The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well that was a Christmas I won't forget in a hurry.

Set off on Saturday morning in the Rover, got as far as Thetford and the indicators stopped working.  Pulled over to investigate, couldn't see anything obvious, then when I restarted the engine I lost the radio (and the central screen).  Then a couple of miles later the climate control started to display an error message.  Fortunately it was still putting out a bit of heat but I wasn't looking forward to the next 200 miles with no indicators.  Shortly before Bedford though everything came back to life and has been fine since.  Very odd!

On Christmas day there were 12 of us for dinner - my parents and me, plus my uncle and aunt and three cousins, and one cousin's wife and three kids.  I was dreading it a bit as the last time I saw cousin-with-a-family (Christmas 2019) his kids were a bit of a pain in the arse, but they've all grown up a lot in the intervening three years and they behaved fine.  The eldest boy in particular (just turned 12) has turned into a great kid, and very bright - other than a lengthy discussion about cars (during which we covered, inter alia, the demise of MG Rover and the ways in which Korean cars are now better than the "premium" German equivalents), we had conversations (all led by him) on, among other things, the dangers to shipping in the Gulf of Oman and the relative strengths and weaknesses of the US and Royal Navies; the best way to deprive Russia of a market for its oil; the pros and cons of the various ongoing strikes in the UK; and the evolution of the US Dollar to Sterling exchange rate since the start of the Ukrainian conflict.  It's a depressingly long time since I was 12 but I'm pretty certain I wasn't that up to speed on world affairs at that age...  I had an enjoyable catch-up with my cousin as well, reminiscing about the immaculate Mk2 Fiesta he used to own (which has since been replaced by a Morris Minor saloon, standard apart from a set of Weller wheels).  All in all it was one of the best Christmas days I've had in a long time.

On Boxing Day my brother, sister-in-law and nephew came over from France to stay with my parents for the rest of the week.  I hadn't seen them for even longer - summer of 2019 in fact.  Nephew is 5 now, he's a strange little lad in some ways but a lot of fun.  Sadly the enjoyment of being reunited was tempered somewhat when my parents received a message while we were having tea to say that one of my dad's best and oldest friends had just died suddenly of a heart attack.  It was completely out of the blue - in fact he and his wife were scheduled to head up to my parents' place on Friday to visit my brother (they are his godparents).  He was 70, so not particularly old, and although he'd had heart problems in the past he'd been doing a lot better recently.  He was still working full time (he was the senior partner in a firm of solicitors) and was reasonably active.  Trying to put a positive spin on it, he died at home, with his wife and some of his children by his side and having just enjoyed Christmas with the family, so in terms of ways to go there are worse possibilities.  It's just strange to think he's not there anymore - he's always been a part of our family's life and he and his wife were two of my favourite people in the world.  It's also made me think more about my own parents' mortality, given that they are the same age (they were all at uni together), which is kind of a depressing thought...

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Anyone know much about UPVC windows?

The small opening window in our bathroom doesn’t open. The handle just goes right round. Took the handle off tonight and that part looks fine, it’s the inner of the actual window that looks fucked. Looks as though the bit the handle spindle slots into is snapped so the handle doesn’t actually function.

Just wondered if it’s an easy DIY fix or if I need to arrange for “a man” to come in.

7F43AD32-6833-49F2-B9F1-69AC05746FB4.jpeg

Got a small window installer near you? Take the buggered metal in, they'll measure & order you a direct replacement. £20 ish.

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Anyone know much about UPVC windows?

The small opening window in our bathroom doesn’t open. The handle just goes right round. Took the handle off tonight and that part looks fine, it’s the inner of the actual window that looks fucked. Looks as though the bit the handle spindle slots into is snapped so the handle doesn’t actually function.

Just wondered if it’s an easy DIY fix or if I need to arrange for “a man” to come in.

7F43AD32-6833-49F2-B9F1-69AC05746FB4.jpeg

I know its not local to you but these guys in Derby have been a godsend to me a few times over the years https://lockfinder.co.uk/

Nothing to much trouble and really helpful, might be worth a call or email.

I have even plonked a front door on their counter while they sorted out a shagged gearbox and sliding locking thing for me.

23 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Set off on Saturday morning in the Rover, got as far as Thetford and the indicators stopped working.  Pulled over to investigate, couldn't see anything obvious, then when I restarted the engine I lost the radio (and the central screen).  Then a couple of miles later the climate control started to display an error message.  Fortunately it was still putting out a bit of heat but I wasn't looking forward to the next 200 miles with no indicators.  Shortly before Bedford though everything came back to life and has been fine since.  Very odd!

On Christmas day there were 12 of us for dinner - my parents and me, plus my uncle and aunt and three cousins, and one cousin's wife and three kids.  I was dreading it a bit as the last time I saw cousin-with-a-family (Christmas 2019) his kids were a bit of a pain in the arse, but they've all grown up a lot in the intervening three years and they behaved fine.  The eldest boy in particular (just turned 12) has turned into a great kid, and very bright - other than a lengthy discussion about cars (during which we covered, inter alia, the demise of MG Rover and the ways in which Korean cars are now better than the "premium" German equivalents), we had conversations (all led by him) on, among other things, the dangers to shipping in the Gulf of Oman and the relative strengths and weaknesses of the US and Royal Navies; the best way to deprive Russia of a market for its oil; the pros and cons of the various ongoing strikes in the UK; and the evolution of the US Dollar to Sterling exchange rate since the start of the Ukrainian conflict.  It's a depressingly long time since I was 12 but I'm pretty certain I wasn't that up to speed on world affairs at that age...  I had an enjoyable catch-up with my cousin as well, reminiscing about the immaculate Mk2 Fiesta he used to own (which has since been replaced by a Morris Minor saloon, standard apart from a set of Weller wheels).  All in all it was one of the best Christmas days I've had in a long time.

On Boxing Day my brother, sister-in-law and nephew came over from France to stay with my parents for the rest of the week.  I hadn't seen them for even longer - summer of 2019 in fact.  Nephew is 5 now, he's a strange little lad in some ways but a lot of fun.  Sadly the enjoyment of being reunited was tempered somewhat when my parents received a message while we were having tea to say that one of my dad's best and oldest friends had just died suddenly of a heart attack.  It was completely out of the blue - in fact he and his wife were scheduled to head up to my parents' place on Friday to visit my brother (they are his godparents).  He was 70, so not particularly old, and although he'd had heart problems in the past he'd been doing a lot better recently.  He was still working full time (he was the senior partner in a firm of solicitors) and was reasonably active.  Trying to put a positive spin on it, he died at home, with his wife and some of his children by his side and having just enjoyed Christmas with the family, so in terms of ways to go there are worse possibilities.  It's just strange to think he's not there anymore - he's always been a part of our family's life and he and his wife were two of my favourite people in the world.  It's also made me think more about my own parents' mortality, given that they are the same age (they were all at uni together), which is kind of a depressing thought...

I expect your 75 will have a Pektron BCU? Probably the early signs of it playing up and playing silly buggers with the relays - I'm guessing it's got the circular remote fob rather than the classis square 2-button Rover fob? 

Sorry to hear of your family's loss 

23 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Liked for the positive conversations on Christmas day,  not for the bad news about your dad's friend.  One of my Dad's friends from his Boy's Brigade passed suddenly just before Christmas as well. It was a bit of a shock as he was younger than my dad at 68 and was fit and healthy. His older brother who is 74, same as my dad is not anything like as trim which made it even more of a shock. 

I know being a 75 owner you will probably already know this, but have you checked the plenum? If so, do you have a sunroof? I sounds a bit like something has got wet.

I meant to post about this the other day, I was having a leisurely walk on Christmas evening when I happened across a vehicle completely obstructing the pavement. It was actually parked on it. I was initially infuriated at the fact someone had done something so cuntish

It piqued my interest as I noticed how large, infact wide, it was, but being dark I couldn't quite tell what it was. 

Upon closer inspection, it was only a Citroen C6! 

Was a nice spot, as I don't see that many about in the wild. The house's driveway had a French registered BMW on it so I assumed they are not owning a Citroen C6 in the UK out of coincidence :)

I became less angry, only because it was a moderately interesting car!

6 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I know being a 75 owner you will probably already know this, but have you checked the plenum? If so, do you have a sunroof? I sounds a bit like something has got wet.

The plenum is usually fine on mine - there was a tiny bit of water in the bottom a few weeks ago after we had a load of heavy rain, but I rodded the drains which got rid of it.  No sunroof on mine.  I did wonder whether the damp might have got to one of the modules though as I hadn't really used the car since the Visa collection mission.

I need to book a T4 session for it in the new year so I can get the driver's door window working again before the weather gets too warm, so when I get that done I'll ask the chap to check for any stored codes relating to the BCU.  I do have a spare, supposedly good, BCU I can fit if need be.

55 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's just strange to think he's not there anymore - he's always been a part of our family's life and he and his wife were two of my favourite people in the world.  It's also made me think more about my own parents' mortality, given that they are the same age (they were all at uni together), which is kind of a depressing thought...

My dad's 74, I'm having to start to think that way too.

21 hours ago, wuvvum said:

sorry for your loss, my xmas wasnt great with me mum of 72 being diagnosed with vascular dementia

Got too work, and they was gonna take an ambo off the road cause of non working headlamp, they tried 2 different bulbs and nothing, I swapped headlamps and still nothing, so next was the fuses to be checked and voilia it was blown, so new fuse sorted it all...

Then the bloody thing repayed me  by the blower dropping dead and rear cabin heater for the patient now won't go over 14c...

Grrrrr... parked up and vor sign in it...

20221228_112607.jpg

20221228_112624.jpg

20221228_112635.jpg

Chuffed to bits to see this once again.  Owned by the guy who runs this family garage in the next village, it had been unseen by me for about four years.

It's in perfect used condition.  Really, one of these would suit my needs better than a rough and ready hatchback.

4f470320-eb2c-440f-ac7b-86da42875ae4.jpg

df37f554-be4d-4093-9445-d972d56605f9.jpg

My Discovery has become undrivable . Initially I thought it was fuel starvation or a blockage but it always started fine. I replaced the lift pump and fuel filter then found, with bleeding, it was drawing in air. As I've had the tank out a couple of times I am almost positive that the pick-up is cracked inside the tank. There is no smell and it doesn't drain back so that's my thinking. As it doesn't get used much hasn't been a problem but now won't rev at all. I wanted to leave it in the workshop over the christmas break so rigged up a gallon can on the inner wing with a fuel hose to the lift pump and a return to the can. Success it revs up . On to the ramp up in the air and now I can paint the workshop floor ( always do this christmas eve as the break gives the paint chance to dry).

Back to work today and ..........bugger, there is diesel all over the fresh paint under the ramp. Even though it has British Standard numbers printed on it looks like the return hose isn't fuel hose as it's a black rubbery mush. As the can is higher than the fuel filter, lift pump and injector pump when the hose began leaking it acted like a syphon. Well the floor has been mopped, dried and repainted. The gooey mess has been replaced with proper fuel hose now. 

Our Ml270 cut out on me the other day,literally just up the hill from the house so able to coast it down.

I'd replaced a few injector copper seals a few week ago and suspected an airlock had finally found a way through.

No fuel at all in any fuel line so started going through and replace all the rubber o rings that famously give up the ghost. 

Whilst getting to the line that runs between the high pressure pump and the injector rail I spotted a groove that has been cut into the outer casing by the fanbelt over the years.

Replacement ordered but looking at 2-3 weeks until it arrives..

And today the Legacy started with a noisy front wheel bearing......

On 28/12/2022 at 01:58, Wibble said:

Having recently lost my Dad, talk as much as possible is my advice. This Christmas has been very hard but he knew we loved him.

My 86 year old Dad is fighting. 

This time last year, he was having laser treatment on his vocal chords, and in April 22 was given the all clear. My oldest sister visited from Ohio with my neice and 2 great nephews and my Fad pretty much drove them around North Wales for 2 weeks

Until July when he was rushed into hospital unable to breathe.  An emergency Traciotomy was done, and they discovered all his vocal chords were cancer.  He was in hpspital for 4 weeks. Eventually he was given 8 weeks of daily radio therapy, which finished the week before Christmas. 

The thing is, I'm fairly pessimistic. I honestly don't think he will live to be 87.  I think I've done most of my grieving already. 

IMG-20220827-WA0003.jpg

14 minutes ago, New POD said:

This time last year, he was having laser treatment on his vocal chords, and in April 22 was given the all clear. My oldest sister visited from Ohio with my neice and 2 great nephews and my Fad pretty much drove them around North Wales for 2 weeks

Until July when he was rushed into hospital unable to breathe.  An emergency Traciotomy was done, and they discovered all his vocal chords were cancer.  He was in hpspital for 4 weeks. Eventually he was given 8 weeks of daily radio therapy, which finished the week before Christmas. 

The thing is, I'm fairly pessimistic. I honestly don't think he will live to be 87.  I think I've done most of my grieving already. 

IMG-20220827-WA0003.jpg

My heart goes out to you and yours. My Dad fought many battles and had had enough. He was just over a month from his 87th birthday and we understood he wanted to go, as hard as it was.

I thought I was ready and have remained strong but, on my own, late at night, the sadness and grief can be quite overwhelming.

Like you, myself and my siblings were able to be around, which meant a lot to him. I hope your Dad has as long as he wants.

28 minutes ago, New POD said:

IMG-20220827-WA0003.jpg

Good that he was able to show his visitors from America round. Must have felt good doing that.

I've had more than my share of Family Cancer suffering. It gets worse as the end draws near, and no matter how expectant you are it's still a terrible shock when the end finally arrives.

All you can do is be around as often as possible. There can be many peaks and troughs along the way, and often you feel helpless.

Best wishes, pm me anytime you like if you feel it may help.

4 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

the original paint we used from Wilko was awful and just wiped off when dry

Quality paint matters, my walls were done with cheap gloss white that ended up peeling off in sheets. 
To replace it we had paint mixed to a custom pale grey colour by a local paint supplier and it couldn't be better quality. 

48 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Quality paint matters, my walls were done with cheap gloss white that ended up peeling off in sheets. 
To replace it we had paint mixed to a custom pale grey colour by a local paint supplier and it couldn't be better quality. 

We were once warned against buying B&Q’s own brand paint, by one of their own staff!

7 hours ago, Ghosty said:

So I’ve found!

First paint was Wilko own Matt green and the colour looked great but it marked stupidly easy and when I brushed it with my hand, my hand was covered in a green dust.

Did it again with albeit Dunelm own brand but straight away the paint was much better quality, coverage way better and went for eggshell rather than Matt, which seems more durable. Reviews on Dunelm paint also seem to back it up that it’s decent and many people even saying it’s better than Dulux/Crown etc. 

This home DIY stuff is all a learning curve for me, the most painting I did in our old house was touching up magnolia to keep the landlord at bay! 

20 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

went for eggshell rather than Matt, which seems more durable. This home DIY stuff is all a learning curve for me

We were all there once, man.  Don't worry about it.

Matte - Classy, flat finish but marks easily.

Silk - Shiny, cheap finish but will withstand nuclear warheads.

Eggshell - Good compromise.  

Then for wood: Oil based paints tend to last longer but need 16 hours to dry rather than 1.  As with anything, there's no right or wrong - just make the decision that's best for you.  Gloss is shiny, Eggshell is flatter.  

The best paint I bought came from a Leyland trade place.  It was about £50 for 5litres but was night and day compared with Dulux etc.  Fantastic shit.  

Personally, I've now given up using rollers.  They seem to take as much paint off as they put on.  I got so fucked off doing my hallway for the fourth time that I brushed the whole lot and it came out looking fantastic.  

Even typing this out has reminded me just how much i fucking hate decorating.  I've no patience see!