The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, SiC said:

Low fuel rail pressure rarely ends well. That's the age where they are at risk of a Bosch CP4 fuel pumps implode themselves. If it has one, then it's dieing.Take off the fuel pressure regulator on the pump and if it's full of metal then it's probably too late. This pump is a piston pump of a new design (at the time) to replace previous rotor pumps. Unfortunately Bosch fucked up and they chew themselves apart internally after so long. Was a class action lawsuit in the USA over them.

Almost a year ago our A4 started flashing it's glow plug light to warn of error codes with my wife driving on the motorway. Started to loose power but she was turning off the junction anyway. About 2 miles down the road from the light coming on it cut out and didn't restart. Had it towed back, I read the codes, low fuel rail pressure. It had been loosing power randomly while driving for a good few months before that - I put it down to a malfunctioning EGR. I didn't know about the CP4 ticking time bombs at the time.

Looked like this under the fuel regulator.

PXL_20211223_110107765.thumb.jpg.73d7c369f4a5d92bf33c650f4722acbe.jpgPXL_20211223_110059401.thumb.jpg.864a8fd59fa9489d20a10dfa77a12df4.jpgPXL_20211223_110609913.thumb.jpg.19e15050e770e750ad00a228461d8071.jpgPXL_20211223_110453892.thumb.jpg.c0f5eb22357ce0820edd38bbc2b1e2a9.jpg

To fix that required replacing the pump, fuel rail and injectors. Any dirt or debris kills the injectors due to the massively high pressure they run at. Probably the two low pressure pumps too and the fuel system definitely thoroughly flushing through. I priced up second hand parts and it was coming around to a grand. Then labour. I could have stuffed a second hand engine in but the fuel system pipes still would have needed flushing.

If any remains in the system and it gets to the pump, game over again. I chose to scrap the car as it was at least going to be a £1.5k lottery that could have still resulted in a dead car.

PXL_20220113_111636955.thumb.jpg.ecf24c75f5151a244728fbd259d1f642.jpg

It might not be that but it's very much at the at risk age (2008-2013) if it has that design pump. Even out of that age bracket it's not unknown for them to fail.

That screen should be completely clean as it's already been through the main bulk filter. If it's not, there are major problems.

Sorry.

Fingers crossed it's something simple and cheap like a faulty regulator, pressure sensor, tank low pressure pickup pump or main bulk fuel filter faulty/not changed. Injector Leak down test will tell if one or more of the injectors are failing and is a useful test too. Failing injector will cause a low fuel rail pressure fault. 

Cheers, the regulator is held on with 2x bolts, I assume that with engine off, there isn't any residual pressure behind it? Or is there a procedure for depressuring the system? I'm conscious that I don't want a tattoo made of diesel...

4 hours ago, wesacosa said:

cheers, but it was a Riva I was thinking of rather than an early one. Maybe it was on FB or somewhere else.. think I spend too much time looking at crap car forums!

I recall @HMC bought a Lada estate a short while back, I think that was one of the later ones?

6 hours ago, Bren said:

Car goes into BMW tomorrow for a recall. Just checked in electronically - offered nitrogen in my tyres, air con clean. No thank you. It's 20 years old.

I don’t think the public ( for once) have been stupid enough to fall for the nitrogen scam. Maybe they should try “Oxygen less air” instead.

Or what about filling your tyres with helium, makes you car lighter, so faster and better mpg!

I booked the 75 in for its MOT on 12th January (it doesn't expire until 9th February however I like to be organised) but had forgotten that I needed to sort* the airbag light. Normally that entails a quick squeeze of the yellow connectors under each front seat which extinguishes the light for a few days, enough to get it through the MOT. 

However it was having none of it, because I really should have fixed this properly years ago. The permanent solution is to cut off the plugs and fit more robust items, which have been duly ordered from ebay.

Just as well I checked the fixings holding each front seat in.

20230106_154244.thumb.jpg.de89463206f91bbbe858c116f87fd1a3.jpg

After test fitting what I thought was the correct T50 Torx, it was still quite loose. Who knew that Rover didn't use these, but instead used a Torx T50 Plus?

I am glad I didn't try and take the seat out with a standard T50, which on inspection, has much thinner 'leaves' whereas a Plus is chunkier and will fill the rounded edges of the fixing. A single T50 + was about £15 or a full set was £25 which also included some 'security' Torx which have a hole in the middle for a fixing which will reject a normal Torx. I was blocked by these recently when trying to remove a number plate circuit board from a Tourer as they protect the latch for the hinged glass section from being compromised from the outside. I collect that from ECP on Monday.

I doubt I'll have all this done by next Thursday as I simply don't have the time so I might send a substitute along in the form of the brown 93 which has an MOT due date a few days later than the 75 anyway. 

Filed under 'Heritage'.

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Out of interest, which ones did you go for? Must do something about mine, it's annoying me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142437270732?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=r6kzCbk-Tvy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZRO7rX7WRjq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

These were recommended on the FB page, 4 way ones in particular, presumably because they're more robust (only 2 connector ports are needed though)

32 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142437270732?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=r6kzCbk-Tvy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZRO7rX7WRjq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

These were recommended on the FB page, 4 way ones in particular, presumably because they're more robust (only 2 connector ports are needed though)

The only issue with those connectors for airbag connections is that they don't short the pins together when disconnected. If you look down airbag connectors, you will see that they do this. Its to prevent any static build up or such accidentially triggering them when disconnected.

Notice the two pins and the additional spring contact pressing on them that connects to the busbar strip at the top to short them. This moves out of the way when plugged in so electrical contact can be made with the airbag.

airbagconnector.jpg.63cca569493f97f5e546e1a7b7d98ec1.jpg

https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/Technical/Car-electronics-and-electrics/Car-airbag-system-3083/

One owner from new garage find!
7e3e59c806976459718d10a7c748e6f1.jpg

It's been stuck in there for 6 months in my parents garage as they've had building work done. However the brickys have not only got brick dust all over it, they disconnected the car battery charger and didn't plug it back in. So the battery went completely flat.

The engine in these is obviously in the back as mid engine, so the battery is under the Frunk. However that's electrically controlled and with no power it's not possible to activate it.

Handly Porsche envisaged this being a problem. In the fusebox is a pull out terminal you can connect a jumper lead to. This allows power to pop the bonnet.

Much better than my earlier Boxster (same problem in the early 911 too) where the official way is to have to make a harness to wire into the fusebox.
db1ef131015978819c68d9a17e3bbcbb.jpg

Once that was done, the battery could be accessed. Except the car was very upset at that point and had the alarm siren going off. Bloody loud trying to replace the battery with that going off. Not surprising given it's by the battery. I found some ear defenders that made it bareble.
271cbcbc4daa24ac1e9e3479e9ca25c7.jpg

Battery changed, ignition on and the usual Christmas tree light up from a replaced battery. It got put away on a satisfying 64k exactly.
81a777eb845c46b9a4753629e342e53b.jpg

Pulled it out of the garage. Did the usual ESP trick of turning the wheels to both end stops and a short drive forward to clear that warning.
4d2cdffb80656dd8c0d21d8719a340e3.jpg

I went for a drive with my mum and then swapped for her to drive back.
"I really like my car and I don't want to sell it! You can borrow it though..."

Damn. I was hoping she'd finally let me buy it! I don't mind driving it but it's a bit different driving someone else's pride and joy. If it's your own and you prang it, imo it doesn't feel as bad. However if it's someone elses then I'd feel incredibly guilty, even if it wasn't my fault.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

The only issue with those connectors for airbag connections is that they don't short the pins together when disconnected. If you look down airbag connectors, you will see that they do this. Its to prevent any static build up or such accidentially triggering them when disconnected.

Notice the two pins and the additional spring contact pressing on them that connects to the busbar strip at the top to short them. This moves out of the way when plugged in so electrical contact can be made with the airbag.

airbagconnector.jpg.63cca569493f97f5e546e1a7b7d98ec1.jpg

https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/Technical/Car-electronics-and-electrics/Car-airbag-system-3083/

Really necessary? Have dis and reconnected without issue. Temporarily.

4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Really necessary? Have dis and reconnected without issue. Temporarily.

Depends if you want to risk them accidentally going off. The risk is low but not zero without the correct connector. It's for this reason I point it out.

I.e. with that aftermarket connector without the shorting, you need to be extra careful handling the pyrotechnic based airbags. Unlikely to discharge but if they do, it can cause a nasty injury depending what the deployment impacts on you. 

4 minutes ago, PicantoJon said:

Spotted an unfamiliar car in the car park at work this morning. Turns out Work* Mate has traded his trusty Ayego for a 66 plate Astra diesel. 

In short, debating whether or not to disown him... 

We need to know his logic before we can advise.  He may need to attend a disciplinary hearing. He can bring a friend 

23 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Will he have any friends now?

I don't know much about the Astra K but every other person I know with an Astra J has a manual diesel and not one has a bad thing to say, whereas me and the wife have petrol autos and her 1.6 is a little underpowered.  

The body styling only really changed in a subtle way from J to K.  

So update on the Bluebird. Matrix is out and the radiator place can’t find a core for it. A lot of digging done by me and it seems it’s cross compatible with Audi 100 cores of the same era and the measurements are pretty much identical, and I believe the pipe work is too.

He said he’ll attempt a repair but it’s close to the metal fin so isn’t sure but fair play to him for wanting to try. I think, fingers crossed my digging and research will prove fruitful as I am fairly confident so long as the sizings are there or there about a it should be a good replacement. 

He’s advised to just get a new radiator which he’s sourced for around £90 which is good too as the core was too expensive. My garage have been absolutely sound. Just hoping it all comes together nicely as I’ve not seen it for a couple weeks!

1 hour ago, Pat Earrings said:

So update on the Bluebird. Matrix is out and the radiator place can’t find a core for it. A lot of digging done by me and it seems it’s cross compatible with Audi 100 cores of the same era and the measurements are pretty much identical, and I believe the pipe work is too.

He said he’ll attempt a repair but it’s close to the metal fin so isn’t sure but fair play to him for wanting to try. I think, fingers crossed my digging and research will prove fruitful as I am fairly confident so long as the sizings are there or there about a it should be a good replacement. 

He’s advised to just get a new radiator which he’s sourced for around £90 which is good too as the core was too expensive. My garage have been absolutely sound. Just hoping it all comes together nicely as I’ve not seen it for a couple weeks!

Well it isn’t lol. He’s just sent me the matrix and the pipe work is different entirely, pointing outwards.

fuck sake.

praying he can repair it.

I’ve stuck a thread on ask a shiter with the photos of it