The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Even though I am a confirmed Anti Vagger, I seem to have just purchased a Seat Mii.  Euro 6, 60mpg, group3 insurance.. I am future proofed as much as possible for now. Focus wheel bearing has begun to groan in protest.. It knows its going.

By curiosity, is it a pre or post-facelift? facelifted cars get the fancy stereo with the tiny color screen

14 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Even though I am a confirmed Anti Vagger, I seem to have just purchased a Seat Mii.  Euro 6, 60mpg, group3 insurance.. I am future proofed as much as possible for now. Focus wheel bearing has begun to groan in protest.. It knows its going.

We've had an Up! for over 10 years now and the only unscheduled work was when my youngest son went through a flood and ripped the undertray off. We've had our Citigo for over 4 years with no problems.

15 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Boring but sensible, nothing wrong with that. 

A friend bought a 1.4 pez 2018 3 door golf a few years ago as a 'last for bloody ages' car. Says he gets it serviced with the mot every year and it's not put a foot wrong. If something breaks it should be reasonable to fix because popular. 

My grandfather bought a 1.2 Mk7 Golf a few years ago after writing his Volvo V50 off. He got it ex-demo. He has it serviced regularly and nothing has gone wrong. It’s 50 shades of silver now, due to his bodywork repairs, mind.

Best mate contacted me earlier to say that he booked in his 2015 Focus mk3.5 into the local dealer as this happened.

Screenshot_20221124-194225.thumb.png.caabc792b151c1662de15feed82a7332.png

Local dealer diagnosed it as a faulty headlamp. £1200 to replace and a deposit needs to be given to order it in.

I had a quick Google and it appears TADIS. Shit design in the light where the wires break to a connector as it moves up and down work hardening it. Considering the designers knew this was move, it's crap there is no proper strain relief. Presumably his being a petrol ST is worse as it'll be going up/down more from the hard suspension.

These guys sell a made up replacement harness for £9. Looks like I'll be one fixing it for him.

https://adaptivefix.com/guide/

He was livid that a Ford dealer wouldn't fix the light and would replace it. I tried to explain that's how they work. A dealer has comeback to Ford if a new light fails again whereas a repair they won't.

Still ridiculous really.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:47 PM, MrGTI6 said:

FFS!!! Failed my Mod 1 again this morning. It was going great right up until the very final section (hazard avoidance). This is where you have to accelerate to 50kph through a speed trap then swerve between two cones immediately afterwards.

Got up to the target speed no problem this time on both the emergency stop and hazard avoidance, but on the latter I managed to clip the inside cone with the outside of my left foot. Feeling so pissed off with myself, not least for wasting another day's holiday. I wasn't even feeling particularly nervous this time round, and the weather/conditions couldn't have been better.

Afterwards, I found out up until that point I had one minor for doing one of my figure-of-8s a bit wide. 

Third time lucky as the saying goes. At this point perhaps I should change my username to Maureen...

I am relieved to say that I passed the Mod 1 on my third attempt! Going to celebrate with a Burger King on the way home. 

7 hours ago, andyberg said:

My last day as a coach driver. And look at the quality* vehicle they have given me. My designated coach has already been reallocated 🙄

IMG_20221125_074717.jpg

Not as bad as what South Gloucestershire Bus Company often chucks on to the streets!

49 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

What are the Bovas like to drive?

I don't like them. You sit too close to the windscreen, and this one has drum rear brakes so needs a good shove on the pedal to stop it. Engines are good tho, lots of power. But as with all 20 year old coaches, they are getting a bit tired now. The company I worked for have also got two Tri axle Bovas, apparently the first two in the country when Tri axles became legal. They have a lorry gearbox with a manual 4 over 4. 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Not as bad as what South Gloucestershire Bus Company often chucks on to the streets!

Just realised they sold out in late 2019 to Stagecoach! Shame, they had some right old interesting shit heaps.

E.g. I used to catch this regularly until I moved in early 2020

IMG_20170105_182111.jpg

58 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I don't like them. You sit too close to the windscreen, and this one has drum rear brakes so needs a good shove on the pedal to stop it. Engines are good tho, lots of power. But as with all 20 year old coaches, they are getting a bit tired now. The company I worked for have also got two Tri axle Bovas, apparently the first two in the country when Tri axles became legal. They have a lorry gearbox with a manual 4 over 4. 

We don't operate Bovas, our coaches are Volvos, Scania or a couple of Mercedes Tourismos, Tourismos are lovely to drive

4 hours ago, wesacosa said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63754724

looks like that's the end of my Hobby. Anyone want to buy an XM, Favorit, Panda or Westfield :(

68 percent of people polled againt it but nothing will stop Khan swelling his coffers 

I really am going to have to get the Triumph up and running. 

Perhaps we should organise a run for everybody with an exempt, but not compliant, vehicle to descend on London on the 30th of August and drive around all day with the choke out. 

Am I being petty? Okay, perhaps not with the choke out. 

Edit: just checked the calender, it comes in on the Tuesday after the August Bank Holiday. 

So, New proposal. Bank Holiday Monday everybody with a non compliant car come and drive around the outer area whilst they can and cause gridlock. The following weekend (haven't decided wether it should be Saturday or Sunday yet) all bring our exempt vehicles along as previously proposed. 

6 hours ago, wesacosa said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63754724

looks like that's the end of my Hobby. Anyone want to buy an XM, Favorit, Panda or Westfield :(

68 percent of people polled againt it but nothing will stop Khan swelling his coffers 

Move away? I would much rather be unemployed and living in a caravan on an island off Scotland than doing that.