The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I have a bit of a dilemma.  Cartakeback have offered me £300 for the Mazda 121.  The money would be useful, it'd free up some space, I'm not sure whether I'm ever going to get around to getting it MOTable again (especially now I have the Visa to get back on the road), and on top of that in the last couple of weeks it's started to be a pain in the arse to start from cold.  Those are the arguments in favour of scrapping it.  In the against column are the fact that it's a rare beastie and I'd probably get major guilt if I sent it off to be bean tins, and the fact that I still rather enjoy driving it and in fact quite like it despite its shonkiness and current uselessness as a road legal means of transport.  Ho hum.

I can't remember but did this go up for roffle? I kept hovering over the listing each time I got knocked back on another purchase, looks a cracking little car for not very much money.

26 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I can't remember but did this go up for roffle? I kept hovering over the listing each time I got knocked back on another purchase, looks a cracking little car for not very much money.

It did, but the tickets failed to sell out before the MOT expired, so I cancelled the roffle on the assumption that people probably wouldn't want an MOT-less car, and even if they did it's worth less without MOT than with.  Also I found some additional grot which would need sorting before it would pass another test.

Ooohh carp...

Someone has just pointed me at a Renault 25 Monaco for sale.

Bit scruffy, a grand, MOT to July, and relatively local.

Screenshot_20221129_202020.jpg

I owned that one very briefly back around 2003, only got to drive it once.  Always vowed I would have another one...but have absolutely got no room.  Never mind room for a car that's not been in regular use for a long while.

I absolutely have no room at the inn, and the Cavalier is already lined up to be the project for this year.  However I am still having to fight myself out of thinking about looking at it.

Neither grin nor grump on this one, so I'll put it here as a 'neutral' place. I didn't realise my old Sunny got sold again back in March, apparently reaching a heady £3,500 this time around: https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/299-1988-nissan-sunny-lx/?lot=3518&sd=1

All I can say is I certainly didn't sell it for that much, and even at an ACA sale in january it only made half that.

It had to go when it did last summer, I'd had my fun with it and hopefully helped to keep it going.

Long day....

Up 4am for work....finish at 2pm, skool run, then FiL asked me to help clear out the caravan, dam that took over 3 hours, and cause he's a nice guy he offered to deliver it too, dude gonna live in it outside his mums flat, so it had to be maneuvered into a corner space and quick run down refresher of how to do what and we left, I got home after 10pm and now I'm overtired...

Family eh...

20221129_201226.jpg

Not a grump, a sad sign of the times and a shift in affairs. So I've put it here and not the grumpy thread

Just heard of a local village family run greengrocer closing after more than 50 years trading

The sort that has "that smell" of a greengrocer, twisted paper bags, old fashioned cash register etc etc

:(

Type R has now passed its MOT with my local tester, should have gone there in the first place. All I did was take off the exhaust bracket and rubber that weren't attached to the exhaust. 

It's now for sale as my mum's old F reg Civic is replacing it. 
I might use some of the funds it raises to get myself a better MX5... 

I have no room for another car.

I already have a project parked out the front of the house planned to be my main spannering target for spring 2023.

I will be murdered with dull spoons by the rest of the family (and probably our neighbours) if I buy another car.

...So of course have just sent an email inquiring about viewing another car.

Life, why are you like this...?

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

I already have a project parked out the front of the house planned to be my main spannering target for spring 2023.

I will be murdered with dull spoons by the rest of the family (and probably our neighbours) if I buy another car.

This is perfectly normal behavior, right...? The only solution is to lock your money away.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I can relate! 

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Saab 9-3 Aero convertible. It's a lovely car but I have no need for it and it's hardly getting used. 

Today, someone at work mentioned that she's looking to sell her Citroen C1 to WBAC. I asked how much they offered for it. I thought it seemed cheap so offered a little bit more. So I think I've just bought that as well...

God fed up with the single din stereo, and not being able to see the buttons, so dug out old Faithfull stereo, a hacksaw and spaghetti wiring,  hacksaw as double dins don't fit so have to disregard the cage and enlarge the hole ohh err missus.. still got to sort out a surround trim ..

20221130_122238.jpg

20221130_121814.jpg

20221130_111849.jpg

23 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

...Aaaaand have just arranged a viewing for Saturday afternoon.  I may be about to do something very stupid.

Crap.  I'm doomed.

Unless the car is a real rot box, in which case I'll be walking away.  At least that's what I'm trying to be *really* strict with myself on, despite knowing that this is basically the last shot I'll get at one of these with there being nine left (two currently taxed) according to Howmanyleft.

All xmas cards in the village delivered this morning and all others chucked in the post box. This evening the fair wife will be installing decorations and I shall be watching her, whilst consuming my first alcoholic drink in 3 months. Although I haven't actually had a drink I haven't stopped buying the stuff, so I've managed to build up a bit of a buffer for the xmas period.

66729620_2022-11-2415_18_37.thumb.jpg.7510c3d6cf4f717cdc44d7c965f856c8.jpg

Today is the first day of xmas, so let me be the very first to wish you all a reasonable festive period.

3 hours ago, barefoot said:

All xmas cards in the village delivered this morning and all others chucked in the post box. This evening the fair wife will be installing decorations and I shall be watching her, whilst consuming my first alcoholic drink in 3 months. Although I haven't actually had a drink I haven't stopped buying the stuff, so I've managed to build up a bit of a buffer for the xmas period.

66729620_2022-11-2415_18_37.thumb.jpg.7510c3d6cf4f717cdc44d7c965f856c8.jpg

Today is the first day of xmas, so let me be the very first to wish you all a reasonable festive period.

Reciprocated but hang on chap, if you're starting on that lot today yer'll be back shopping before Xmas eve! (Or is that just my levels of consumption?) :)

There is; 2 litres of Gin, 3 litres of Fever tree, 24 bottles of whine, 7 bottles of Prosecco, 108 cans of ale & 4 of cider. If I buy a bottle of sherry for the fair wife it may well see me through to when I stop again  - January to April.

It gives me a warm feeling when I complete forms about how much I drink at the doctor's & the dentist's - with a big fat zero for 6 months of the year!

On 11/30/2022 at 6:54 PM, stuboy said:

God fed up with the single din stereo, and not being able to see the buttons, so dug out old Faithfull stereo, a hacksaw and spaghetti wiring,  hacksaw as double dins don't fit so have to disregard the cage and enlarge the hole ohh err missus.. still got to sort out a surround trim ..

20221130_122238.jpg

20221130_121814.jpg

20221130_111849.jpg

bonus too was it had my pet shop boy cd in it