The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, egg said:

yes and the US obsession with suv's too I guess instead of 'cars'

I don't think it's much different here really. Most people would rather buy a Ford Puma than a Fiesta or an Audi Q3 over an A3, for example. The Fiesta is a good example as it's disappearing soon for mostly this reason

Yeah, US trends are usually showing whats happening in the UK (and most other markets) a few years later. Theres probably hardly anything more in demand than hybrid Toyota crossovers right now so those eat away at the marketshare of the Prius. And when fuel prices are low nobody cares about a car like the Prius anyway, which only really exists to save fuel.

46 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Yeah, US trends are usually showing whats happening in the UK (and most other markets) a few years later. Theres probably hardly anything more in demand than hybrid Toyota crossovers right now so those eat away at the marketshare of the Prius. And when fuel prices are low nobody cares about a car like the Prius anyway, which only really exists to save fuel.

Which are the same drivetrain as some (C-HR) and just scaled up for the others. So the Prius has done its job in the market for Toyota of proving out the powertrain technology, while gaining a strong reputation for robustness. 

5 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Is that warm air heating?

Nah it’s a vent that I removed and half smashed out to fit my phone in to record what’s behind it 😂

We want to get the fireplace opened up and plastered so we can put an electric log burner style fire in it. There’s been a gas fire in there before and it’s been breeze blocked up. 

Got two quotes just for someone to knock the hole back in and plaster it.. £1690 and £1900!! Couldn’t believe its so much considering that’s not actually fitting any sort of fire, just physically opening it and plastering it. 

I have also since found an old gas pipe I there so I guess that’s another cost to have removed.

this is the look we eventually want

1D6B8EA0-4867-4477-809C-9E7AE0BB72BC.jpeg

Here are the pipes I can see through the vent. Obviously long disconnected but still I assume would need a gas engineer to come and remove them / cap further up the system which will be another cost, unless there can be studwork in front but still deep enough for the electric log burner

EF175650-1054-446F-8DB4-B3032BAAA1C6.jpeg

264E8209-ECD3-40EC-A6B2-E503F686121A.jpeg

36 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Here are the pipes I can see through the vent. Obviously long disconnected but still I assume would need a gas engineer to come and remove them / cap further up the system which will be another cost, unless there can be studwork in front but still deep enough for the electric log burner

Are you sure those are gas pipes?   More likely to be part of your central heating or hot water system,  But anyway, don't assume that they are disconnected!  

13 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Are you sure those are gas pipes?   More likely to be part of your central heating or hot water system,  But anyway, don't assume that they are disconnected!  

Oh maybe not then, I just assumed they’d be gas pipes as I’m sure it would have had a gas fire originally - my old man used to live next door and his had one, I was also born in a bungalow down the end of the road which had one too. 

Will of course get them checked out if we decide to knock it out!

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Been in the new house 3 full days, not even half unpacked but mrs JJ decided we needed to start painting the lounge tonight…

5B073801-7263-42E4-89AA-36B8622E7924.jpeg

I hope that's an euphemism?

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Only 1 pipe needed for gas, prob 15mm, but 2 for water. Get it checked, to be certain.

9 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Middle pipe old gas line and outer two the water feed for an old back boiler?

Uh oh

2677BD71-F962-4C12-82C3-97BEFB3FDEE4.thumb.jpeg.e63eb3b83d26f17d97153806d26c37f1.jpeg

I’ve been feeling rough for a couple of weeks but testing negative. I had a fever yesterday and had to take the day off which is unusual for me, but I felt too crap to even just go to work and look busy. I took a test in the evening and it confirms that I’ve got covid for like the third or fourth time now 😢 on the plus side at least I can get some bed rest for a few days and hopefully get back to feeling myself a bit quicker.

V70 has four brand new Vredstein all- season tyres (after much research looking at ice tunnel testing etc etc I'm now convinced that decent all-season are the best overall for UK conditions).

It was costly enough, Bridgestone, Continental and Michelin were a bit too expensive for comfort and I've had Vredstein before and liked them very much. 

20221214_085929.jpg

Passed my driving test on the 25th of November and due to various reasons I have only just got the Picanto in a state fit to be driven. Gets up on Thursday all excited about driving into work on my own like a big boy, only to find that mother nature has decided to gift us with snow. Erm... 

HELP! 

Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end but the Picanto has handled my ineptitude marvellously, even if I am a bit heavy on the clutch still... 🙈