The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

8 hours ago, Pat Earrings said:

Yeah that’s my guess too, seeing as it runs perfectly and no overheating etc. I’m on the lookout for something so won’t rush it, enjoying the sounds of the car itself tbh. Yeah happy to let them tinker with it, it’s unbearably cold. Almost froze my hands doing the EGR delete on my TDi polo the other week.

Blaupunkt

Ah - I've got two half dismantled Blaupunkt units on my dining table - started making one good out of two duff ones. Bluebird to ISO cables are available as an adaptor on eBay. 

4 hours ago, wesacosa said:

Found an old pic of me briefly living the dream in 2003.  Showing of my new purchase (mint 2.8 Injection Special, ~70k, FSH, £825) alongside what had been my daily driver for the last few years (1.6 Laser, ~65k, £350).   Sadly the 2.8 was stolen after 4 weeks of ownership. Was eventually found a few months later without wheels and seats but after the insurance had paid out.  I went to the Salvage auction to buy it back but the brain dead morons at the yard had dragged it around with no wheels.  I did see it for sale a few months later in Classic Ford magazine but with one number missing off the printed phone number.  It never appeared for sale again and disappeared off the DVLA website not long after.   Wonder what it would be worth now.     The Laser got tatty by about 2009 and I was going through a break up/house move etc so sold it on.  Still seems to be on SORN so hope its still out there somewhere

EDIT

Listening to some random play music on Youtube whilst I posted this and the next song to come up after I clicked post was Dennis Waterman, I could be so good for you :)

capri1.jpg.11eed7fcad5945ff29ff7d7adecb0385.jpg

did u keep the 1.6?

On 11/16/2022 at 8:04 PM, richardmorris said:

Surely having a c6 for spares and a c5 for when it fails to proceed is good sense? They are so temptingly cheap, but I think @richykitchy s vids are finally putting me off. £650 road vel and hundreds of brittle plastic pipes that are now 15 years old.

Fair, though all cars of that era are the same regards the plastic pipework. Granted other cars may be easier to get spares for, but if I couldn't have found the pipe I needed, I could have made something to fit. Life's too short not to 🙂

11 minutes ago, egg said:

yes and the US obsession with suv's too I guess instead of 'cars'

I don't think it's much different here really. Most people would rather buy a Ford Puma than a Fiesta or an Audi Q3 over an A3, for example. The Fiesta is a good example as it's disappearing soon for mostly this reason

Yeah, US trends are usually showing whats happening in the UK (and most other markets) a few years later. Theres probably hardly anything more in demand than hybrid Toyota crossovers right now so those eat away at the marketshare of the Prius. And when fuel prices are low nobody cares about a car like the Prius anyway, which only really exists to save fuel.

46 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Yeah, US trends are usually showing whats happening in the UK (and most other markets) a few years later. Theres probably hardly anything more in demand than hybrid Toyota crossovers right now so those eat away at the marketshare of the Prius. And when fuel prices are low nobody cares about a car like the Prius anyway, which only really exists to save fuel.

Which are the same drivetrain as some (C-HR) and just scaled up for the others. So the Prius has done its job in the market for Toyota of proving out the powertrain technology, while gaining a strong reputation for robustness. 

5 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Is that warm air heating?

Nah it’s a vent that I removed and half smashed out to fit my phone in to record what’s behind it 😂

We want to get the fireplace opened up and plastered so we can put an electric log burner style fire in it. There’s been a gas fire in there before and it’s been breeze blocked up. 

Got two quotes just for someone to knock the hole back in and plaster it.. £1690 and £1900!! Couldn’t believe its so much considering that’s not actually fitting any sort of fire, just physically opening it and plastering it. 

I have also since found an old gas pipe I there so I guess that’s another cost to have removed.

this is the look we eventually want

1D6B8EA0-4867-4477-809C-9E7AE0BB72BC.jpeg

Here are the pipes I can see through the vent. Obviously long disconnected but still I assume would need a gas engineer to come and remove them / cap further up the system which will be another cost, unless there can be studwork in front but still deep enough for the electric log burner

EF175650-1054-446F-8DB4-B3032BAAA1C6.jpeg

264E8209-ECD3-40EC-A6B2-E503F686121A.jpeg