The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

They are ok, can't say they are over noisy or wear too quickly. I'm sure they proper ratings!

They aren't the very best for fuel consumption but I can't complain about that, can't either myself. 

They have decent grip and handling all year so I like them. And considering the next better brands are 10 or £20 more each then I'm sold thanks very much!

12 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

My memory is so confused these days I was just sat here watching the Never Mind the Buzzcocks Christmas special and suddenly started wondering if it was actually Christmas or whether I was watching a repeat, despite this being my view. 

20221216_235257.thumb.jpg.a7b6821414b29684bda45239fa007850.jpg

This is actually probably something for the 'Should drugs be legalised' thread TBH. 

sat on santas face???

Couriering van passed its test this morning.

804637740_Screenshot(116).thumb.png.257731da5779dbf7516acea0effc2a2b.png

Felt a bit guilty about the state it was presented in.

20221216_133308.thumb.jpg.88f6bd91d31cff15b29287ca13892c0e.jpg

I did wipe the crud off the number plate first! It was spotless on Monday..........

No photos as I'd left my phone in the van but there was a K reg 1971/72 Mk3 Cortina having its first MOT since 1996 according to the owner, looked lovely in dark green. The 1.3 engine had been swapped for a 1.6 transit lump apparently. 

On 12/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, Austat said:

This 504 is dangerously close to me and is a good price. I'm having a hard time convincing my Dad as it's an automatic (anything manual is sought after and overpriced here) but I plan on treating myself to something special this Christmas and the funds for it will come out of my pocket. There's a dent and a little bit of surface rust in three spots to fix, but for around £1420 it's a steal.

68559789038__1B197CAE-1E78-4EAD-89FD-713DBEEFDF49.fullsizerender.thumb.jpg.7fc7d6fdac57ab9ac4e3bda8f821a3f7.jpg 68559789992__C0F44E04-A659-4D3E-B77E-4090BA00FFFA-preview.thumb.JPG.1b8435574ac589009d567dccdda5dbc3.JPG

Would anyone recommend them? Any technical gremlins to look out for?

Should I or shouldn't I?

33406DA9-BF7B-419D-ABE1-D0AC8A655578.jpeg

On 12/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, Braddon81 said:

New clutch kit finally fitted to my roffle winning  406 Coupe - it's thrust bearing finally gave out the ghost a few months back. Had dagger eyes from my usually chirpy spannerman - it turned out to be a pig of a job.

DSC_3389.JPG

Am I remembering rightly its engine out to do a clutch on those if its got the V6?

On 15/12/2022 at 10:21, Austat said:

This 504 is dangerously close to me and is a good price. I'm having a hard time convincing my Dad as it's an automatic (anything manual is sought after and overpriced here) but I plan on treating myself to something special this Christmas and the funds for it will come out of my pocket. There's a dent and a little bit of surface rust in three spots to fix, but for around £1420 it's a steal.

68559789038__1B197CAE-1E78-4EAD-89FD-713DBEEFDF49.fullsizerender.thumb.jpg.7fc7d6fdac57ab9ac4e3bda8f821a3f7.jpg 68559789992__C0F44E04-A659-4D3E-B77E-4090BA00FFFA-preview.thumb.JPG.1b8435574ac589009d567dccdda5dbc3.JPG

Would anyone recommend them? Any technical gremlins to look out for?

Should I or shouldn't I?

Have you bought this yet?

There was a 504 for sale at the local classic car auction recently. It had been driven here from Australia. 

15 hours ago, HMC said:

The dash at twilight by the union @grogee

D86E48DB-EEDC-4274-A531-DA16158A5339.thumb.jpeg.3ef672b7ae66ce9961786a879e464f82.jpeg

That shot brings back happy memories of my old ones, things like the cliff-face styling and the feel of the HVAC controls with their air/vacuum assistance (still a better system than push buttons). I removed a couple of those stereos and replaced them with a JVC and remote 6-disc CD changer set-up.

Oh and swapped the cars round earlier now that the -8overnight temps are over and daily can live outdoors again. Flattened the the 2cv battery so pushed it. I knew it was low as it hasn’t gone anywhere  since the mot last month, can’t be bothered to do anything in the cold and wet so will wait until daylight in Saturday to put it on charge.

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Oh and swapped the cars round earlier now that the -8overnight temps are over and daily can live outdoors again. Flattened the the 2cv battery so pushed it. I knew it was low as it hasn’t gone anywhere  since the mot last month, can’t be bothered to do anything in the cold and wet so will wait until daylight in Saturday to put it on charge.

I've spent the past couple of days outdoors coaxing various cars into life (hence the trip to Halfords for a new battery) - I had my doubts about the wisdom of being outside so long - but actually well wrapped up it's been quite enjoyable and I feel better for it - so do the cars. Cold and crisp weather I can handle - London had a wet/cold rain this afternoon but hey.

A tale of xmas grump.

As seems to becoming the norm, our local garage had no E5 so I bobbed up to EMA to brim the tank. Whilst I was stood at the pump another car pulled up, a twenty something lad got out & clattered something against the side of the Scirocco. It's a bit scruffy as you know, so I wasn't really bothered but then he, his partner & a child were all unloaded onto the forecourt by an older bloke ready to walk the couple of hundred yards over to the terminal. If lad hadn't clattered my car, there is a very good chance that I would have shouted, and told him to get back in because they'd soon be facing a hefty fine for alighting there.

But I never... I just wished him 'a good holiday'. 

Twat.

30 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Agree he was a twat but how will they get fined?  Is it not allowed to walk to the terminal?  As someone who would rather die* than pay an airport drop off fee I'm interested.

Most services around airports have those parking eye style things to catch people using the forecourt for waiting/drop off/pick up rather than the designated areas or short stay car park, at least the ones at Gatwick do. To be fair though, if they didn't then I imagine you wouldn't be able to get to the pumps for the amount of cars stopped there to dodge the fiver charge for pickup/drop off.

I would've made a remark on it costing the same for the drop off as it cost me to get there via a tram and bus from Nottingham, but I've since learned the price of that's gone up since I last did it in 2018 (was £5, now £10)
£5 for 15 minutes rapid drop off is a joke though.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, cort1977 said:

Yeah I can see the argument.  I just feel that if they're that concerned about safety they would provide a safe drop off area for free.

They aren't. They're concerned about making fat stacks.

I once accidentally took the slip road to Glasgow airport and had to pay to be able to turn around and get back out...

33 minutes ago, Markeh said:

I would've made a remark on it costing the same for the drop off as it cost me to get there via a tram and bus from Nottingham, but I've since learned the price of that's gone up since I last did it in 2018 (was £5, now £10)
£5 for 15 minutes rapid drop off is a joke though.

Could be worse, could be Luton.

Picked up a friend from there back...November I think it was.  I was there for 12 minutes at the short stay pickup area (well within the posted limit), got to the barrier...£37!  Bugger all you can do about it by that point though.  Whole terminal parking arrangement had been completely redone since I was there last so I had no idea where I was going and just followed the signs.  Won't be doing that again.

Wonder how much that makes them on an average day.

It's that time of year again when I have an internal debate about which car to drive down to my parents' in Somerset for Christmas.  The cheapest option would be to take the 107 (and cheapness is an important consideration as I didn't get any overtime pay in my December pay packet - partly my fault for procrastinating about submitting my hours and partly the company's fault for moving the deadline for submission without telling anyone).  It's perfectly capable of doing the distance - I've done FOD and back in it in a day, and that's about the same distance in total - and since fitting the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs and polishing the headlights at the weekend I can now actually vaguely see where I'm going at night, but it's a bit noisy at speed, and also it looks like it might be breezy over the weekend and the 107 doesn't like windy conditions very much.

The other option is the Rover 75.  That's more comfortable than the 107 and a lot quieter, with a much better stereo.  It also has cruise control, and being an automatic it'd be much more relaxing in the likely event that I get stuck in traffic.  On the flip side it uses 25% more fuel than the Pug and with diesel being 15% more expensive that makes quite a difference to fuel costs on a 500-mile round trip.  It's also a lot bigger, which is a consideration as parking is likely to be fairly tight on Christmas day.

Left field choice is the Toyota - that's on a par with the Rover comfort-wise, although it doesn't have cruise control and it's manual so traffic is more of a chore.  It does slightly less than the Rover mpg-wise but that's largely offset by the lower cost of petrol, although I'm not 100% comfortable about running it on E10 so I'd be putting in additive which raises the cost a bit.  The other argument in the Toyota's favour is that it's a family heirloom and Christmas day is going to be the biggest gathering of my mum's side of the family since before the pandemic.

Of course I could always go completely daft and take the Innocenti, although I'd be unable to walk properly after 7 hours in that.