The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Sweet.  Stereo works.  Well, sort of.

IMG_20221206_174956.jpg

Tape does anyway - which was probably the most important bit.  Radio appears to be dead.

Neither the upper control panel or steering column controls do anything.  So the radio *may* actually work, but this system as I recall has muting if off station, and the seek controls are on the upper control panel, not duplicated on the head unit itself so I can't currently try to tune into anything or switch bands.

Could it really be as simple as a dodgy connection or someone not having plugged things back in (I have an invoice for the 12V outlet having been rewired, so this will have been out to access that)?

Not holding my breath, but would be a nice surprise if so.

Also, yes it still sounds bloody decent, even on the original speakers, must have been absolutely epic back in the late 80s.

What’s that from?  Renault 25?

3 hours ago, Stevebrookman said:

Another years MOT for the Sierra. Needed a track rod end and two bits of welding on the rear arches-£185 -couldn't be bothered pulling the MIG out and freezing for that! Heres a before pic-too dark tonight. They replaced all the rusty bits you can see on the wheelarch near the door on both sides.

Sierra repairs 3.JPG

very nice

Fuck me, that was tense.

Got the train to Leicester and the seller picked me up, gave me a lift to his place and the MX5. 
Seller insists on feeding me, in the kitchen doing payment etc, and there's food on the table, he insisted I have some of the vegetable rice there, was pretty good to be fair, and kept me going. 
He just gives me the V5 to sort out in my own time. 
Off on my way, bit of alternator belt squeal that quickly clears up. 

Problem 1 - both mirrors are broken and held on with mastic. Limited visibility. 
Go to a McDonald's nearby to set myself up for the 100 miles home. 

Problem 2 - can't tax it, old 11 digit blue V5. 7:30pm, no post offices. 

Go to start the car and the (incorrect) battery has carked it (had terrible luck with batteries recently), called AA for a jump. Car's charging etc, just needed a kick up the arse. Didn't fancy bump starting as there were coppers in the car park. 
Headed to a Tesco a couple of miles away, fuelled up without turning it off on the self serve - as I was pulling in another Eunos left. Thought that was a good sign. 

Drove home in one shot up the M1 - praying for no coppers. Did pass a traffic car in south Yorkshire somewhere but it was too busy dealing with a foreign artic. 
Car's good, it has a weird thing where it bogs down sometimes when the revs drop, it feels like either the cone filter/MAF isn't quite happy (going to see if the standard airbox off the 1.6 fits but think the MAF is different), or very aggressive VVT (that it doesn't have). 

Drives well, just need to sort the niggles out and it'll be a goodun. 

It's a Eunos Roadster G-Limited - a Jap special edition that gets you some pretty metallic dark blue paint, faux suede seats, fancy Momo steering wheel, a four-speaker stereo, Torsen diff... all the good Jap spec parts. 

g2.jpg

I'll get some pics in the light tomorrow, none yet because dark and stressed.

6 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Fuck me, that was tense.

Got the train to Leicester and the seller picked me up, gave me a lift to his place and the MX5. 
Seller insists on feeding me, in the kitchen doing payment etc, and there's food on the table, he insisted I have some of the vegetable rice there, was pretty good to be fair, and kept me going. 

Problem 1 - both mirrors are broken and held on with mastic. Limited visibility. 

Go to start the car and the (incorrect) battery has carked it (had terrible luck with batteries recently), called AA for a jump. Car's charging etc, just needed a kick up the arse. Didn't fancy bump starting as there were coppers in the car park. 
Headed to a Tesco a couple of miles away, fuelled up without turning it off on the self serve - as I was pulling in another Eunos left. Thought that was a good sign. 

Drove home in one shot up the M1 - praying for no coppers. Did pass a traffic car in south Yorkshire somewhere but it was too busy dealing with a foreign artic. 
Car's good, it has a weird thing where it bogs down sometimes when the revs drop, it feels like either the cone filter/MAF isn't quite happy (going to see if the standard airbox off the 1.6 fits but think the MAF is different), or very aggressive VVT (that it doesn't have). 

It's a Eunos Roadster G-Limited - a Jap special edition that gets you some pretty metallic dark blue paint, faux suede seats, fancy Momo steering wheel, a four-speaker stereo, Torsen diff... all the good Jap spec parts. 

g2.jpg

Glad you got it back safely, driving an unknown car in the dark is always a bit nerve wracking. If it’s any consolation I had the traffic police join me when I had a tyre disintegrate on a dual carriageway when collecting the Favorit. I hadn’t taxed it and it wasn’t showing on MID, when asked about tax and insurance I just said who I was insured with and that I’d only just bought it and they didn’t ask any more, just kept me company with their car protecting mine until a mate arrived with tools. I reckon that as long as you don’t come across as a scrote then you’re probably ok.

3 hours ago, OM646 said:

Got a Chinesium key for a friend's 307.

Full remote key, not just a shell. 10 quid.

I'll need to get it cut and programmed via PP2000.

So far it feels great and heavy in hand

IMG_20221206_184705.jpg

Any PSA guru here? 

Does a prefacelift 307 use "CE0523" or "CE0536" type of key?

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Fuck me, that was tense.

g2.jpg

G-Limited = proper Gran Turismo spec

MX5 is now taxed at the post office. 

I've started with a couple of small jobs - given it the hardtop as the rear screen is splitting out of the roof (I'll replace the soft top next year). 

I also changed the aftermarket clear side repeaters and swapped them for standard orange ones. 

PXL_20221207_135542293.thumb.jpg.e86643b562f9beede6c01c94faabcef8.jpgPXL_20221207_135548066.thumb.jpg.8d980dc504a99102659420fc4e787f1f.jpg

Green car's roof took a bit of messing to close as it's been laid open under the hardtop since at least May, presumably a lot longer. 

Green car is going for MOT then will be for sale if anyone's interested. Wheels pictured aren't included. 

I also took my Roadster floormats and moved them across: 

PXL_20221207_135534092.thumb.jpg.6b5817dd93004cd16d129a0af58601b2.jpg

Tasty. 

I found out the horn doesn't work:

PXL_20221207_135511216.thumb.jpg.7700f33ad2b2a7c9614622d8aa0312ca.jpg

That'll be why. A completely pointless key operated removable boss. It also means I can only reach the stalks with my fingertips, so that's going in the bin when I can be arsed going outside again. 

I recorded this footage a year ago.  That pothole is still there, though larger now.  It's been there untouched since at least January 2020, as has the flooding and other potholes along this stretch of busy main road.  It's almost as if Maidstone borough council were on the brink of bankruptcy or something.

1893467525_21-NewBatteryTime_15.thumb.jpg.124bccb671403b966cb263a8af23246b.jpg

8 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I recorded this footage a year ago.  That pothole is still there, though larger now.  It's been there untouched since at least January 2020, as has the flooding and other potholes along this stretch of busy main road.  It's almost as if Maidstone borough council were on the brink of bankruptcy or something.

even when they repair em they can't do a decent job. WSCC have replaced a pothole outside our village i think 3 times in the past 3 years- every time they replace it it starts opening up after about a fortnight!

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Don't record it, report it!

Here in sunny Leicestershire we have a form to complete. You click on the map where there's a hole in the road and a couple of days later a bloke turns up & puts  shovel full of tarmac into it before backing over it in his lorry. I normally enter my postcode as one of the maintenance hangers up at EMA to avoid getting too involved with anyone.

https://leicestershirecc-self.achieveservice.com/AchieveForms/?mode=fill&consentMessage=yes&form_uri=sandbox-publish://AF-Process-566d0db1-a780-40ec-a830-b17262c5ab3e/AF-Stage-082df4a7-2f45-4423-9cc0-a3390e945fe6/definition.json&process=1&process_uri=sandbox-processes://AF-Process-566d0db1-a780-40ec-a830-b17262c5ab3e&process_id=AF-Process-566d0db1-a780-40ec-a830-b17262c5ab3e

1939825149_Screenshot2022-12-08at08_41_38.thumb.png.9b8faabc46f214f5d816f46ea8693351.png

Spray paint a massive cock and balls around the hole (with semen emanating from the crown if you so wish). You’ll find it gets repaired almost immediately. I saw this in Watford a couple of years ago and the council couldn’t have been there quicker, despite many previous reports and complaints.

9458B7A4-27B5-4880-81FA-3428440A5294.jpeg

On 07/12/2022 at 00:17, Ghosty said:

I'm going to have to do this - I'll never find mirrors in colour. £70 for a new pair or a couple of bolts... no brainer. 

My mx5 has 2 bolts from a warrior tank, as I was working at the MODs rebuild factory.  Mx5 parts wanted a stupid price for a single bolt. 

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Spray paint a massive cock and balls around the hole (with semen emanating from the crown if you so wish). You’ll find it gets repaired almost immediately. I saw this in Watford a couple of years ago and the council couldn’t have been there quicker, despite many previous reports and complaints.

9458B7A4-27B5-4880-81FA-3428440A5294.jpeg

Shirley that's not quite right, the cocks should be jizzing into the holes, not out of them!

1 hour ago, New POD said:

My mx5 has 2 bolts from a warrior tank, as I was working at the MODs rebuild factory.  Mx5 parts wanted a stupid price for a single bolt. 

A lot of places fleece people for the 'repair kits' made of standard bolts and washers (and add £4-5 on for a spring!!!), I'm just going to get some from a hardware shop.