The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Called out at 630 am to swap over a broken down ambulance,  well waited till 11am to be recovered ..  was cold, wat kept me entertained was a dude with a broken audi tt tfsi, the AA dude went off too get parts and the car owner was telling his mates no4 piston needs replacing and will be done on the forecourt, I had to get a blanket as legs getting cold and said hi too the young lad , asked about his audi , and I told him the part was a coil on plug, I offered him a sit in the back as I heard he was met police on way too work.

IMG-20221201-WA0000.jpeg

20221201_081520.jpg

20221201_102853.jpg

20221201_104422.jpg

7 hours ago, barefoot said:

There is; 2 litres of Gin, 3 litres of Fever tree, 24 bottles of whine, 7 bottles of Prosecco, 108 cans of ale & 4 of cider. If I buy a bottle of sherry for the fair wife it may well see me through to when I stop again  - January to April.

It gives me a warm feeling when I complete forms about how much I drink at the doctor's & the dentist's - with a big fat zero for 6 months of the year!

Your G&Ts are going to be a bit weak aren’t they? 

On 29/11/2022 at 08:34, Dyslexic Viking said:

Kevin's latest video and this is scary that something like this is on the road, we should be glad that things like MOT and similar exist and that's why I'm posting this here.

And it is not necessary to see the whole thing, just the first few minutes show enough.

Even with MoTs I still see pickups and 4x4s here with snapped chassis. Most recently this one which starred on the eBay thread.
317437090_5650706181685913_3153102870763698218_n.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 2:42 PM, SiC said:

I think this pairing is quite cool. Maybe cooler 19 years ago but still not bad.

PXL_20221128_124535141.thumb.jpg.ba068bf9cdf0e9f18a83c3810f824bc2.jpg

However, not for long! 

The Boxster is off to a better place.

PXL_20221128_142550908.thumb.jpg.6886ab089d67e4d0f72eec7c42f34bf2.jpg

Boxster is back.

Panhard65 has given it a good service and sorted a few niggles I was having. He said it was surprisingly rust free and clean underneath. Even the coffin arms that usually seize up were in good condition. I guess it's because it's spent a lot of its life stored in a garage and not outside.

I really should now need to clear storage and get it out away over the worse of winter being thrown at it.

PXL_20221202_130850382.jpg

Trying to start getting our current gaff cleaned up so we make sure to get our deposit back, thought I’d tackle the oven last night.

Bought one of those Elbow Grease kits for £2.50 where you get the big plastic bags, bottle of potion and a pair of gloves. 

Put the trays/racks in the bag, poured some of the gel in the bottom of the oven and wiped it all over including the door glass. 

Tonight after work I set about scrubbing it all off, all I can say is wow. I expected to give that a go then pay £80 odd for a company to come in and do it properly however it’s worked beautifully! Can’t quite believe it for the money. 

Not going to lie, our oven was grim. One of those jobs you just never get round to. The glass was brown - could barely see through it. Metal racks were typically covered in shit. 

Quite proud of how well it’s come up for £2.50 and a couple of hours work! 

It’s not perfect but I’m sure it’s adequate enough for my landlord not to raise it as an issue. 

777A226B-6A89-47D0-95E4-56CCF363B963.jpeg

9B800D10-DDEF-4C27-BFE6-9A09AE628463.jpeg

38 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Trying to start getting our current gaff cleaned up so we make sure to get our deposit back, thought I’d tackle the oven last night.

Bought one of those Elbow Grease kits for £2.50 where you get the big plastic bags, bottle of potion and a pair of gloves. 

Put the trays/racks in the bag, poured some of the gel in the bottom of the oven and wiped it all over including the door glass. 

Tonight after work I set about scrubbing it all off, all I can say is wow. I expected to give that a go then pay £80 odd for a company to come in and do it properly however it’s worked beautifully! Can’t quite believe it for the money. 

Not going to lie, our oven was grim. One of those jobs you just never get round to. The glass was brown - could barely see through it. Metal racks were typically covered in shit. 

It’s not perfect but I’m sure it’s adequate enough for my landlord not to raise it as an issue. 

Just double check it's not run dirt out the back of the fan in the morning. Ours did that on the bloody day we gave the keys back to the agent! Nearly lost our deposit until I whined that she looked around when we were there and didn't tell us. 

42 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Yes the oven pride packs are very good. 

4 minutes ago, SiC said:

Just double check it's not run dirt out the back of the fan in the morning. Ours did that on the bloody day we gave the keys back to the agent! Nearly lost our deposit until I whined that she looked around when we were there and didn't tell us. 

Good shout!

I have also made the mistake of doing it now and we have 6 nights left here 😂 so takeaways and microwave meals it is. Maybe a careful hob based meal. 

30 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

In fact you’ve just reminded me to buy one this weekend as I have the agent coming next week for the annual review and price increase. Hope they don’t want to put it up 10%!

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/elbow-grease-oven-cleaning-kit-356762

this is the one I used. Can’t believe it’s only a couple of quid. Bloody brilliant.

On 11/19/2022 at 8:25 PM, JJ0063 said:

Just found you can fit normal shocks and just unplug the DCC button, meaning there will be no dash errors

That’ll do me, £30 odd for a shock rather than £280

Proper shiter, me.

Fitted my £18 brand new non DCC shock today, Jesus it’s made the world of difference. Ride is way less crashy and no more knocking! Unplugged the DCC button near the gear stick to stop it flashing. Just done 75 miles and it’s driving so much nicer. I didn’t think I’d notice any difference but the old shock had completely gone, there was no return at all on it. I think when funds allow I’ll get another rear and a pair of fronts to give it all a refresh. At 135k on the originals, the others can’t be far behind and I know you’re obviously really meant to replace them in pairs. 

A9BE670D-E015-44B5-ABCA-0C9F8BC7EE84.png

On 12/2/2022 at 7:43 PM, JJ0063 said:

I did this to our slightly neglected cooker yesterday, I removed the door to clean inside the hinge area and removed the inner glass to clean too. I opted to put the glass in the big bag with the gel and the cooker shelves and after a few hours they were all sparking.

My joy was short lived however as the glass inner door exploded as I tried to get it out of the bag somewhat negating the whole exercise. Tbh we don’t use it much anyway as the air fryer has taken over. 

In other news, I IZ AMATEUR SLABBER. This hole is where a low wall and flower bed used to be. I managed to score some original 1960s council style 3x2 slabs and a friend from work helped me to lay them. (Well, I helped him). The rest of the slabs are wonky AF so it was hard work to get them level with the existing slabs but they don’t look too bad at all.  image.thumb.jpeg.99220ee3294ead0dc636acc2299a8c65.jpeg

248A5E87-2A2D-43A0-8A7B-FFCF3D7CD1D4.jpeg

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Fitted my £18 brand new non DCC shock today, Jesus it’s made the world of difference. Ride is way less crashy and no more knocking! Unplugged the DCC button near the gear stick to stop it flashing. Just done 75 miles and it’s driving so much nicer. I didn’t think I’d notice any difference but the old shock had completely gone, there was no return at all on it. I think when funds allow I’ll get another rear and a pair of fronts to give it all a refresh. At 135k on the originals, the others can’t be far behind and I know you’re obviously really meant to replace them in pairs. 

A9BE670D-E015-44B5-ABCA-0C9F8BC7EE84.png

The replace in pairs agenda really gets me, no need whatsoever to waste money on replacing components that aren't worn out or otherwise faulty, unless it's a performance car the slight difference isnt going to be noticeable. It's just a myth circulated by fast fit centres to upsell. Maybe do the other rear at that price for peace of mind but I'd leave the fronts alone if I were you. 

Realistically if a shock isn't leaking then it's not going to do it's job much worse than a brand new one. 

I always say you wouldn't be replacing it if the other hadn't gone so there's no reason to do it now, they're two independent components. 

Save your money :)

4 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

The replace in pairs agenda really gets me, no need whatsoever to waste money on replacing components that aren't worn out or otherwise faulty, unless it's a performance car the slight difference isnt going to be noticeable. It's just a myth circulated by fast fit centres to upsell. Maybe do the other rear at that price for peace of mind but I'd leave the fronts alone if I were you. 

Realistically if a shock isn't leaking then it's not going to do it's job much worse than a brand new one. 

I always say you wouldn't be replacing it if the other hadn't gone so there's no reason to do it now, they're two independent components. 

Save your money :)

I had a single shock replaced by a main dealer on a Subaru WRX. I queried it “shouldn’t you replace them in pairs?” They just laughed and said “ that’s how Kwikfit make their money!”

10 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I had a single shock replaced by a main dealer on a Subaru WRX. I queried it “shouldn’t you replace them in pairs?” They just laughed and said “ that’s how Kwikfit make their money!”

It's true tho :)

I only recommend pairs when they're both worn (obviously) or when the other side is showing signs of following, e.g slight play in a ball joint /bush or a small weep from a shock when the other side has completely failed etc. 

The one that gets me most is springs! If the spring is intact how will there ever be a perceivable difference between it and a brand new Starline one which might only last a year or two compared to the 15 year old OEM one 🤣

I feel stretched and lacking in time and and money to give three cars the care they need so I've been thinking of downsizing .

Then Wife Shite runs out of MOT without telling us and 740 steps in again. 

I'm so confused about the right thing to do now. Maybe be more organised... I think I'll need drugs for that though.