricance delayed it till today.. trip to New Romney, stroll on the stones and for a cup of tea in fun bus, up to the chippy for food, and eaten in a lay-by up the road..

20230108_115026.jpg

20230108_115055.jpg

20230108_115259.jpg

Just now, stuboy said:

FiL still not sorted his c1 licence so funbus hasn't moved since I drove it home, so I said last week we'd take it out Saturday,  we'll monsoon and hurricance delayed it till today.. trip to New Romney, stroll on the stones and for a cup of tea in fun bus, up to the chippy for food, and eaten in a lay-by up the road..

20230108_115026.jpg

20230108_115055.jpg

20230108_115259.jpg

20230108_135945.jpg

20230108_122955.jpg

20230108_122935.jpg

9 minutes ago, stuboy said:

20230108_115026.jpg

20230108_115055.jpg

20230108_115259.jpg

I bet parallel parking is fun in town.

3 hours ago, stuboy said:

on the subject of hard labour... whats better the 1.7 dti or 2.2 dti

The 1.7dti is a good engine, i feel its got plenty of poke for average driving. Tho the two i own are very very different. 

The silver car , higer miles drives lovely with a good pull upto and past 4k rpm. 

The black car 30k less miles is pretty laggy and stuggles when giving it some stick. 4k and its pretty flat. 

Its unknown if the silver car has been remapped or the black car is just clagged up from being giffered around most of its life. 

Got very little done this weekend due to the shite weather, but I have been having a tinker with the Visa carb - took it to bits, cleaned it out and put it back together with a new float and float valve, diaphragm and gaskets.  The rebuild kit I got appears to have been for a 2CV - the jets that came with it are smaller than the ones in the carb (and the main jet is completely different), and the gasket 'twixt carb top and body, while exactly the same size and shape, had a couple of minor holes missing which I had to make.  The rest of it was all good though, although the replacement base gasket is open between the two chokes where the original had them separated, but I don't imagine that'll make any difference.

I am slightly puzzled about one thing - there's an inlet (or outlet?) at the base of the carb which didn't have anything connected to it - what does this do?  Is it an overflow and if so should it be connected to something?  It's the arrowed bit in the photo (not my carb, this is a shiny new one that I found a picture of on the internet).

carburateur-double-corps-solex-visa-26-35-csic.thumb.jpg.c942315904a01d6cb6ea23ea590631ec.jpg

I had been hoping to get the electronic ignition module mounted properly over the weekend too, but I'm fecked if I'm drilling and tapping holes when it's blowing a gale and pissing with rain, so that's going to have to wait a little longer.

I went out in the Toyota on Saturday and noticed that the reversing camera has become intermittent - that's another thing to look at when the weather is better.  I think it's probably either the transmitter or receiver that's playing up, I may have to have a play with the wiring.  The camera on the Maxus is still working fine, despite having a longer distance to transmit.  I think I might have to replace the driver's window regulator on the Toyota at some point soon as well - it's making some funny noises and it took several minutes of fiddling the other day to get it to wind up fully.  Not an issue at this time of year but come the summer I'd like to be able to have the window down without worrying whether it's going to come back up again.

Earlier in the week I emptied 2/3 of a can of cavity wax into the Rover's sills and the inside of the rear trailing arms (which are a bit of a rust trap and difficult to get hold of for the estates).  Not that there's been much salt on the roads this winter yet, but I do want to try and keep it solid for as long as possible.  Most of the rest of the can was used on the Innocenti - I sprayed it up inside the chassis rails and I also squirted some between the skins of the bonnet - that's been getting gradually rustier for a few years now and I want to try and prevent it from getting too much worse as I imagine locating a replacement will be fun*.  I'm going to order another can of wax as I want to do the Toyota and the Visa at some point soon as well.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I am slightly puzzled about one thing - there's an inlet (or outlet?) at the base of the carb which didn't have anything connected to it - what does this do?  Is it an overflow and if so should it be connected to something?  It's the arrowed bit in the photo (not my carb, this is a shiny new one that I found a picture of on the internet).

It looks like a vacuum connection, which I would guess is for a sensor on the original ignition system.  Blank it off if not required for the 123.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Got very little done this weekend due to the shite weather, but I have been having a tinker with the Visa carb - took it to bits, cleaned it out and put it back together with a new float and float valve, diaphragm and gaskets.  The rebuild kit I got appears to have been for a 2CV - the jets that came with it are smaller than the ones in the carb (and the main jet is completely different), and the gasket 'twixt carb top and body, while exactly the same size and shape, had a couple of minor holes missing which I had to make.  The rest of it was all good though, although the replacement base gasket is open between the two chokes where the original had them separated, but I don't imagine that'll make any difference.

carburateur-double-corps-solex-visa-26-35-csic.thumb.jpg.c942315904a01d6cb6ea23ea590631ec.jpg

I had been hoping to get the electronic ignition module mounted properly over the weekend too, but I'm fecked if I'm drilling and tapping holes when it's blowing a gale and pissing with rain, so that's going to have to wait a little longer.

I went out in the Toyota on Saturday and noticed that the reversing camera has become intermittent - that's another thing to look at when the weather is better.  I think it's probably either the transmitter or receiver that's playing up, I may have to have a play with the wiring.  The camera on the Maxus is still working fine, despite having a longer distance to transmit.  I think I might have to replace the driver's window regulator on the Toyota at some point soon as well - it's making some funny noises and it took several minutes of fiddling the other day to get it to wind up fully.  Not an issue at this time of year but come the summer I'd like to be able to have the window down without worrying whether it's going to come back up again.

Earlier in the week I emptied 2/3 of a can of cavity wax into the Rover's sills and the inside of the rear trailing arms (which are a bit of a rust trap and difficult to get hold of for the estates).  Not that there's been much salt on the roads this winter yet, but I do want to try and keep it solid for as long as possible.  Most of the rest of the can was used on the Innocenti - I sprayed it up inside the chassis rails and I also squirted some between the skins of the bonnet - that's been getting gradually rustier for a few years now and I want to try and prevent it from getting too much worse as I imagine locating a replacement will be fun*.  I'm going to order another can of wax as I want to do the Toyota and the Visa at some point soon as well.

I wasn't aware that the trailing arms rotted on the 75, its normally the upper arms which are the same for saloon and tourer. You can get them from DMGRS.