The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

One's a slow, old fashioned way of getting about suitable for old duffers who smell of wee. The other is a bus.

fs1ebusbw.thumb.jpg.03bbd1c5a8915485ef1bf6dc69adc0e4.jpg

20 minutes and maybe 4 miles later, it decided it was time to stop for the day. To be fair, it's the only time it's done that since owning it, so can't complain too much. A passer by (out with his family and they had the same dog as ours!) was a Honda CB250 G5 owner and helped to try and bump start it, but it wouldn't have it. CBA walking home to get the van to come back, so pushed it the 2.5 miles back. Wasn't much of an effort luckily. Anyhow, put a spare plug in (the one in it was sootier than a black labrador that'd been coal mining for the last 15 years) and it fired straight up. Lesson learnt: carry a spare!

May be an image of motorcycle and road

Flushed with success at getting the Yamaha going again, I pulled the BSA stationary engine out and had a better go at starting that. Topped the fuel up, meddled round with the thing and after a replacement plug was found, it started first pull! No video (can't upload on here) but it sounded great

bsangine.thumb.jpg.d71c1a28b3abc9c164713c815dd05af0.jpg

This happened today.

20230101_152700.thumb.jpg.6f155e4f6e046c305d506ed985a38f28.jpg

Yep, I drove the Visa.  Only the 200 yards from the car park to the house, but it still counts - I've now officially driven it on the road.  I even got into second gear!  It's not even close to running right, the carb needs some loving and the ignition module is half-arsedly held on by two very undersized bolts, but my carb rebuild kit arrived on Friday so that'll hopefully sort one problem out, and the other will be sorted once the M7 tap I ordered arrives.

Other job today was to jack the 107 up and whip the drums off to check the state of the brake shoes, as it's occasionally been sounding a little grindy under braking recently.  The leading shoe on the offside is down to almost nothing at the bottom edge, so I'll order a new set of shoes as there's no way the existing ones will last out the MOT.  They're only about 17 quid a pair so not a major expenditure.  No doubt they'll be an utter twat to fit though, because drum brakes...

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

This happened today.

20230101_152700.thumb.jpg.6f155e4f6e046c305d506ed985a38f28.jpg

Yep, I drove the Visa.  Only the 200 yards from the car park to the house, but it still counts - I've now officially driven it on the road.  I even got into second gear!  It's not even close to running right, the carb needs some loving and the ignition module is half-arsedly held on by two very undersized bolts, but my carb rebuild kit arrived on Friday so that'll hopefully sort one problem out, and the other will be sorted once the M7 tap I ordered arrives.

Other job today was to jack the 107 up and whip the drums off to check the state of the brake shoes, as it's occasionally been sounding a little grindy under braking recently.  The leading shoe on the offside is down to almost nothing at the bottom edge, so I'll order a new set of shoes as there's no way the existing ones will last out the MOT.  They're only about 17 quid a pair so not a major expenditure.  No doubt they'll be an utter twat to fit though, because drum brakes...

Check the back of the front discs too. Mine used to rust up the discs something chronic and I had to change them a few times over the time I had the car.  Always seemed to be the inner face that ended up looking like the surface of the moon when the outside was perfect.

As today was dry, sunny and cold I thought it would be the perfect day to swap my scabby front bumper on the couriering Caddy for a Touran one I picked up last October. As is always the case this involved faffing around with boring prep work first, painting the new bumper the right colour and bodging a few dents and scuffs first. With this all finished over Christmas it was time to fit it.

20230102_145343.thumb.jpg.5814b02b223d46b241dd50414a38f77d.jpg

Old scabby bumper that had been poorly painted in the past.

20230102_173122.thumb.jpg.25f2ae7a986d0949a353e2304a737d9f.jpg

Tada - new shiny bumper with chrome grill - not the best paint job in the world as I did it with rattle cans in the conservatory, I'm sure despite my best endeavors there will be some dog hairs stuck on somewhere.

Took me bloody ages! Hence the finished photo by torch light. A few screws were rusted solid, some had been played with before and butchered a bit - but got there in the end. Added bonus that the wiring loom for front fogs and temperature sensor were all the same so easy to swap over.

I think the joins by the front wings will need a little adjusting in daylight to line up a bit better, but it seems solid enough - I was too cold by the end and my gammy hand had stopped working altogether - the joys of getting older - I'll be as stiff as a board tomorrow!

53 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Hey, some people like having a good time in the wrexham! Who are you to judge 😛

I know, but if there is one place in the world which is not @Cavcraftapproved it is Wrexham. 

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny love it though! 

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

I know, but if there is one place in the world which is not @Cavcraftapproved it is Wrexham. 

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny love it though! 

The best way to 'have a good time in Wrexham' would be either just drive past it, or call an air strike and cause several billion pounds worth of improvements.