The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

What happens if you have a car stuck in limp mode and you just keep driving it? A colleague has a W211 E220cdi which has thrown fault codes for a while relating to fuel rail pressure, he's cleared them as they come on. Initially intermittently, now permanently.

The car has now gone into, and stays in, limp mode. RPM restricted to 2500rpm, seemingly no boost. He's driving it to and from work, a 12 mile mix of local roads and motorway. Slowly. 

Codes seem to indicate that its the filter (?) on the HP fuel pump, the part can be bought separately from the HP pump itself (which is just as well, because a recon fuel pump is the wrong side of £2k for the part alone).

Anyway, are there consequences of continuing driving it? Keen to help him, or at least give helpful suggestions. Not flush with cash currently to get the part, or farm it out to someone to fix.

18 minutes ago, Stanky said:

What happens if you have a car stuck in limp mode and you just keep driving it? A colleague has a W211 E220cdi which has thrown fault codes for a while relating to fuel rail pressure, he's cleared them as they come on. Initially intermittently, now permanently.

The car has now gone into, and stays in, limp mode. RPM restricted to 2500rpm, seemingly no boost. He's driving it to and from work, a 12 mile mix of local roads and motorway. Slowly. 

Codes seem to indicate that its the filter (?) on the HP fuel pump, the part can be bought separately from the HP pump itself (which is just as well, because a recon fuel pump is the wrong side of £2k for the part alone).

Anyway, are there consequences of continuing driving it? Keen to help him, or at least give helpful suggestions. Not flush with cash currently to get the part, or farm it out to someone to fix.

It'll depend what the fault is, but I wouldn't want to keep driving it with a fuel-related fault. At best, it'll keep going for now and he'll need a new filter. At worst, it breaks up or kills the pump and sends bits of metal throughout the system, buggering it right down to the injector nozzles. Or anything inbetween

Edit: that worst case might be unlikely, but it is a really bad outcome if it happens. I don't know how much a new filter is, but I changed the one on my BMW 320d recently because it had a very occasional stutter and I suspected filter. 30 minutes and a Bosch filter was about £22 (I think) from a trusted ebay seller. So assuming it's not too different, this might not be the end of the world to just fix 

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

He looses a drag race with a Citroen Ami.

55 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

It'll depend what the fault is, but I wouldn't want to keep driving it with a fuel-related fault. At best, it'll keep going for now and he'll need a new filter. At worst, it breaks up or kills the pump and sends bits of metal throughout the system, buggering it right down to the injector nozzles. Or anything inbetween

Edit: that worst case might be unlikely, but it is a really bad outcome if it happens. I don't know how much a new filter is, but I changed the one on my BMW 320d recently because it had a very occasional stutter and I suspected filter. 30 minutes and a Bosch filter was about £22 (I think) from a trusted ebay seller. So assuming it's not too different, this might not be the end of the world to just fix 

Sorry, I was wrong, its not the fuel filter, its the pressure control valve on the HP pump, this I think?

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/delphi/18110344

The codes he was getting related to low pressure in the fuel rail, which is probably better than overpressure? If I have understood correctly, this is after the HP pump, but before the fuel rail so if my logic is correct then if it carks it, the car just stops as no fuel can get through, rather than filling the injectors with swarf and being an economic writeoff.

52 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

He looses a drag race with a Citreon Ami.

He's already said its a struggle to keep up with motorway traffic, but if he loses a TLGP to a mobility scooter then its going to get noted in his annual review!

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

What happens if you have a car stuck in limp mode and you just keep driving it?

It breaks and they lose sleep trying to find someone/something else at blame for it

😅

Anyway, to be more helpful - fuel filter change wouldn't go amiss being a service item. Low fuel pressure can be caused by excessive leak back. Leak off test would be the next step after a filter change 

7 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It breaks and they lose sleep trying to find someone/something else at blame for it

😅

Anyway, to be more helpful - fuel filter change wouldn't go amiss being a service item. Low fuel pressure can be caused by excessive leak back. Leak off test would be the next step after a filter change 

Thanks, I did suggest this as a first port of call, doesn't look like a total bastard to do tbh. 

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

Is it a Delphi injector pump? PF Jones are listing a recon at £300

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/mercedes-e-class-220-cdi-2.2-2006-2009-reconditioned-delphi-common-rail-pump-9421a030a.html

6 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Thanks, his is the 2013 170bhp version I think? Sadly, £300 is just as out of reach as £80 for the valve is currently. 

21 hours ago, brownnova said:

I’ve done it the last three or four years, but I really don’t have the capacity to do it this year.

There did seem to be a lack of enthusiasm on the calendar threads this year I noticed… sadly… 

I’ll post a thread to all for a willing victim volunteer, happy to talk anyone through the process.

I have had to make my own calendar, I downloaded the 12 monthly pages for free off the internet, added my own pictures and printed it. Being properly cheapskate I have just punched holes in the sheets and hung it using a piece of cardboard rather than buying a binding kit.

IMG_20230104_174358 broad.jpg

51 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have had to make my own calendar, I downloaded the 12 monthly pages for free off the internet, added my own pictures and printed it. Being properly cheapskate I have just punched holes in the sheets and hung it using a piece of cardboard rather than buying a binding kit.

IMG_20230104_174358 broad.jpg

Now that is a true Autoshite calendar!

3 hours ago, Stanky said:

Thanks, his is the 2013 170bhp version I think? Sadly, £300 is just as out of reach as £80 for the valve is currently. 

Low fuel rail pressure rarely ends well. That's the age where they are at risk of a Bosch CP4 fuel pumps implode themselves. If it has one, then it's dieing.Take off the fuel pressure regulator on the pump and if it's full of metal then it's probably too late. This pump is a piston pump of a new design (at the time) to replace previous rotor pumps. Unfortunately Bosch fucked up and they chew themselves apart internally after so long. Was a class action lawsuit in the USA over them.

Almost a year ago our A4 started flashing it's glow plug light to warn of error codes with my wife driving on the motorway. Started to loose power but she was turning off the junction anyway. About 2 miles down the road from the light coming on it cut out and didn't restart. Had it towed back, I read the codes, low fuel rail pressure. It had been loosing power randomly while driving for a good few months before that - I put it down to a malfunctioning EGR. I didn't know about the CP4 ticking time bombs at the time.

Looked like this under the fuel regulator.

PXL_20211223_110107765.thumb.jpg.73d7c369f4a5d92bf33c650f4722acbe.jpgPXL_20211223_110059401.thumb.jpg.864a8fd59fa9489d20a10dfa77a12df4.jpgPXL_20211223_110609913.thumb.jpg.19e15050e770e750ad00a228461d8071.jpgPXL_20211223_110453892.thumb.jpg.c0f5eb22357ce0820edd38bbc2b1e2a9.jpg

To fix that required replacing the pump, fuel rail and injectors. Any dirt or debris kills the injectors due to the massively high pressure they run at. Probably the two low pressure pumps too and the fuel system definitely thoroughly flushing through. I priced up second hand parts and it was coming around to a grand. Then labour. I could have stuffed a second hand engine in but the fuel system pipes still would have needed flushing.

If any remains in the system and it gets to the pump, game over again. I chose to scrap the car as it was at least going to be a £1.5k lottery that could have still resulted in a dead car.

PXL_20220113_111636955.thumb.jpg.ecf24c75f5151a244728fbd259d1f642.jpg

It might not be that but it's very much at the at risk age (2008-2013) if it has that design pump. Even out of that age bracket it's not unknown for them to fail.

That screen should be completely clean as it's already been through the main bulk filter. If it's not, there are major problems.

Sorry.

Fingers crossed it's something simple and cheap like a faulty regulator, pressure sensor, tank low pressure pickup pump or main bulk fuel filter faulty/not changed. Injector Leak down test will tell if one or more of the injectors are failing and is a useful test too. Failing injector will cause a low fuel rail pressure fault. 

Took the XC90 for a reading on VIDA today. Turns out the ABS ring snapped and took out the sensor and that is causing the ABS light/traction control issues. That’s not too bad news… had started to convince myself it was something serious and had been to look at a Dacia Jogger… glad that’s out of my system! 

24 minutes ago, brownnova said:

That’s not too bad news… had started to convince myself it was something serious and had been to look at a Dacia Jogger… glad that’s out of my system! 

Must admit I had similar thoughts lately, reason being...

I've fixed the coolant issues on the Xedos, 6 hours and a new thermostat later, but there's still some unpleasant noise coming from the OSF.  But I've decided to just run it and see what happens.  Old cars innit.

9 hours ago, SiC said:

Low fuel rail pressure rarely ends well. That's the age where they are at risk of a Bosch CP4 fuel pumps implode themselves. If it has one, then it's dieing.Take off the fuel pressure regulator on the pump and if it's full of metal then it's probably too late. This pump is a piston pump of a new design (at the time) to replace previous rotor pumps. Unfortunately Bosch fucked up and they chew themselves apart internally after so long. Was a class action lawsuit in the USA over them.

Almost a year ago our A4 started flashing it's glow plug light to warn of error codes with my wife driving on the motorway. Started to loose power but she was turning off the junction anyway. About 2 miles down the road from the light coming on it cut out and didn't restart. Had it towed back, I read the codes, low fuel rail pressure. It had been loosing power randomly while driving for a good few months before that - I put it down to a malfunctioning EGR. I didn't know about the CP4 ticking time bombs at the time.

Looked like this under the fuel regulator.

PXL_20211223_110107765.thumb.jpg.73d7c369f4a5d92bf33c650f4722acbe.jpgPXL_20211223_110059401.thumb.jpg.864a8fd59fa9489d20a10dfa77a12df4.jpgPXL_20211223_110609913.thumb.jpg.19e15050e770e750ad00a228461d8071.jpgPXL_20211223_110453892.thumb.jpg.c0f5eb22357ce0820edd38bbc2b1e2a9.jpg

To fix that required replacing the pump, fuel rail and injectors. Any dirt or debris kills the injectors due to the massively high pressure they run at. Probably the two low pressure pumps too and the fuel system definitely thoroughly flushing through. I priced up second hand parts and it was coming around to a grand. Then labour. I could have stuffed a second hand engine in but the fuel system pipes still would have needed flushing.

If any remains in the system and it gets to the pump, game over again. I chose to scrap the car as it was at least going to be a £1.5k lottery that could have still resulted in a dead car.

PXL_20220113_111636955.thumb.jpg.ecf24c75f5151a244728fbd259d1f642.jpg

It might not be that but it's very much at the at risk age (2008-2013) if it has that design pump. Even out of that age bracket it's not unknown for them to fail.

That screen should be completely clean as it's already been through the main bulk filter. If it's not, there are major problems.

Sorry.

Fingers crossed it's something simple and cheap like a faulty regulator, pressure sensor, tank low pressure pickup pump or main bulk fuel filter faulty/not changed. Injector Leak down test will tell if one or more of the injectors are failing and is a useful test too. Failing injector will cause a low fuel rail pressure fault. 

Cheers, the regulator is held on with 2x bolts, I assume that with engine off, there isn't any residual pressure behind it? Or is there a procedure for depressuring the system? I'm conscious that I don't want a tattoo made of diesel...

4 hours ago, wesacosa said:

cheers, but it was a Riva I was thinking of rather than an early one. Maybe it was on FB or somewhere else.. think I spend too much time looking at crap car forums!

I recall @HMC bought a Lada estate a short while back, I think that was one of the later ones?

6 hours ago, Bren said:

Car goes into BMW tomorrow for a recall. Just checked in electronically - offered nitrogen in my tyres, air con clean. No thank you. It's 20 years old.

I don’t think the public ( for once) have been stupid enough to fall for the nitrogen scam. Maybe they should try “Oxygen less air” instead.

Or what about filling your tyres with helium, makes you car lighter, so faster and better mpg!

I booked the 75 in for its MOT on 12th January (it doesn't expire until 9th February however I like to be organised) but had forgotten that I needed to sort* the airbag light. Normally that entails a quick squeeze of the yellow connectors under each front seat which extinguishes the light for a few days, enough to get it through the MOT. 

However it was having none of it, because I really should have fixed this properly years ago. The permanent solution is to cut off the plugs and fit more robust items, which have been duly ordered from ebay.

Just as well I checked the fixings holding each front seat in.

20230106_154244.thumb.jpg.de89463206f91bbbe858c116f87fd1a3.jpg

After test fitting what I thought was the correct T50 Torx, it was still quite loose. Who knew that Rover didn't use these, but instead used a Torx T50 Plus?

I am glad I didn't try and take the seat out with a standard T50, which on inspection, has much thinner 'leaves' whereas a Plus is chunkier and will fill the rounded edges of the fixing. A single T50 + was about £15 or a full set was £25 which also included some 'security' Torx which have a hole in the middle for a fixing which will reject a normal Torx. I was blocked by these recently when trying to remove a number plate circuit board from a Tourer as they protect the latch for the hinged glass section from being compromised from the outside. I collect that from ECP on Monday.

I doubt I'll have all this done by next Thursday as I simply don't have the time so I might send a substitute along in the form of the brown 93 which has an MOT due date a few days later than the 75 anyway. 

Filed under 'Heritage'.