The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

As today was dry, sunny and cold I thought it would be the perfect day to swap my scabby front bumper on the couriering Caddy for a Touran one I picked up last October. As is always the case this involved faffing around with boring prep work first, painting the new bumper the right colour and bodging a few dents and scuffs first. With this all finished over Christmas it was time to fit it.

20230102_145343.thumb.jpg.5814b02b223d46b241dd50414a38f77d.jpg

Old scabby bumper that had been poorly painted in the past.

20230102_173122.thumb.jpg.25f2ae7a986d0949a353e2304a737d9f.jpg

Tada - new shiny bumper with chrome grill - not the best paint job in the world as I did it with rattle cans in the conservatory, I'm sure despite my best endeavors there will be some dog hairs stuck on somewhere.

Took me bloody ages! Hence the finished photo by torch light. A few screws were rusted solid, some had been played with before and butchered a bit - but got there in the end. Added bonus that the wiring loom for front fogs and temperature sensor were all the same so easy to swap over.

I think the joins by the front wings will need a little adjusting in daylight to line up a bit better, but it seems solid enough - I was too cold by the end and my gammy hand had stopped working altogether - the joys of getting older - I'll be as stiff as a board tomorrow!

53 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Hey, some people like having a good time in the wrexham! Who are you to judge 😛

I know, but if there is one place in the world which is not @Cavcraftapproved it is Wrexham. 

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny love it though! 

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

I know, but if there is one place in the world which is not @Cavcraftapproved it is Wrexham. 

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny love it though! 

The best way to 'have a good time in Wrexham' would be either just drive past it, or call an air strike and cause several billion pounds worth of improvements.

2 hours ago, stuboy said:

well done... more chance me growing hair on my head than my son getting a GF and even a child..

Never say never. Modern folk are taking longer to do things. Not so long ago a woman over 30,having her first child would be called an older mother,for example. 

Drained and stripped the scrappy Dolomite some more today in preparation to pull the engine. Wanted to get more done but Mrs SiC and I went out with her spending far too long trying on clothes in the shops!

Debating how to get the engine out. I could crane it out the top but I might just cut the front off and pull it out that way. Or could just drop the subframe and bring it out the bottom. Need to get the engine on a pallet ready to ship out to its new owner.

PXL_20230102_152823490.jpg

PXL_20230102_154213360.jpg

PXL_20230102_171042536.jpg

The poor 2CV had been evicted from its garage to give me space to work on the other 2CV in situ. It was looking a bit sorry for itself so rust being sunny and after a good rain I thought the ideal time to get it out and use it!

When I got inside I found that it was very very damp in there. The small hole in the roof has become a split, and the mats were sodden and there was mould on the inside of the roof and the doors… not so good. Best way to sort that was a damn good run. So one jump pack (and a few damp cloths) later.

An old ruin, and a Welsh Castle. 
6F15B934-F451-4FDD-A10A-B9BEC37F70FE.jpeg3E8C97B1-C4D1-4C91-B0C0-5BB31654F05A.jpeg

Two sleeping children in there too, the 2 year old takes any opportunity for a ride in the CeeVee!

It has now been restored back to its rightful place in the garage, it has endured half the winter outside, and I’ve done the grand total of fuck all on the other one in over a month. So it’s back to sardines with this, the other 2CV and the Yugo crammed into the double garage! 

53 minutes ago, SiC said:

Drained and stripped the scrappy Dolomite some more today in preparation to pull the engine. Wanted to get more done but Mrs SiC and I went out with her spending far too long trying on clothes in the shops!

Debating how to get the engine out. I could crane it out the top but I might just cut the front off and pull it out that way. Or could just drop the subframe and bring it out the bottom. Need to get the engine on a pallet ready to ship out to its new owner.

PXL_20230102_152823490.jpg

PXL_20230102_154213360.jpg

PXL_20230102_171042536.jpg

Crikey.. And I thought the 1500 I`d been offered was realistically too far gone.. 😂

2805202245345_0829581.jpg

On 12/29/2022 at 9:23 AM, BorniteIdentity said:

Chuffed to bits to see this once again.  Owned by the guy who runs this family garage in the next village, it had been unseen by me for about four years.

It's in perfect used condition.  Really, one of these would suit my needs better than a rough and ready hatchback.

4f470320-eb2c-440f-ac7b-86da42875ae4.jpg

df37f554-be4d-4093-9445-d972d56605f9.jpg

Has anyone on here got a Cortina fronted P100? I don't want one, just havent seen one in at least a decade..

Some news on Kent classic shows this year.

www.classicmusicandmotors.com 

I am pleased to confirm the Classic Motor Shows for 2023. We will be holding the DEAL Classic Motor & Music Show on Saturday 20th May 2023 at Betteshanger Park, Deal. The CANTERBURY Classic Motor Show on Saturday 24th June 2023 at the Canterbury Rugby Club, Canterbury and The SANDWICH Classic Motor Show on Saturday 8th July 2023 at the Sandwich Technology School, Sandwich. We will be announcing an additional show by the end of January.
All shows will include The Classic Music Show, , retro stalls, quality refreshments, children's entertainers and rides. We welcome classic club stands, individual classic exhibitors and interesting vehicles, including military, horticulture and commercial vehicles. Each entry fee includes all passengers in the vehicle and dogs are welcome on a lead.
Entry passes will be sent to you, four weeks before each show. If you would like to receive your entry by post, please include with your entry form, a stamped address A5 envelope for each show.
I know many classic owners are disappointed, as I am, the shows are not taking place on Walmer Green, Deal, Herne Bay Seafront or Tankerton Slopes, Whitstable. This is due to the current economic situation, we have been unable to attract the required sponsorship to hold the shows in public open spaces. I do hope, when the economy improves we will be able to once again hold the shows in these great locations.

I'm off work as I've finally got covid and whilst its passed, it got into my lungs which were infected from that other bugger going round, before I got it and they're well bad now just fucking coughing constantly. 

Anyhow, because of this I've been sat on the sofa all day watching shite repeats. 

Selected highlights are two episodes of The Sweeney, some Minder and I'm just watching New Tricks.

I'm starting to be glad Dennis Waterman's dead to stop him making anything else if I'm ever ill again. 

10 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Can I write the theeeeme tuuuune, sing the theeeeeme tuuuuuune? 

ImpJr got a keyboard for Christmas. Depending on how I feel I might try and learn the piano part of the Minder theme. 

I mean, I won't but its something to aim for and miss for half an hour before I put ITV4 back on. 

4 hours ago, andyberg said:

Right, I'm not that good at searching through threads so I may* have missed it, but...

Any news on the famous autoshite calendar this year? January is upon us and a suitable replacement must once again hang in pride of place.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Isn't it t'early? IIRC @brownnova is the calender guru?

58 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I don't think anyone even did calendar threads this year though.... 

I’ve done it the last three or four years, but I really don’t have the capacity to do it this year.

There did seem to be a lack of enthusiasm on the calendar threads this year I noticed… sadly… 

I’ll post a thread to all for a willing victim volunteer, happy to talk anyone through the process.

29 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Selected highlights are two episodes of The Sweeney, some Minder and I'm just watching New Tricks

I purchased The Sweeney boxed just yesterday from @dozeydustman. No more fekkin adverts for me and definitely Scotch for breakfast Saturday morning.

BBC iPlayer 'Time'. 👍

I had some coal delivered last night, did you know that you can get 150kg into a standard wheelie bin? Anywhoo, whilst I was busy concealing said bin behind its camouflage net, I heard the wuffle of something really quite interesting, manoeuvring around at the bottom of the cul de sac. Imagine my surprise when the fair wife wandered down the drive a few moments later. I'd heard our old 75, but through fresh ears.

9 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

I'm off work as I've finally got covid and whilst its passed, it got into my lungs which were infected from that other bugger going round, before I got it and they're well bad now just fucking coughing constantly. 

Anyhow, because of this I've been sat on the sofa all day watching shite repeats. 

Selected highlights are two episodes of The Sweeney, some Minder and I'm just watching New Tricks.

I'm starting to be glad Dennis Waterman's dead to stop him making anything else if I'm ever ill again. 

Watched New Tricks last night, possibly the same one, was a late episode on God knows what channel. 

36 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Watched New Tricks last night, possibly the same one, was a late episode on God knows what channel. 

New Tricks was a decent show until the characters changed. The original three guys and Amanda Redman worked well but it went down quickly when they replaced the characters. Apart from Tamsin Outhwaite , the others were decent actors but it was never the same.