The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, andyberg said:

My last day as a coach driver. And look at the quality* vehicle they have given me. My designated coach has already been reallocated 🙄

IMG_20221125_074717.jpg

Not as bad as what South Gloucestershire Bus Company often chucks on to the streets!

49 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

What are the Bovas like to drive?

I don't like them. You sit too close to the windscreen, and this one has drum rear brakes so needs a good shove on the pedal to stop it. Engines are good tho, lots of power. But as with all 20 year old coaches, they are getting a bit tired now. The company I worked for have also got two Tri axle Bovas, apparently the first two in the country when Tri axles became legal. They have a lorry gearbox with a manual 4 over 4. 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Not as bad as what South Gloucestershire Bus Company often chucks on to the streets!

Just realised they sold out in late 2019 to Stagecoach! Shame, they had some right old interesting shit heaps.

E.g. I used to catch this regularly until I moved in early 2020

IMG_20170105_182111.jpg

58 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I don't like them. You sit too close to the windscreen, and this one has drum rear brakes so needs a good shove on the pedal to stop it. Engines are good tho, lots of power. But as with all 20 year old coaches, they are getting a bit tired now. The company I worked for have also got two Tri axle Bovas, apparently the first two in the country when Tri axles became legal. They have a lorry gearbox with a manual 4 over 4. 

We don't operate Bovas, our coaches are Volvos, Scania or a couple of Mercedes Tourismos, Tourismos are lovely to drive

4 hours ago, wesacosa said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63754724

looks like that's the end of my Hobby. Anyone want to buy an XM, Favorit, Panda or Westfield :(

68 percent of people polled againt it but nothing will stop Khan swelling his coffers 

I really am going to have to get the Triumph up and running. 

Perhaps we should organise a run for everybody with an exempt, but not compliant, vehicle to descend on London on the 30th of August and drive around all day with the choke out. 

Am I being petty? Okay, perhaps not with the choke out. 

Edit: just checked the calender, it comes in on the Tuesday after the August Bank Holiday. 

So, New proposal. Bank Holiday Monday everybody with a non compliant car come and drive around the outer area whilst they can and cause gridlock. The following weekend (haven't decided wether it should be Saturday or Sunday yet) all bring our exempt vehicles along as previously proposed. 

6 hours ago, wesacosa said:

looks like that's the end of my Hobby. Anyone want to buy an XM, Favorit, Panda or Westfield :(

68 percent of people polled againt it but nothing will stop Khan swelling his coffers 

Move away? I would much rather be unemployed and living in a caravan on an island off Scotland than doing that.

I like the idea of an 'exempt' run, apart from the fact it means going in to London.

It's reminded me that I wanted to get a sticker like this for my 3 litre Shogun Sport which is saving the planet and your health, unlike my disgustingly polluting Honda Insight.

Capture9.thumb.JPG.474e22192edb3d3f4549dd7e16c8ea1f.JPG

1 hour ago, Eyersey1234 said:

We don't operate Bovas, our coaches are Volvos, Scania or a couple of Mercedes Tourismos, Tourismos are lovely to drive

My old boss loves irizars, specs them with a DAF engine 🙄. They look nice but are built down to a budget. Never driven a tourismo. I used to like the old Volvo B10M's and I would love to drive a Leyland national again.

6 hours ago, wesacosa said:

Shit position to be in but 3 top cars there, not sure about a Westfield.

7 hours ago, wesacosa said:

when so many are against it i don't really get why he's going through with it. well, i get it but you know what I mean- he's just hurting his constituents.

11 hours ago, wesacosa said:

They tried to enforce a ULEZ in Newcastle. There must have been enough opposition that it's now only limited to commercial vehicles. At the current pace I'll be long gone from where I'm living now before it would reach these parts of town fortunately.

Until then I guess there will only be more ulez refugees waiting to be saved from the crusher.

20 hours ago, wesacosa said:

It might signal the end of those particular cars, but grab some over 40 year old vehicles and stick two fingers to the ULEZ.

Its a truly ridiculous scheme. Glad to live in the sticks, but I do fear it’s only a matter of time before the whole country starts to go this way.

29 minutes ago, brownnova said:

It might signal the end of those particular cars, but grab some over 40 year old vehicles and stick two fingers to the ULEZ.

Its a truly ridiculous scheme. Glad to live in the sticks, but I do fear it’s only a matter of time before the whole country starts to go this way.

once other greedy councils see Khan has got away with it.  I don't have a huge problem with low emission zone in central London as I wouldn't drive any car there but the expansion to the M25 is somewhere between a money grabbing scheme or a vanity project for a terrible politician 

They don’t care about someone with an old car or someone running an older car as it’s what they can afford. They won’t tell you this but really they’d wish the above people would fuck off as in their eyes they want the place full of electric cars and ‘successful’ people. 

Well, the Focus is gone. WBAC took it and gave me a reasonable deal.. 3 years trouble free but with a big service, a timing belt,wheel bearing and an ECU repair in the post I thought it was time to get out.. my DERV days are done.. wee Mii replaces it from today and I rather like it so far! 

Focus was a handsome bugger though, washed it before taking it in and had milliseconds of second thoughts. It really was fully loaded top spec... but I found after a few weeks I didn't really use any of it. Will miss heated seats though.. 😪

That's a Chrysler Crossfire behind it someone had brought in 😮

Oot...

20221126_110007.thumb.jpg.67d61c9f3fc3eaa45d826d694e13e187.jpg

10 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

It really was fully loaded top spec... but I found after a few weeks I didn't really use any of it.

That's what I find. Our new Mégane estate is top spec, whereas the old one was just an Expression+, which is low spec, but all the extras don't make any real difference to driving enjoyment. It is nice having climate because you just stick it on auto, the Aircon is always on, and therefore doesn't give much trouble with loss of gas. But all the other stuff doesn't really improve the car.

Today we spent 3 hours at a motorhome place with FiL looking at very nice motors and hes signed up for this beast ( see pictures ), but he's realised it needs a c1 on licence and he's turned 70 and not renewed it, so looks like I'll be driving it home for him in a few weeks, so coming up for sale very soon will be his old caravan (pictures to be took)

20221126_104442.jpg

20221126_110036.jpg

4 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Today we spent 3 hours at a motorhome place with FiL looking at very nice motors and hes signed up for this beast ( see pictures ), but he's realised it needs a c1 on licence and he's turned 70 and not renewed it, so looks like I'll be driving it home for him in a few weeks, so coming up for sale very soon will be his old caravan (pictures to be took)

20221126_104442.jpg

20221126_110036.jpg

60 thousand pounds...

The Lanchester now has a springy beeper instead of a rattly button.  A slightly cut down Land Rover horn push spring did the job.  Trying to get through a few jobs on the Lanchester to make it more like a car and less like an ornament.  I'm pretty close to having everything buttoned up and moving on to welding work, it's just been tough to find the time to do anything.

IMAG6611.thumb.jpg.7d55656dbb02e723573d82a4e2df0a71.jpg