The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Oh and swapped the cars round earlier now that the -8overnight temps are over and daily can live outdoors again. Flattened the the 2cv battery so pushed it. I knew it was low as it hasn’t gone anywhere  since the mot last month, can’t be bothered to do anything in the cold and wet so will wait until daylight in Saturday to put it on charge.

I've spent the past couple of days outdoors coaxing various cars into life (hence the trip to Halfords for a new battery) - I had my doubts about the wisdom of being outside so long - but actually well wrapped up it's been quite enjoyable and I feel better for it - so do the cars. Cold and crisp weather I can handle - London had a wet/cold rain this afternoon but hey.

A tale of xmas grump.

As seems to becoming the norm, our local garage had no E5 so I bobbed up to EMA to brim the tank. Whilst I was stood at the pump another car pulled up, a twenty something lad got out & clattered something against the side of the Scirocco. It's a bit scruffy as you know, so I wasn't really bothered but then he, his partner & a child were all unloaded onto the forecourt by an older bloke ready to walk the couple of hundred yards over to the terminal. If lad hadn't clattered my car, there is a very good chance that I would have shouted, and told him to get back in because they'd soon be facing a hefty fine for alighting there.

But I never... I just wished him 'a good holiday'. 

Twat.

30 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Agree he was a twat but how will they get fined?  Is it not allowed to walk to the terminal?  As someone who would rather die* than pay an airport drop off fee I'm interested.

Most services around airports have those parking eye style things to catch people using the forecourt for waiting/drop off/pick up rather than the designated areas or short stay car park, at least the ones at Gatwick do. To be fair though, if they didn't then I imagine you wouldn't be able to get to the pumps for the amount of cars stopped there to dodge the fiver charge for pickup/drop off.

I would've made a remark on it costing the same for the drop off as it cost me to get there via a tram and bus from Nottingham, but I've since learned the price of that's gone up since I last did it in 2018 (was £5, now £10)
£5 for 15 minutes rapid drop off is a joke though.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, cort1977 said:

Yeah I can see the argument.  I just feel that if they're that concerned about safety they would provide a safe drop off area for free.

They aren't. They're concerned about making fat stacks.

I once accidentally took the slip road to Glasgow airport and had to pay to be able to turn around and get back out...

33 minutes ago, Markeh said:

I would've made a remark on it costing the same for the drop off as it cost me to get there via a tram and bus from Nottingham, but I've since learned the price of that's gone up since I last did it in 2018 (was £5, now £10)
£5 for 15 minutes rapid drop off is a joke though.

Could be worse, could be Luton.

Picked up a friend from there back...November I think it was.  I was there for 12 minutes at the short stay pickup area (well within the posted limit), got to the barrier...£37!  Bugger all you can do about it by that point though.  Whole terminal parking arrangement had been completely redone since I was there last so I had no idea where I was going and just followed the signs.  Won't be doing that again.

Wonder how much that makes them on an average day.

It's that time of year again when I have an internal debate about which car to drive down to my parents' in Somerset for Christmas.  The cheapest option would be to take the 107 (and cheapness is an important consideration as I didn't get any overtime pay in my December pay packet - partly my fault for procrastinating about submitting my hours and partly the company's fault for moving the deadline for submission without telling anyone).  It's perfectly capable of doing the distance - I've done FOD and back in it in a day, and that's about the same distance in total - and since fitting the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs and polishing the headlights at the weekend I can now actually vaguely see where I'm going at night, but it's a bit noisy at speed, and also it looks like it might be breezy over the weekend and the 107 doesn't like windy conditions very much.

The other option is the Rover 75.  That's more comfortable than the 107 and a lot quieter, with a much better stereo.  It also has cruise control, and being an automatic it'd be much more relaxing in the likely event that I get stuck in traffic.  On the flip side it uses 25% more fuel than the Pug and with diesel being 15% more expensive that makes quite a difference to fuel costs on a 500-mile round trip.  It's also a lot bigger, which is a consideration as parking is likely to be fairly tight on Christmas day.

Left field choice is the Toyota - that's on a par with the Rover comfort-wise, although it doesn't have cruise control and it's manual so traffic is more of a chore.  It does slightly less than the Rover mpg-wise but that's largely offset by the lower cost of petrol, although I'm not 100% comfortable about running it on E10 so I'd be putting in additive which raises the cost a bit.  The other argument in the Toyota's favour is that it's a family heirloom and Christmas day is going to be the biggest gathering of my mum's side of the family since before the pandemic.

Of course I could always go completely daft and take the Innocenti, although I'd be unable to walk properly after 7 hours in that.

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's that time of year again when I have an internal debate about which car to drive down to my parents' in Somerset for Christmas.  The cheapest option would be to take the 107 (and cheapness is an important consideration 

Tldr cos Dave

IMG_20220930_111400927_HDR.jpg

14 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's that time of year again when I have an internal debate about which car to drive down to my parents' in Somerset for Christmas.  The cheapest option would be to take the 107 (and cheapness is an important consideration as I didn't get any overtime pay in my December pay packet - partly my fault for procrastinating about submitting my hours and partly the company's fault for moving the deadline for submission without telling anyone).  It's perfectly capable of doing the distance - I've done FOD and back in it in a day, and that's about the same distance in total - and since fitting the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs and polishing the headlights at the weekend I can now actually vaguely see where I'm going at night, but it's a bit noisy at speed, and also it looks like it might be breezy over the weekend and the 107 doesn't like windy conditions very much.

The other option is the Rover 75.  That's more comfortable than the 107 and a lot quieter, with a much better stereo.  It also has cruise control, and being an automatic it'd be much more relaxing in the likely event that I get stuck in traffic.  On the flip side it uses 25% more fuel than the Pug and with diesel being 15% more expensive that makes quite a difference to fuel costs on a 500-mile round trip.  It's also a lot bigger, which is a consideration as parking is likely to be fairly tight on Christmas day.

Left field choice is the Toyota - that's on a par with the Rover comfort-wise, although it doesn't have cruise control and it's manual so traffic is more of a chore.  It does slightly less than the Rover mpg-wise but that's largely offset by the lower cost of petrol, although I'm not 100% comfortable about running it on E10 so I'd be putting in additive which raises the cost a bit.  The other argument in the Toyota's favour is that it's a family heirloom and Christmas day is going to be the biggest gathering of my mum's side of the family since before the pandemic.

Of course I could always go completely daft and take the Innocenti, although I'd be unable to walk properly after 7 hours in that.

have you checked if the toyoyo can/can't run E10

10 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

have you checked if the toyoyo can/can't run E10

image.png.96e35d38df6f0bead8605d4326ded2aa.png

Official advice for a Carina E (that's right innit?) is to use E5. 
I would, it gives slightly better MPG for a mild difference in cost, and the cars seem to like it more  - and the bigger the engine, the more appreciable the performance drop is for E10 in my experience. My 520i hated the stuff, for one, it made it properly slow. I'd be interested to see how it affected my 300E, but considering the relative similarity of the injection system to the 520, I'm fairly sure it'd just run like it was down a significant amount of power. 

i’m just in from a late one at work, spotted this on vaguely near the roundabout just up from my house. considering it’s a 40 zone and the ice has completely cleared, he must have been pissed or half asleep to get that far into the field

B56F6B89-EE89-477B-8C78-99AA7C4B8D16.thumb.jpeg.923b0d2becfa6729d0a21dd5a2f4006d.jpeg

i stopped to check there wasn’t anyone injured but, on closer inspection, this hadn’t just happened - big red police aware sticker on the boot lid !

A636BA45-3AF6-4DD9-ABE4-28EACF5DB9F3.thumb.jpeg.851b0956038aeec4f78b9d926980c7b2.jpeg

@DVee8 you’ll probably pass this on your way to tomorrows driving lesson, the next roundabout up towards waldridge from ours.

then i noticed coolant flavoured steam coming from the binis front end :( job for tomorrow then 

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Train Wanker and beer it down

9 hours ago, gm said:

i’m just in from a late one at work, spotted this on vaguely near the roundabout just up from my house. considering it’s a 40 zone and the ice has completely cleared, he must have been pissed or half asleep to get that far into the field

B56F6B89-EE89-477B-8C78-99AA7C4B8D16.thumb.jpeg.923b0d2becfa6729d0a21dd5a2f4006d.jpeg

i stopped to check there wasn’t anyone injured but, on closer inspection, this hadn’t just happened - big red police aware sticker on the boot lid !

A636BA45-3AF6-4DD9-ABE4-28EACF5DB9F3.thumb.jpeg.851b0956038aeec4f78b9d926980c7b2.jpeg

@DVee8 you’ll probably pass this on your way to tomorrows driving lesson, the next roundabout up towards waldridge from ours.

then i noticed coolant flavoured steam coming from the binis front end :( job for tomorrow then 

There was a recovery truck, when we passed. The truck may have its work cut out recovering this Ben thinks it is a Merc EQC.

received_1354429615316666.jpeg

2 hours ago, gm said:

that looks like he’s trying to pull it out forwards - i bet there is some weight in those mercs, hope he has a strong rope 

If its an eqc there is probably about three tonne there. I wonder if the owner wasn't used to over 400bhp?

Some of these electric cars are probably a bit too quick for inexperienced drivers especially at this time of year.

16 hours ago, wuvvum said:

75 all day every day for me, despite the fuel costs. Do understand the savings of using the 107 tho but if I had a wafty barge then what better use for it than a 500 mile trip. 

Honestly, 500 miles in a 107 would break me. But maybe that's just me 🤣

On 19/12/2022 at 12:43, barefoot said:

A tale of xmas grump.

As seems to becoming the norm, our local garage had no E5 so I bobbed up to EMA to brim the tank. Whilst I was stood at the pump another car pulled up, a twenty something lad got out & clattered something against the side of the Scirocco. It's a bit scruffy as you know, so I wasn't really bothered but then he, his partner & a child were all unloaded onto the forecourt by an older bloke ready to walk the couple of hundred yards over to the terminal. If lad hadn't clattered my car, there is a very good chance that I would have shouted, and told him to get back in because they'd soon be facing a hefty fine for alighting there.

But I never... I just wished him 'a good holiday'. 

Twat.

I did quite a bit of Contract work at Rolls Royce in Derby over the last few years. 

During one contract I became friends with 3 contractors who flew in from Belfast to East Midlands every Monday.  

They had a car parked in Castle Donnington in the Street, and would get a bus from the Airport to the car.  They'd drop it back in the Street on a Thursday evening, catch a bus to the airport and leave the car over the weekend. Over Christmas they left it for 10 days once.  They parked facing downhill. 

Bluebird won’t be ready till the new year as it’s a dash out job for the matrix. It’ll be worth it as it’ll return with a fully recored matrix and heater and new thermostat so at least the cooling system gets a welcome renewal. 

in other news I’ve just purchased this stereo for it. Fully working and with a code, seems about period correct I’d say. Not too much either 

E147495F-FCB5-4D1D-82C6-AA01076C98F8.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

Bluebird won’t be ready till the new year as it’s a dash out job for the matrix. It’ll be worth it as it’ll return with a fully recored matrix and heater and new thermostat so at least the cooling system gets a welcome renewal. 

in other news I’ve just purchased this stereo for it. Fully working and with a code, seems about period correct I’d say. Not too much either 

E147495F-FCB5-4D1D-82C6-AA01076C98F8.jpeg

They're alright but I got fed up having to constantly retune it. Then again, if you're only going to listen to cassettes, they're fine. No Dolby though.

19 hours ago, Ghosty said:

image.png.96e35d38df6f0bead8605d4326ded2aa.png

Official advice for a Carina E (that's right innit?) is to use E5. 
I would, it gives slightly better MPG for a mild difference in cost, and the cars seem to like it more  - and the bigger the engine, the more appreciable the performance drop is for E10 in my experience. My 520i hated the stuff, for one, it made it properly slow. I'd be interested to see how it affected my 300E, but considering the relative similarity of the injection system to the 520, I'm fairly sure it'd just run like it was down a significant amount of power. 

The fact the only engines listed as being compatible are ones not shared with the Carina E would imply as much. I wonder what they changed when they went over to the AZ engine from the A and S in older cars.

2 minutes ago, EightMegs said:

The fact the only engines listed as being compatible are ones not shared with the Carina E would imply as much. I wonder what they changed when they went over to the AZ engine from the A and S in older cars.

That says the AZ isn't E10 compliant, not that it is! (or am I misreading?)